Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Delta In-Flight Meal/Food Service: The Definitive Thread — 2024 Edition

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 27, 2024, 3:01 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: matchbox20_is
New menu link here

Current 2024 First Class meal service status -- FC meal service consists of plated meals (including hot options) between hubs and to/from most larger stations (exception stations listed below only receive cold meal box options) on flights over 900 miles which depart before 9PM (scheduled). Pre-selection is available on routes with plated meal offerings (except those operated by an A321neo), while it is not available on cold meal box routes. In addition, flights over 2300 miles will receive meal service in FC for departures after 9PM.

Snack boxes are generally offered on redeye flights under 2300 miles.

Meal service is not provided on flights under 900 miles.

All D1 flights, domestic and international, receive hot meal service.

Current exception stations where only cold meal boxes (with no pre-selection) are offered in FC on 900+ mile flights (both to and from station). Market/Bistro snack boxes are served on flights that are AM return flights to hubs from previous evening arrivals (as the cold meal boxes would require refrigeration overnight ):
ABQ, AUA, ASE, BOI, BTV, BZN, COS, EGE, ELP, EYW, GEG, GUA, HDN, JAC, JAX, LIH, MCI, MTJ, NAS, OAK, OMA, PLS, PSC, PSP, PUJ, PVD, PWM, SAL, SAT, STT, SXM, TUS, VPS, YYC, YYZ, YUL, YVR

Print Wikipost

Delta In-Flight Meal/Food Service: The Definitive Thread — 2024 Edition

Search this Thread

Old Jan 13, 2024, 7:26 pm
dw

Programs: DL Plat, AA Plat Pro, Marriott Titanium, IHG Diamond Amb
Originally Posted by secretalcoholic
Was not particularly impressed with the service on this flight today.
The lack of detail in how the tray was presented to you is definitely noticeable
Old Jan 13, 2024, 11:46 pm

Programs: SkyPesos -> MVP Gold 100K
Originally Posted by dw
The lack of detail in how the tray was presented to you is definitely noticeable

ohhhh yeah they were so over it. Only came out once for drinks and hid for the rest of the flight. DTW-based crew. Of course no PDB either.
Old Jan 14, 2024, 1:31 pm

Programs: TINDER GOLD, STARBUCKS GOLD, COSTCO EXECUTIVE!!
Current selection for HND-LAX:
SIGNATURE SELECTION
A collection of our customer favorites available on your flight
ROASTED CHICKEN THIGH
mushroom cream sauce, sweet potato purée, asparagus, radicchio, red pepper
SPINACH AND RICOTTA LASAGNA
pomodoro sauce, Parmesan
BRAISED JAPANESE BEEF SHORT RIB
radish, carrots, shimeji mushroom, soy sauce, Japanese mustard, Gihey rice, Japanese pickles, miso soup
LIMITED SELECTION
Exclusive entrée options curated for this market and only available when ordered prior to departure
PAN FRIED RED SNAPPER
garlic miso sauce, pumpkin, carrot, broccoli, lotus root, Gihey rice, Furikake
SLOW COOKED DUCK BREAST
chimichurri sauce, walnuts, broccoli, mashed sweet potato

Has anyone had the duck breast? I had the braised beef, that was the Japanese meal selection, and was not impressed.
Old Jan 14, 2024, 9:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by matchbox20_is
Kind of surprised BOS-MSY even exists.
DL permanently added this route a couple years ago and flights are normally quite full. They up-gauged the plane to a 738 from a 221 when they first started daily so they must be doing well. B6 has a direct also so seems that DL decided to compete with them.
Old Jan 15, 2024, 10:41 am
Original Poster

Programs: Delta DM, United Silver, Marriott LT Platinum, Hyatt Discoverist
LAX-ATL 764.

Love these domestic routes where a widebody is sometimes used. Used a RUC to secure a nice flight.

I went with the Jon & Vinny’s meatballs again, they were good like usual, though the ricotta was deleted again. I’ve only seen it appear about half the time I order this.

Shockingly, the salad tasted like it was just picked from the garden an hour before boarding. Very fresh and delicious, I would have been thrilled to have it at a nice restaurant on the ground.

doubleA likes this.
Old Jan 15, 2024, 11:07 am

Programs: Delta SkyMiles (DM), Marriott Bonvoy (Titanium, LTP)
Originally Posted by keitherson
Current selection for HND-LAX:
SIGNATURE SELECTION
A collection of our customer favorites available on your flight
ROASTED CHICKEN THIGH
mushroom cream sauce, sweet potato purée, asparagus, radicchio, red pepper
SPINACH AND RICOTTA LASAGNA
pomodoro sauce, Parmesan
BRAISED JAPANESE BEEF SHORT RIB
radish, carrots, shimeji mushroom, soy sauce, Japanese mustard, Gihey rice, Japanese pickles, miso soup
LIMITED SELECTION
Exclusive entrée options curated for this market and only available when ordered prior to departure
PAN FRIED RED SNAPPER
garlic miso sauce, pumpkin, carrot, broccoli, lotus root, Gihey rice, Furikake
SLOW COOKED DUCK BREAST
chimichurri sauce, walnuts, broccoli, mashed sweet potato

Has anyone had the duck breast? I had the braised beef, that was the Japanese meal selection, and was not impressed.
I believe this is the same duck breast? Pre-order limited selection on PVG - DTW November 2023. It was good - a nice change of pace.

