Wiki Posts
Search

Rumor that 20 minute guarantee ending

Search this Thread

Old Feb 27, 2024, 6:48 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL Diamond, UA Premier Gold
Rumor that 20 minute guarantee ending

Delta will end the 20 minute baggage guarantee next month. Bummer. I cashed in a ton. Probably at least 500,000 miles over the years. I wasn’t gaming the system, just made sure to always claim upon Delta’s failure to deliver as promised.

https://viewfromthewing.com/delta-ai...am-next-month/
Old Feb 27, 2024, 6:52 am

Programs: Delta SkyMiles (DM), Marriott Bonvoy (Titanium, LTP)
Gary Leff. Unnamed, unattributed, anonymous source. No confirmation from Delta. Might be true, but the post is 100% unsubstantiated rumor.

Trust, but verify.
Old Feb 27, 2024, 6:58 am

Programs: Marriot TE, Delta DM, UA Gold, Hilton Diamond
Yea, his only thought and source is he called and asked about it and they said "we have not announced anything". A cursory google shows nobody else is saying this. It would suck if it did end, but I don't see why Delta would do so. Heck I forget to do this claim all the time since I rarely check bags, think I have only done it once or twice in the last year out of maybe 10-12 flights checking in.
Old Feb 27, 2024, 7:03 am
VFR

Programs: AA PP, DL PM
I suspect that it was paid for by the below-the-wing contractor and contractors started pricing the DL contract up compared to other airlines.

It's a shame if this is true though, since on my normal route (BOS-DEN) I have gotten a lot of miles.
Old Feb 27, 2024, 7:24 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by VFR
I suspect that it was paid for by the below-the-wing contractor and contractors started pricing the DL contract up compared to other airlines.

It's a shame if this is true though, since on my normal route (BOS-DEN) I have gotten a lot of miles.
My home airport is Unifi and they definitely were incentivized to meet the 20 minute threshold. To the point that a few years ago they realized they could scan “delivered to claim” planeside and game Delta’s system. Bags delivered 40 min after arrival don’t qualify for the guarantee
dmarge18 likes this.
Old Feb 27, 2024, 7:51 am
VFR

Programs: AA PP, DL PM
Originally Posted by DLASflyer
My home airport is Unifi and they definitely were incentivized to meet the 20 minute threshold. To the point that a few years ago they realized they could scan “delivered to claim” planeside and game Delta’s system. Bags delivered 40 min after arrival don’t qualify for the guarantee
I feel like they would get caught doing this pretty fast, both due to passengers complaining and the planeside scan being too fast. I think the RFID bag tag scanners are physically on the baggage claim too.
Old Feb 27, 2024, 8:07 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by VFR
I feel like they would get caught doing this pretty fast, both due to passengers complaining and the planeside scan being too fast. I think the RFID bag tag scanners are physically on the baggage claim too.
Nah. I talked to a ramper I know there and he said the guy at the belt loader has two scanners. Left hand is "Bag off plane" and right hand is "Delivered to Claim." They've been doing it for years and no one at Delta cares. After all it saves them money.
DrMilano and VFR like this.
Old Feb 27, 2024, 8:54 am

Programs: DL 2MM/DM, Hilton LT Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Marriot Titanium
If true, then just submit tardy delivered baggage claims via complaint link and Delta AI CS will hopefully award Sky Pesos.
rylan and T-15.01 like this.
Old Feb 27, 2024, 10:04 am

Programs: DL DM 1.929MM, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, IHG Platinum, Avis CHM, Marriott Titanium (lifetime gold)
Delta will end the 20 minute baggage guarantee next month. Bummer. I cashed in a ton. Probably at least 500,000 miles over the years. I wasn’t gaming the system, just made sure to always claim upon Delta’s failure to deliver as promised.

https://viewfromthewing.com/delta-ai...am-next-month/
I just always file the claim and see what happens. Occasionally it is rejected when I don't think they made the 20 minutes, but it seemed to average out.

I have also seen this on Facebook from a very trustworthy source.

David
Old Feb 27, 2024, 10:06 am

Originally Posted by DiverDave
I just always file the claim and see what happens. Occasionally it is rejected when I don't think they made the 20 minutes, but it seemed to average out.

I have also seen this on Facebook from a very trustworthy source.

David
Why isn't anyone citing/linking their trustworthy sources?
Old Feb 27, 2024, 10:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Well if this is true, then I'll start sending in complaints through the DL website about bags taking 30+ min to get delivered, and also that skypriority bags come out later/last than others.
Old Feb 27, 2024, 10:29 am

Originally Posted by rylan
Well if this is true, then I'll start sending in complaints through the DL website about bags taking 30+ min to get delivered, and also that skypriority bags come out later/last than others.
I've anecdotally noticed this, too. But I check bags so infrequently, that I never got terribly bothered by it.
emma dog likes this.
Old Feb 27, 2024, 10:40 am

Programs: DL, UA
About the same time to file a complaint. Irrespective of whether there's a link to make the claim, they've set an expectation of 20 minutes and if the 2500 mile offer goes away, the expectation shouldn't. I'll file separately and they may even give more. Many times I have to check due to size of the bag.....and it is a positive difference that Delta are routinely faster. Here's hoping that stays the case.
Old Feb 27, 2024, 10:41 am

Probably at least 500,000 miles over the years.
That's a lot of late bags! Any particular arriving airports you've had more issues with? Since the program was rolled out, I think I was only able to use it twice...we check bags whenever I travel with my family (a fair bit) and never seem to have much of an issue. Maybe I'm just lucky, though.
indufan, NoleATL and newEUer like this.
Old Feb 27, 2024, 10:59 am

Programs: DL GM 1MM, MR LT Titanium
Keep in mind that Gary Leff is the same person who once used Wikipedia as a source to claim DL was buying AA's A330s:

I've asked the moderators to update the title of this thread to include the word rumor.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.