Search

Delta raises checked bag fee by $5

Search this Thread

Old Mar 5, 2024, 9:36 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K, DL PM, AA Nobody, Marriott Ambassador Elite
Delta raises checked bag fee by $5

Matching the others:

Delta is the latest airline to raise its checked bag fee (cnbc.com)

What I am waiting for is a crackdown on carry-on luggage. Will we get a bag sizer at the gate?
Old Mar 5, 2024, 10:25 am

Programs: Delta SkyMiles (DM), Marriott Bonvoy (Titanium, LTP)
I wish DL actually would be more strict about carry-on luggage - especially so for so-called "personal items" that often include backpacks that are bigger than 21" carry-on luggage.

I also have to think that even DL is smart enough not to one-two punch themselves by combining an increase in checked luggage fee with an announcement of an end to the 20-minute baggage claim guarantee. But, who knows?
hockeystl and dtwtransport like this.
Old Mar 5, 2024, 3:36 pm

Originally Posted by chipbennett
I wish DL actually would be more strict about carry-on luggage - especially so for so-called "personal items" that often include backpacks that are bigger than 21" carry-on luggage.

I also have to think that even DL is smart enough not to one-two punch themselves by combining an increase in checked luggage fee with an announcement of an end to the 20-minute baggage claim guarantee. But, who knows?
The rumored end to the 20 minute guarantee appears to be just that....a rumor. The 20min rule is still showing on Delta.com so....it's still in play.
GagaPilot and chipbennett like this.
Old Mar 5, 2024, 4:45 pm
ryw

Programs: DL GM, Marriott Titanium
(Fees) Keep Climbing.

But now that AmEx Delta Gold card is "worth" $140 per year if you fly 2 round trips and check a bag!
Old Mar 5, 2024, 6:17 pm

Programs: AAdvantage, MileagePlus, SkyMiles
Sigh. I might be showing my age here, but whatever happened to competition and being that unique carrier not to institute fees that others did?

Remember that time when pmUS charged for water/coffee, and how nobody else followed? Pepperidge Farm remembers.
Old Mar 5, 2024, 10:48 pm

Programs: DL 2MM/DM, Hilton LT Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Marriot Titanium
Not surprised, but why did Delta take so long to copy cat AA & UA? I wonder what percentage of a flight is actually paying a baggage fee?
Old Mar 5, 2024, 11:33 pm

Programs: DL Platinum, "alum" of high status with UA but not any more
I suspect most posters in FT Forum have status and/or airline credit cards so will generally be unaffected by this increase in the fee for a checked bag . . .other than the effect it might have on overhead bin space as the disincentive to check a bag becomes even greater.

It's getting to the point that the incremental price of a first class ticket may be worth it just to get the free checked baggage allowance (typically 2 free bags for a domestic first class trip). $35 for first bag, $45 for second bag = $160 to check two bags each direction of a round trip.

On some short-distance flights, and even on occasion a medium-distance flight (e.g., SEA-SAN) I've seen "buy ups" to first class for less than $100 each way. So if you can pay an extra $100 each way ($200 round trip) for first class the entire round trip, but save $160 in baggage fees, you'll effectively get a first class experience for only $20 each way.
Old Mar 6, 2024, 2:18 am

Programs: Delta Skymiles - Platinum; Hertz - President's Circle; Expedia - Gold
Here is an idea like happens everywhere on land in Europe: they can charge a fee to use the toilet 🚽🧻.
Or provide more inches of toilet paper for paid C+ fares 💡
Old Mar 6, 2024, 7:44 am

Programs: Delta SkyMiles (DM), Marriott Bonvoy (Titanium, LTP)
Originally Posted by OHDL1
The rumored end to the 20 minute guarantee appears to be just that....a rumor. The 20min rule is still showing on Delta.com so....it's still in play.
That was my view from the initial posting of the rumor (consider the source). I think this change further erodes credibility in that rumor.
hhdl likes this.
Old Mar 6, 2024, 9:47 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by andrewk829
I suspect most posters in FT Forum have status and/or airline credit cards so will generally be unaffected by this increase in the fee for a checked bag . . .other than the effect it might have on overhead bin space as the disincentive to check a bag becomes even greater.

It's getting to the point that the incremental price of a first class ticket may be worth it just to get the free checked baggage allowance (typically 2 free bags for a domestic first class trip). $35 for first bag, $45 for second bag = $160 to check two bags each direction of a round trip.

On some short-distance flights, and even on occasion a medium-distance flight (e.g., SEA-SAN) I've seen "buy ups" to first class for less than $100 each way. So if you can pay an extra $100 each way ($200 round trip) for first class the entire round trip, but save $160 in baggage fees, you'll effectively get a first class experience for only $20 each way.
However, people need to be careful to understand what they're purchasing when they opt to pay for an upgrade: is it really an upgrade to a FC ticket or only a fee to be able to pick a FC seat? The latter shouldn't come with free checked bag privileges.
Old Mar 6, 2024, 11:32 am

Programs: AAdvantage, MileagePlus, SkyMiles
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
However, people need to be careful to understand what they're purchasing when they opt to pay for an upgrade: is it really an upgrade to a FC ticket or only a fee to be able to pick a FC seat? The latter shouldn't come with free checked bag privileges.
FWIW, my domestic itinerary is offering a F upgrade "buy-up", and it explicitly says I'd get 2 checked bags if I did the buy-up to F. Non-elite here.
hhdl and andrewk829 like this.
Old Mar 6, 2024, 3:54 pm

Originally Posted by ryw
(Fees) Keep Climbing.

But now that AmEx Delta Gold card is "worth" $140 per year if you fly 2 round trips and check a bag!
Seriously, it does improve the math in favor of having a Delta CC.
Old Mar 6, 2024, 5:38 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium, Hilton and Wyndham Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Delta Plat, United Silver, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by chipbennett
Or start enforcing the "second item must go under the seat" rule. That would save a lot of bin space.
chipbennett and dtwtransport like this.
Old Apr 10, 2024, 8:08 pm

Programs: DL DM MM, Hyatt LT Globalist, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz PC
I'm surprised there isn't more conversation (outrage) about the baggage allowance changes- eg 2nd bag fees for Medallions, reduction of 70lbs to 50lbs if not in a premium cabin, etc..
Old Apr 10, 2024, 8:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Peatisback
I'm surprised there isn't more conversation (outrage) about the baggage allowance changes- eg 2nd bag fees for Medallions, reduction of 70lbs to 50lbs if not in a premium cabin, etc..
I don't follow too closely (since I rarely check bags). But other than PS cabin, there doesn't seem to be much changed here.

https://web.archive.org/web/20220129...gage-allowance

https://www.delta.com/us/en/baggage/...gage-allowance

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.