Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Currently only PAX on YYZ-DTW in 2 weeks!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Currently only PAX on YYZ-DTW in 2 weeks!

Search this Thread

Old Mar 13, 2024, 10:47 pm

Programs: DL: PM
Originally Posted by flyerCO
It happens. I remember during CV19 being the only passenger on an AF 777 CDG-IAH. (Not just in my cabin, but all of plane)
How was the flight experience?
Old Mar 13, 2024, 11:25 pm

Programs: Alaska, Delta, Southwest
That reminds me of flying back from LA shortly after 9/11 - there were only about 30 of us on an MD-11 from LAX-ATL (flight came from NRT), and 17 on an MD-88 from there to JAN. ATL Concourse D was practically deserted.

On one of my dad's trips to China, a fellow passenger told him she was once the only passenger on a 747 flight (Northwest from their Tokyo hub to somewhere else in Asia back in the 80s or 90s - I don't recall any more specific than that unfortunately).

Hope it works out for you!
Old Mar 14, 2024, 4:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by Ewele
How was the flight experience?

Great. The crew were obviously bored out of their minds. They offered myltiple meals, just trying to find something to do. (I think they had loaded like 10 meals just in case people bought a ticket)
strickerj and pt360 like this.
Old Mar 14, 2024, 6:17 am

Programs: Non-Affiliated
Originally Posted by sydneyracquelle
Or VIA Rail between Union Station to/from Windsor.
And if this article is to be believed, eventually Detroit.

Amtrak’s Vision: Chicago — Detroit — Toronto

If they could do this high speed, that would be a fantastic service. But I suppose any service at all is a plus.
pt360 likes this.
Old Mar 14, 2024, 6:40 am

Programs: Marriot TE, Delta DM, UA Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by james318
And if this article is to be believed, eventually Detroit.

Amtrak’s Vision: Chicago — Detroit — Toronto

If they could do this high speed, that would be a fantastic service. But I suppose any service at all is a plus.
This would be such an economic stimulus for all cities - as a Detroiter I can't tell you how many times myself and friends would have loved to go to either cities but it's just a pain, plus driving and parking and all that. For such an advanced society we have today one would think mass transit would exist. Plus, should drive down the cost of those flight lol
Old Mar 14, 2024, 6:46 am

Programs: Non-Affiliated
Originally Posted by pt360
This would be such an economic stimulus for all cities - as a Detroiter I can't tell you how many times myself and friends would have loved to go to either cities but it's just a pain, plus driving and parking and all that. For such an advanced society we have today one would think mass transit would exist. Plus, should drive down the cost of those flight lol
Former Detroiter (still am at heart) and I couldn't agree more. I used to make day trips to Toronto to visit family, see a matinee, or just get a veal sandwich. These days, the traffic is too much to be effective to do. Chicago was never practical for a day trip, but with rail it could be an option. And to bring it back to being Delta related, they can slap a code share on it.
Old Mar 14, 2024, 6:23 pm

Programs: DL DM
Makes me wonder - what's the deal with one way rentals between the two airports? Are they charged an international drop fee? Or some special understanding?
I've heard people suggest it before and always wondered - also about YVR and SEA?

Originally Posted by pt360
Funny you mention that James - when I have nearly missed my connection I have contemplated a one way rental to get back home instead of taking a very late layover after missing a flight! 4-5 hours in YYZ when I could just rent a car and get home is much more appealing.
Old Mar 14, 2024, 6:29 pm

Originally Posted by remyontheroad
Makes me wonder - what's the deal with one way rentals between the two airports? Are they charged an international drop fee? Or some special understanding?
I've heard people suggest it before and always wondered - also about YVR and SEA?
During Covid I got a one-way DTW>YYZ car rental for dirt cheap and no drop fee (dual citizen). Last year it was prohibitive so I taxied from DTW to Windsor airport and rented a car there and dropped it at YYZ for no drop fee. No Uber or Lyft will take you from DTW to Windsor. It had to be a taxi.
Old Mar 14, 2024, 7:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
During Covid I got a one-way DTW>YYZ car rental for dirt cheap and no drop fee (dual citizen). Last year it was prohibitive so I taxied from DTW to Windsor airport and rented a car there and dropped it at YYZ for no drop fee. No Uber or Lyft will take you from DTW to Windsor. It had to be a taxi.
I've done YYZ-BUF. They apparently have agreements to handle. The biggest issue I was told, they can only rent the car out if it's going back to other country. They can't simply rent it out as a local rental till someone books a OW.
Old Mar 14, 2024, 7:11 pm

I've done YYZ-BUF. They apparently have agreements to handle. The biggest issue I was told, they can only rent the car out if it's going back to other country. They can't simply rent it out as a local rental till someone books a OW.
YYZ>BUF typically only Hertz will do with a huge surcharge. And the huge surcharge is every day of the rental. So if the surcharge is $200 that’s $1,400 for 7 days. So I only pay the surcharge on day 1 by returning it and then renting a local car.
Old Mar 14, 2024, 7:21 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AF/KL Gold, DL Diamond, Hertz PC, Bonvoy Gold Elite; Hilton Gold
When Thailand started opening up after covid lockdowns but Singapore was still closed and only allowed international transfers, I flew on AF J CDG-SIN in a 777. There were 3 of us in J and 6 in Y. Right before departure, the captain came into the business cabin and asked if anyone had any pushback on inviting the 6 Y passengers gets into business. No one had any protest. So he went back and brought them forward. AF had installed cargo mesh netting in the galley aisles behind the PE and the entire economy section seats were filled with parcel boxes.
Old Mar 14, 2024, 7:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

YYZ>BUF typically only Hertz will do with a huge surcharge. And the huge surcharge is every day of the rental. So if the surcharge is $200 that’s $1,400 for 7 days. So I only pay the surcharge on day 1 by returning it and then renting a local car.
Yeah definitely not cheap. What I've learned to do, book OW to Niagara Falls, ON. (There's no fee normally) Return vehicle there and simply book taxi across border. (There's plenty of reliable, cheap taxi services that offer this) Just note, even if the taxi driver has Nexus/GE, they can't take you via the Nexus Bridge since they're operating as a commercial transportation.
Old Mar 15, 2024, 6:00 am
Original Poster

Programs: AF/KL Gold, DL Diamond, Hertz PC, Bonvoy Gold Elite; Hilton Gold
I'm guessing 26th based on OP posy and seatmaps.

However I do show at least two assigned coach seats.

Also I'm not sure when they started having 6 daily flights, not 5. This could also be issue.
Good sleuthing man! Yeah, it looks like 2 others have now joined our private charter that morning…
Old Mar 15, 2024, 9:06 am

Programs: DL DM
Interesting.

So it sounds the same as EU cross border returns.
I've played around a bunch with some of the same strategies to expand options for flights. Mostly between France and Italy on the coast. I still haven't gotten it to make sense for me yet, it's something that I think about.

Good to know.

Yeah definitely not cheap. What I've learned to do, book OW to Niagara Falls, ON. (There's no fee normally) Return vehicle there and simply book taxi across border. (There's plenty of reliable, cheap taxi services that offer this) Just note, even if the taxi driver has Nexus/GE, they can't take you via the Nexus Bridge since they're operating as a commercial transportation.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.