Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Delta Credit Card Strategy

Search this Thread

Old Mar 26, 2024, 4:38 pm

Programs: Delta DM, 2MM
Originally Posted by vtgambler
I've had the Platinum and/or Reserve card for 5-6 years. I've never been able to successfully use a companion ticket. I did find the Reserve card worth it when I was transiting through DTW a lot and could use the clubs. The ability to earn MQMs and get the MQD waiver also came in handy at times. Not so much with all the program changes.
I redeem about 10 per year. You're not doing something right.
Old Mar 26, 2024, 6:23 pm

Programs: UA GS>1K>Nothing; DL DM 2MM; AS 75K>Nothing>MVP
Probably covered already, but once I hit DM is there any reason to continue to put any charges on my DL Reserve card?
Old Mar 26, 2024, 6:27 pm

Originally Posted by 5khours
Probably covered already, but once I hit DM is there any reason to continue to put any charges on my DL Reserve card?
Only $75k for unlimited 2025 SC.
Old Mar 26, 2024, 6:33 pm

Originally Posted by sydneyracquelle
Only $75k for unlimited 2025 SC.
I'm past $75k already,
Old Mar 27, 2024, 11:00 am

Programs: DL Gold, HHDiamond, IHG Plat Regular Joe Everywhere Else
Originally Posted by 5khours
I'm past $75k already,
Unless you're looking to get extra Skymiles for spending, then there is no reason at this point.
Old Mar 28, 2024, 5:02 am

Originally Posted by Dracarys
Unless you're looking to get extra Skymiles for spending, then there is no reason at this point.
That's kind of what I had concluded. Compared to points I can earn on other cards, SM seems pretty worthless.

Kind of wonder though what Amex is thinking. Maybe they'll figure it out when they see enough cases where card spending drops from $100k in the first quarter to zero for the rest of the year.
Old Apr 6, 2024, 11:49 am
ffI

Programs: AA EXP2M, DL 1MM DM ext, UA PP <=> HH G/Marr PE/Hyatt G/IHG P FT RA ( Recovering Addict)
Originally Posted by glong989
If I paid a card fee in January for the DL Reserve and wanted to cancel it and switch to AMEX Platinum does anyone know if AMEX would be amenable to applying that Reserve fee to the Platinum or would I be stuck with two fees for 2024?
If it is your first year of charges dont do anything. Amex RAT team does not look kindly on people who get bonus and then cancel or downgrade at once.
If it is a renewal for the Reserve (after 12 months), just call and downgrade it (or even by online chat), to the Gold card = retains 15% off benefit
- Amex will rporate the fees (and not bother with your Companion certificate)
If you have another DL card then convert the personal Reserve to the Fee free blue card (we had 2 Delta cards for years to get the MQMs from spend)
Get the Amex Platinum then for lounge access
Old Apr 6, 2024, 12:33 pm

Originally Posted by ffI
If it is your first year of charges dont do anything. Amex RAT team does not look kindly on people who get bonus and then cancel or downgrade at once.
If it is a renewal for the Reserve (after 12 months), just call and downgrade it (or even by online chat), to the Gold card = retains 15% off benefit
- Amex will rporate the fees (and not bother with your Companion certificate)
If you have another DL card then convert the personal Reserve to the Fee free blue card (we had 2 Delta cards for years to get the MQMs from spend)
Get the Amex Platinum then for lounge access
Wait until companion cert hits your DL wallet to downgrade. You have 30 days to cancel/downgrade.
ffI likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.