Duck Breast
Old Jan 15, 2024, 1:44 pm

HND-LAX
A330-900neo

Japanese option for both the main meal and the breakfast:

Old Jan 16, 2024, 9:30 am

I have two dishes to add to the "don't order" list (apologies for the poor photos):

Jan08 DL646 DTW-MEX

This was supposed to contain smoked turkey and cheese - it was none of the former and hardly any of the latter. When the trays were collected again, I mentioned this to the FA. She was apologetic, told me to file a note, but I wasn't offered an alternative.
Plus, there was only half a tomato and mushroom each, and not even a handful of potato cubes.
Croissant and orange marmalade were good, so was the fruit salad.

Jan12 DL645 MEX-DTW

Ravioli dish looks pretty, but it was bland. They were soggy and reminded me of those you get in cans.
Salad (blue cheese) and dressing were good, so was the dessert (some kind of sweet cornbread cake).

PDB, drinks, refills, and snack basket on both flights. But no blanket or pillow either flight.

Update: I filed a complaint regarding the omelet and just received 3k SkyPesos. But I would prefer they serve proper food in the first place - in the interest of everyone.

Last edited by omxfl; Jan 17, 2024 at 1:36 pm
Old Jan 17, 2024, 4:38 pm

9:15pm JFK-LAS snack packs only?

Is this a snack/drink/snack only? Or box or hot meal? Thanks and best.
Old Jan 17, 2024, 5:59 pm

Programs: Delta SkyMiles
Meal, no snack basket?

On a flight, DTW-SLC, this flight is very common for me.

After dinner I asked about those yummy biscoff cookies from the holidays. Wow it went south from there.

I was told we don’t do snack baskets on flights with meals.

is this new I asked? It’s always been this way was the response, they went on to tell me that he was part of the team that designed it that. I pointef to the “snacks, drinks, dinner” section of my flight on the app. He then said it must have been another airline. I was thinking of. After being somewhat humiliated and spoken to condescendingly in front of my partner and the entire F cabin.

I tried to disengage the conversation and move on as clearly I wasn’t getting any sandwich cookies.

The flight attendant wanted to keep going.

it was a long flight. I was tired. I didn’t want some sort of engaged discussion, but that’s what I got.

is this real? Was I lucky enough to always have an Incorrectly catered flight with a snack basket and dinner/lunch?

anyone else have anything to add to this from your experience? The delta we site used to lay out meals and miles it’s buried somewhere now but doesn’t say a thing about snack baskets.

sigh.

happy flying!
Old Jan 17, 2024, 6:11 pm

Originally Posted by cmhflyer80

After dinner I asked about those yummy biscoff cookies from the holidays. Wow it went south from there.

is this new I asked? It’s always been this way was the response, they went on to tell me that he was part of the team that designed it that. I pointef to the “snacks, drinks, dinner” section of my flight on the app. He then said it must have been another airline. I was thinking of. After being somewhat humiliated and spoken to condescendingly in front of my partner and the entire F cabin.

I tried to disengage the conversation and move on as clearly I wasn’t getting any sandwich cookies.

it was a long flight. I was tired. I didn’t want some sort of engaged discussion, but that’s what I got.

is this real? Was I lucky enough to always have an Incorrectly catered flight with a snack basket and dinner/lunch?

anyone else have anything to add to this from your experience? The delta we site used to lay out meals and miles it’s buried somewhere now but doesn’t say a thing about snack baskets.

sigh.

happy flying!
Snack basket during meal flights seem to have been deleted last year, perhaps first half? at least in our experience.
Old Jan 17, 2024, 6:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Both of my flights in 2024 had multiple passes of the snack basket, before and after the meal service.

I have no idea what policy is since it's so inconsistent, but it is certainly not gone.
Old Jan 17, 2024, 6:38 pm

Programs: DL DM; AFKL FBE; ITA Exec
Originally Posted by shoodawg
Snack basket during meal flights seem to have been deleted last year, perhaps first half? at least in our experience.
Had 4x meal flights with snacks in the past 2 weeks (JFK-SEA, SLC-JFK, ATL-SMF, SMF-MSP). JFK-SEA must have come through four times, very polished service, as is my experience w/ SEA and SLC based crew (former NW hubs, esp DTW, are often the problem IME).
Old Jan 17, 2024, 6:49 pm

Originally Posted by cmhflyer80

sigh.

happy flying!
I'd suggest filing a complaint (https://www.delta.com/us/en/need-hel...ComplaintsForm). It is ridiculous that they even argue about this. Maybe next time this happens to you, push the button and then ask the FA whether you can get them anything.
dmarge18 likes this.
Old Jan 17, 2024, 7:07 pm

Recently on JFK>LAX there was no snack basket, but then on the return JAX>JFK after they dropped off the warm cookie, they brought around the snack basket.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.