Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

International to domestic connection MSP (separate itineraries)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 11, 2024, 8:02 pm
Original Poster

I currently have a flight booked from FRA to MSP in J on LH that gets in at 1:15PM. Need to get to LAX via Delta - I see a 3:35PM flight. Wondering if that's enough time? Won't have any checked bags, and have global entry, clear, and tsa precheck.
Old Jan 11, 2024, 8:49 pm

Programs: Delta PM, Hyatt Discoverist, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by wtphock
I currently have a flight booked from FRA to MSP in J on LH that gets in at 1:15PM. Need to get to LAX via Delta - I see a 3:35PM flight. Wondering if that's enough time? Won't have any checked bags, and have global entry, clear, and tsa precheck.
Probably, but I don’t think they’ve officially announced where LH will clear immigration at MSP. It’s assumed to be T1, in which case this will be just like a DL international to domestic connection. That said, be aware that if your flight is delayed, Delta is under no obligation to rebook you.
Old Jan 12, 2024, 3:49 am

Programs: Delta Skymiles - Platinum; Hertz - President's Circle; Expedia - Gold
If you book a changeable fare or if you have Delta status for same day confirmed change you could have a plan B of changing the LAX flight if LH arrives late
Old Jan 12, 2024, 5:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by jrkmsp
Probably, but I don’t think they’ve officially announced where LH will clear immigration at MSP. It’s assumed to be T1, in which case this will be just like a DL international to domestic connection. That said, be aware that if your flight is delayed, Delta is under no obligation to rebook you.
I would assume T1. Only LCC use other terminal. Even LH partner UA/AC use T1.
Old Jan 12, 2024, 5:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by wtphock
Absent a really late flight you'll have plenty of time.
Old Jan 12, 2024, 9:57 am

Programs: DL Platinum, 1 MM
When did LH start flying to MSP?
Old Jan 12, 2024, 10:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K (1MM), DL Gold (1MM), Marriott LTT
Originally Posted by drminn
When did LH start flying to MSP?
June 4, 2024.

-RM
becks1, JPG3392 and andrewk829 like this.
Old Jan 12, 2024, 10:23 am

Programs: DL DM
Originally Posted by Firstboss
If you book a changeable fare or if you have Delta status for same day confirmed change you could have a plan B of changing the LAX flight if LH arrives late
No for sure way to know if the same class of service would be available for a last minute change. SDC requires same fare bucket inventory (if you are Gold or higher)
Old Jan 12, 2024, 2:31 pm

Programs: Delta PM, 1MM
Originally Posted by jrkmsp
I do volunteer work at MSP, sometimes in CBP. The Immigrations agents confirmed that the LH flights will clear immigration at T1. This is a change since currently the only international arrivals into T1 CBP are SkyTeam flights. Delta will have to share the arriving passenger management and bag recheck area with LH.
happydad100 and andrewk829 like this.
Old Jan 12, 2024, 3:59 pm

Programs: AA - Platinum Pro; Hilton - Gold
Said by others at this point, but I've done a similar connection a few times (albeit on Delta/Skyteam on one itinerary, so no risk) but have been more than fine with this amount of time. As others said, T1 customs is quick so the only issue you'd run into is the fact that you're switching LH to DL if there's a delay, but you'd know that before you leave FRA and can adjust if really needed before you leave the ground.
Old Jan 12, 2024, 5:34 pm

Programs: Flying Blue, Hilton Honors, Amtrak Guest Rewards
Originally Posted by Mr. Tickets
No for sure way to know if the same class of service would be available for a last minute change. SDC requires same fare bucket inventory (if you are Gold or higher)
Paid Comfort+ (and paid F) can SDC as long as there's Y fare availability. Silver and non-Medallions can pay a flat $75 to SDC.
Old Jan 12, 2024, 5:57 pm

Programs: DL Gold, UA Gold, B6 Mosaic, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by flyerCO
I would assume T1. Only LCC use other terminal. Even LH partner UA/AC use T1.
Icelandair, Condor, and Aer Lingus uses T2.
Old Jan 12, 2024, 8:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by BostonPlanesAndTrains
Icelandair, Condor, and Aer Lingus uses T2.
Which are all LCC. Not necessarily ULCC, but LCC.
Old Apr 23, 2024, 1:38 pm

Programs: DL PM, WN A-List
MSP airport now lists Lufthansa as T1, G gates
Old Apr 23, 2024, 5:27 pm

Location: SAN Diego (Hillcrest); formerly LEXington, KY; still like the nym
Programs: DL Platinum; Marriott Lifetime Platinum; married to Hilton Elite
MSP is my preferred airport returning from overseas, because you can skip the TSA recheck line by just exiting to the street, and then reenter the terminal through any normal line. Almost any regular TSA entrance is faster than the recheck line.
Lyaec350 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.