Wiki Posts
Search

Flight Change with GUC

Search this Thread

Old Mar 5, 2024, 6:29 am
Original Poster

Programs: Delta, United, American
Flight Change with GUC

Hi all - i apologize if this has already been asked. I have a multi-city itinerary coming up, and I’m needing to change the return.

PDX-SEA-LHR, using GUC confirmed to D1

LHR-JFK, premium on Virgin

When I have messaged or called in, they are repricing the entire ticket (significantly more expensive since purchased), ~$1700 more for the same cabin, different flight on VS.

Funny enough, my sister is on a separate reservation with no GUC. When she uses the app to switch, she can change flights and upgrade to Upper Class for $700 on the same flight i’m trying to switch to.

Wondering if this is just the rules of the game, that a round trip is entirely repriced even if just changing the return. I would absolutely use the app, but the confirmed GUC locks me out.
Old Mar 5, 2024, 6:58 am

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Gold, GlobalEntry, Admirals Club, United Club
I don't know if they always re-price the ticket but I know there are definitely situations where they do, such as if the fare rules have min/max stay requirements or other restrictions and your new itinerary doesn't meet those.

If you post the dates of your travel and the dates you're trying to change to (and possibly the date you purchased the tickets) someone here can probably give you better info. Even better if you can find the fare code.
Old Mar 5, 2024, 7:07 am
Original Poster

Thanks for the quick response. This is the fare:

Fare Details: PDX DL X/SEA DL LON980.00GHX87SPJ DL NYC355.00GHN46NPJ NUC1335.00END ROE1.00 XF PDX4.5SEA4.5 Fare Details: PDX DL X/SEA DL LON980.00GHX87SPJ DL NYC355.00GHN46NPJ NUC1335.00END ROE1.00 XF PDX4.5SEA4.5

June 9 PDX-SEA-LHR
June 16 LHR-JFK

Original Fare class Premium/G both ways, cleared into D1/OK class with GUC on June 9 outbound

Trying to change to
June 9 PDX-SEA-LHR (same outbound)
June 15 LHR-JFK
Old Mar 5, 2024, 7:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Changing the ticket will always revalidate all of it.

Your new itinerary violates the 7-day minimum stay provision of the original fare. Using fares in effect at ticketing, this would reprice to PHX80NPJ outbound (USD 1380.00 add/collect) and AHX70NP1 (USD 245.00 add/collect). In theory the GUC should need to re-clear, and not sure if there is space (Z0 alone, Z3 married from PDX).
Old Mar 5, 2024, 9:31 am
Original Poster

I sincerely appreciate you looking and providing this analysis. Extremely helpful.
Old Mar 5, 2024, 12:52 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by findark
Changing the ticket will always revalidate all of it.

Your new itinerary violates the 7-day minimum stay provision of the original fare. Using fares in effect at ticketing, this would reprice to PHX80NPJ outbound (USD 1380.00 add/collect) and AHX70NP1 (USD 245.00 add/collect). In theory the GUC should need to re-clear, and not sure if there is space (Z0 alone, Z3 married from PDX).
Sometimes you can change for free after the outbound portion has been flown. This requires meeting minimum stay, day of week, etc. restrictions in the fare and also needs fare class availability on the new flight(s).
Old Mar 5, 2024, 1:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Sometimes you can change for free after the outbound portion has been flown. This requires meeting minimum stay, day of week, etc. restrictions in the fare and also needs fare class availability on the new flight(s).
Sort of - the same revalidation occurs, but you automatically get credit for available inventory on segments already flown. If the issue were a lack of inventory, waiting to fly the outbound can help since you still get historical fares and historical AP for the return even if you change the day before departure.

However, this won't help OP go below the minimum stay requirement.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.