Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Stowaway - Flight 1683 SLC- Austin

Search this Thread

Old Mar 21, 2024, 1:32 pm

Originally Posted by vanillabean
What happened when the BP was scanned the second time?
As a gate agent, the second time this boarding pass was scanned the gate agent should have requested ID from the passenger as the gate reader would have prevented the passenger from boarding. If the stowaway scanned it first, when the "real" passenger scanned, their ID would have matched the boarding pass, at which point the GA will typically either allow the passenger to board or ask the passenger to wait until it is confirmed their seat is unoccupied. Duplicate scans now-a-days are extremely common, especially if traveling with a group or companion. People often don't pay attention to who's boarding pass is on their phone.

Per the article, the stowaway spent just about the entire time after they boarded in the lavatory, so it is plausible the GA followed SOP. Also it is not required for the lavatories to be empty to close the main cabin door, however, the aircraft should not have pushed from the gate until after all passengers were seated. The fact it left the gate with a passenger in the lavatory is on the FA's.
OHDL1, wrp96, DLASflyer and 2 others like this.
Old Mar 21, 2024, 2:23 pm

Programs: AS 75K (OW), SK Silver (*A), UR, MR
Old Mar 21, 2024, 2:50 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, UA Premier Gold
Originally Posted by Dracarys
This is pretty scary when you think about it. I had the WN companion pass last year and had to book a ticket for my "buddy". I don't understand why he wasn't on the original flight he was supposed to be on with his buddy.
Sounds like he was friend or family of an airline employee using their flight benefits. With nonrev standby, sometimes you get on and sometimes you don't.
MSPeconomist and wrp96 like this.
Old Mar 21, 2024, 4:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
This is pretty scary when you think about it. I had the WN companion pass last year and had to book a ticket for my "buddy". I don't understand why he wasn't on the original flight he was supposed to be on with his buddy.
A companion pass and buddy pass are different things.
MSPeconomist and wrp96 like this.
Old Mar 21, 2024, 5:06 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

You worked for Southwest?
hhdl likes this.
Old Mar 21, 2024, 5:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt Ist-iest, Stariott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by NRoften
Per the article, the stowaway spent just about the entire time after they boarded in the lavatory, so it is plausible the GA followed SOP. Also it is not required for the lavatories to be empty to close the main cabin door, however, the aircraft should not have pushed from the gate until after all passengers were seated. The fact it left the gate with a passenger in the lavatory is on the FA's.
I'm guessing it was a full flight with no empty seats, but had there been and he just sat down, I imagine he probably would have made it to Austin.
Spiff, moondog and DLASflyer like this.
Old Mar 21, 2024, 5:28 pm

Originally Posted by krazykanuck
I'm guessing it was a full flight with no empty seats, but had there been and he just sat down, I imagine he probably would have made it to Austin.
That's the way I read it too. And, his plan almost worked. No big deal in the grand scheme.
Old Mar 21, 2024, 5:43 pm

Programs: DL DM+(segs)/MM, UA Ag, Hilton DM, Marriott Ti (life Pt), TSA Opt-out Platinum
Smart companies use barcodes that change periodically (i.e. every minute) to prevent exactly this type of behavior (i.et. taking a pic and sending to someone else). Heck, even Costco does this...and their app is pretty weak.

Airlines could also get with the 2010's and do this via NFC which is even more secure. Arenas and stadiums have been doing this for years.
becks1 likes this.
Old Mar 21, 2024, 5:45 pm

Originally Posted by HDQDD
Smart companies use barcodes that change periodically
Haven't barcodes been pretty much obsolete for the past 5+ years?
Old Mar 21, 2024, 5:56 pm

Originally Posted by vanillabean
What happened when the BP was scanned the second time?

The gate agent ignore the warning note and let the passengers on and will soon be losing their job
lindros2 likes this.
Old Mar 21, 2024, 6:11 pm

Programs: AS 75K (OW), SK Silver (*A), UR, MR
Originally Posted by HDQDD
Smart companies use barcodes that change periodically (i.e. every minute) to prevent exactly this type of behavior (i.et. taking a pic and sending to someone else). Heck, even Costco does this...and their app is pretty weak.
Or, as Costco also does, have a picture of you in the app. So as your BP is shown on the screen, swipe left or right at boarding to let your picture be shown.
Old Mar 21, 2024, 6:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by Orange County Commuter
The gate agent ignore the warning note and let the passengers on and will soon be losing their job
Highly doubt that. If they delayed based on every "duplicate "passenger alert on domestic flight there would be lots of upset passengers. They happen and not infrequently either.
Old Mar 21, 2024, 6:42 pm

Programs: DL DM+(segs)/MM, UA Ag, Hilton DM, Marriott Ti (life Pt), TSA Opt-out Platinum
Originally Posted by moondog
Haven't barcodes been pretty much obsolete for the past 5+ years?
In my opinion yes, but in the real-world, they'll still be around for a while. Reading barcodes is pretty simple and the equipment for such is ubiquitous these days. That's a double edged sword. It's also trivially easy to create malicious bar/QR codes. However, if you're the company that both creates and reads the barcodes, you can implement your own security. Por ejemplo: DL's* barcodes have a hashed fingerprint at the end to prevent peeps from making fakes. But if they don't rotate (and apparently they don't), then one could just copy them, like happened here.

*Looks like UA uses the same type of hash so maybe its a TSA requirement.
Old Mar 21, 2024, 7:04 pm

Programs: Delta DM/3 MM; Hertz PC; National EE; Amtrak GR; Bonvoy Silver; Via Rail Préférence
I wonder if the perp is a descendant of Mrs. Ada Quonsett.
Old Mar 21, 2024, 7:18 pm

Originally Posted by Orange County Commuter
I don't think that's what happened. It was likely more like this:
  • Stowaway scans dupe barcode and it's accepted
  • Minutes later, real pax comes up and it throws an error.
  • Agent says: hold on, I need to see your ID...
  • Real pax shows ID, it matches barcode...so agent scratches head and says: ok you can board.
  • Agent makes mental note to verify final count onboard, since that will reveal if there is indeed someone who already boarded in that spot. Then they can sort it out.
  • In this case, said stowaway pulled a fast one with the lav arbitrage and got away with it, so the counts would have matched, and since it was a full flight with no dupe seats...no one suspected the discrepancy.
If anyone is at fault, it's the inflight crew, but I think this is far from a fire-able offense. Other mitigation options include improving digital security (rolling barcodes, NFC, facial rec, etc.), or go back to checking everyone's ID at the gate...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.