Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Delta adds Boston to Honolulu, more frequencies on existing HI routes

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 16, 2024, 11:22 am
Original Poster

Programs: Delta 360 and Two Million Miler, Air Canada 25k, Marriott Ambassador and Lifetime Titanium

This is great to see. Shame it’s a 767-300 from Boston, but love to see Delta continuing to invest in Hawaii.

https://news.delta.com/delta-deepens-leisure-footprint-new-routes-hawaii-and-miami
N830MH likes this.
Old Feb 16, 2024, 11:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Long flight for a 767 and agree its a shame an 11hr+ flight is on a 767 with the old cabins and seats, and small screens for the IFE.
Old Feb 16, 2024, 1:33 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum; Hilton Diamond; Marriot Gold
Originally Posted by rylan
Long flight for a 767 and agree its a shame an 11hr+ flight is on a 767 with the old cabins and seats, and small screens for the IFE.
I disagree - I think for such a long flight having 2-3-2 in the back is much more ideal, especially for couples who may be traveling together. That's the vast majority of people who would be traveling this route anyways, not business travelers. The back has the larger IFE if I'm remembering correctly.
josephstern, IggySD, dw and 3 others like this.
Old Feb 16, 2024, 1:58 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta 360 and Two Million Miler, Air Canada 25k, Marriott Ambassador and Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by Pianoman109876
I disagree - I think for such a long flight having 2-3-2 in the back is much more ideal, especially for couples who may be traveling together. That's the vast majority of people who would be traveling this route anyways, not business travelers. The back has the larger IFE if I'm remembering correctly.
You make a fair point too. I think it just depends on whether you are flying Delta One or Main Cabin. An Airbus A330 would be good for couples in economy as well with a 2-4-2 config. One benefit as a New York-based flyer - this is one more 767-300ER that won't be flying out of JFK!
Old Feb 16, 2024, 2:18 pm

Programs: DL PM, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hertz Presidents Circle
Nice to see but I still don’t understand why DL won’t focus more on the outer HI islands like KOA or LIH. DL is the only carrier that doesn’t offer daytime/non-red eye options from either of those destinations back to the mainland. You’d think a morning outbound/midday return to LAX or SEA from KOA would work but apparently not. I believe DL use to fly SLC-KOA 10+ years ago but that hasn’t returned either.
Old Feb 16, 2024, 2:47 pm

Programs: DL PM,1MM
Have they posted any of the flight times yet for these flights? I was curious what the times were for the 2nd nonstop out of SLC. Were they going to mirror the new Hawaiian nonstop that starts in May? While more choice of times is great, I do hope SLC doesn't lose the widebody currently on that option.
Old Feb 16, 2024, 3:21 pm

Programs: NW GE
Interesting choice for so much HNL growth. How many tourists going to HNL vs neighbor islands these days? Especially given the potential impact of an AS/HA tie up on HNL - OGG/LIH/KOA flights
N830MH likes this.
Old Feb 16, 2024, 4:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by Lyaec350
Interesting choice for so much HNL growth. How many tourists going to HNL vs neighbor islands these days? Especially given the potential impact of an AS/HA tie up on HNL - OGG/LIH/KOA flights
HNL/OGG are the main destinations. Unless OGG has fully recovered, HNL I suspect is where the money is.

HA/AS will have to continue codeshares on intera-island flights. No way DOT approves merger otherwise.
Old Feb 16, 2024, 4:28 pm

Programs: DL 2 MM Unobtainum | UA 1.1MM Gold | MR Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by Lyaec350
Hawaiian currently flies BOSHNL and from what I am seeing it's about $220OW so I can't imagine DL commanding a premium in this market with dilutive yields that can be flowed over different carrier hubs.
Old Feb 16, 2024, 4:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM & 2MM™, Lifetime HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by flyerCO
HNL/OGG are the main destinations. Unless OGG has fully recovered, HNL I suspect is where the money is.
While certainly OGG caters to an affluent crowd, Maui is fairly out of reach price-wise for many Americans. Not that Oahu isn't too but much less so. This is before or after recovery.
flyerCO likes this.
Old Feb 16, 2024, 7:55 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum/1MM, Hilton Diamond
I wonder what the RUC availability for these flights will be.
Old Feb 16, 2024, 8:24 pm

Programs: AS, DL, UA, Hilton, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott
Originally Posted by Smaug
I wonder what the RUC availability for these flights will be.
If it was like JFK-HNL, there may be a period where the algorithm learns the buying and travel patterns. I remember being very surprised to be able to clear directly into D1 via RUCs on the route with one way clearing into the very last open seat at the time and the other way having 3 seats open (IME on this route they block 3 seats up to gate control and use 1 for the pilot rest)
Old Feb 16, 2024, 8:48 pm

Programs: DL; AA; UA; CO; LHLX; NZ; QR; EK; BA
Originally Posted by brazzleman
Have they posted any of the flight times yet for these flights? I was curious what the times were for the 2nd nonstop out of SLC. Were they going to mirror the new Hawaiian nonstop that starts in May? While more choice of times is great, I do hope SLC doesn't lose the widebody currently on that option.
Both SLC-HNL flights are currently scheduled to be 763s. The new flight is an afternoon departure out of SLC and an early evening return out of HNL.
brazzleman and dtwtransport like this.
Old Feb 17, 2024, 12:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
That’s a surprising route. HAs service is still kind of newish and this is a lot of seat-add on the non-stop. Unless DL is heavily banking on connecting traffic, this route doesn’t make a lot of sense. Perhaps it will become more clear once the flight times are out, with a mid-day BOS departure and a true red-eye coming back this could be an attractive option I guess. I wonder if HNL-Asia is coming - that would then be quite interesting.
Old Feb 17, 2024, 1:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by cfischer
That’s a surprising route. HAs service is still kind of newish and this is a lot of seat-add on the non-stop. Unless DL is heavily banking on connecting traffic, this route doesn’t make a lot of sense. Perhaps it will become more clear once the flight times are out, with a mid-day BOS departure and a true red-eye coming back this could be an attractive option I guess. I wonder if HNL-Asia is coming - that would then be quite interesting.
DL has a daily HND-HNL flight

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.