Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Mileage Earnings towards MM Effective 1/1/2024

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 1, 2024, 6:53 am
Original Poster

Programs: Delta DM MM, HH Diamond, Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador Elite, TSA Pre-Check

I am curious to hear reports from people flying starting today and if there will be any minimum number of miles given for flights under 500 miles. I know DL said only BIS miles count towards MM but this will make it hard to achieve MM for people with lots of short hops. i also still find it hard to believe Delta does not want to give any sort of class of service bonus miles for booking FC or D1
Old Jan 1, 2024, 7:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I wouldn't necessarily count on the system working as intended from the get go. The MM tracker still refers to MM balance as "Lifetime MQMs" and status Tracker for 2024 still shows MQM/MQS charts (with new Tracker "Coming Soon" on Jan 5th). The Million Miler webpage also has yet to be updated with any details on how new system will work (and still says MM status is based on lifetime MQMs).

Last edited by xliioper; Jan 1, 2024 at 1:51 pm
Old Jan 1, 2024, 1:12 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta DM MM, HH Diamond, Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador Elite, TSA Pre-Check
Originally Posted by xliioper
I wouldn't necessarily count on the system working as intended from the get go. The MM tracker still refers to MM balance as "Lifetime MQMs" and status Tracker for 2024 still shows MQM/MQS charts (with new Tracker "Coming Soon" on Jan 5th). The Million Miler webpage also has yet to be updated with any details on how new system will work (as still says MM status is based on lifetime MQMs).
Like some have said you would have assumed this would have been ready to go and just click the switch to the new verbiage/way of earning.
Seabilly and DLASflyer like this.
Old Jan 1, 2024, 9:28 pm

Programs: Skyteam
Hopefully they keep the min 500 miles for short flights. If not, people stuck doing short hops would be vastly disappointed.
Old Jan 2, 2024, 1:44 am

Programs: DL Plat, 1 MM; SPG LT Plat (RIP); Marriott LT Titanium; Fairmont Plat (RIP), DL Kryptonium Medallion
I had two flights on Jan 1, one over 500 miles and one under 500 miles.
The short flight apparently earned just actual distance, not a 500 mile minimum.

As an aside, I estimated the actual length of the short leg, using the distance of the long leg and MQD as allocated across the two segments. (Recall that when DL takes the MQD of a multi-segment journey and allocates them to individual segments, the actual distance without a 500 mile minimum is used for this purpose). My estimate of the short leg distance, and the actual incrementing of my MM counter were within 4 miles of each other (a difference that itself might arise from MQD being rounded to integers, or something like that).

I have my first partner flight of the year the week after next. It is not a codeshare. It will be interesting to see if it counts for MM or not.
DrMilano and happydad100 like this.
Old Jan 2, 2024, 5:31 am

Programs: DL; AA; UA; CO; LHLX; NZ; QR; EK; BA
Both UA and AA use true actual miles (as opposed to a 500 mile minimum) in their MM calculation as well, so I wouldn’t expect DL to differ with the new approach.
lsquare likes this.
Old Jan 2, 2024, 5:55 am

Programs: Delta Skymiles - Platinum; Hertz - President's Circle; Expedia - Gold
Originally Posted by Spent_All_My_Miles
As an aside, I estimated the actual length of the short leg, using the distance of the long leg and MQD as allocated across the two segments. (Recall that when DL takes the MQD of a multi-segment journey and allocates them to individual segments, the actual distance without a 500 mile minimum is used for this purpose). My estimate of the short leg distance, and the actual incrementing of my MM counter were within 4 miles of each other (a difference that itself might arise from MQD being rounded to integers, or something like that).
milecalc.com is a convenient tool to see the exact mileage on any route
DCAhome likes this.
Old Jan 2, 2024, 8:58 am

Programs: DL DM/2MM, UA Gold/1MM, AS MVP 100K, BA Gold, TK Elite
Originally Posted by skchin
Hopefully they keep the min 500 miles for short flights. If not, people stuck doing short hops would be vastly disappointed.
Just for a point of reference, AA only counts actual mileage not 500 min.
Old Jan 2, 2024, 9:34 am

Programs: Skyteam
Originally Posted by Spent_All_My_Miles
I had two flights on Jan 1, one over 500 miles and one under 500 miles.
The short flight apparently earned just actual distance, not a 500 mile minimum.

I have my first partner flight of the year the week after next. It is not a codeshare. It will be interesting to see if it counts for MM or not.
Thanks for the response.
Old Jan 2, 2024, 3:47 pm

Programs: Delta 2M DM, Southwest A List and CP
Another point of uncertainty is whether award flights count for MM status in the new system. Does anyone have experience with this yet?
Old Jan 2, 2024, 4:17 pm
t1c

Programs: AMEX, Ritz LT-Plat Prem, Hyatt Plat, SPG Plat, Hilton Diamond, Delta Plat, United Gold, Sixt Plat
Originally Posted by PHXflier
Another point of uncertainty is whether award flights count for MM status in the new system. Does anyone have experience with this yet?
Yes they do if they are booked thru delta.com.
DrMilano and lsquare like this.
Old Jan 2, 2024, 6:35 pm

Programs: Delta DM, 2MM
Super frustrating that Delta does not release definitive answers to how million mile calculations are working. Are all partner flights calculated the same? Partner flights not booked on delta.com? Mileage tickets? Mileage tickets on partners? Class of service? Everything that I can find (other than hearsay of a phone rep) is very brief without much detail. I am assuming it is only BIS miles for all the above, but I don't want to book some international travel only to later get a nasty surprise from Delta that the flight is not counted.
It's a shame that we actually have to wait for fellow fliers to post their experience, in order to get answers.
Old Jan 2, 2024, 6:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Boony1970
Super frustrating that Delta does not release definitive answers to how million mile calculations are working. Are all partner flights calculated the same? Partner flights not booked on delta.com? Mileage tickets? Mileage tickets on partners? Class of service? Everything that I can find (other than hearsay of a phone rep) is very brief without much detail. I am assuming it is only BIS miles for all the above, but I don't want to book some international travel only to later get a nasty surprise from Delta that the flight is not counted.
It's a shame that we actually have to wait for fellow fliers to post their experience, in order to get answers.
Skymiles awards on partner metal count towards MQD earn this year along with Skymiles awards on DL metal. It seems likely that both these cases will count towards MM balance. Would not expect awards booked with partner miles on DL metal to count (as these still do not qualify for MQD earn).
DrMilano likes this.
Old Jan 3, 2024, 10:18 am

Programs: DL 4MM; DM
1/2- LAX-LAS. The recent activity in the app shows nothing listed for MQMS (yet). MQDs and base and bonus miles posted. I did the math using the change in the MM tracker. Which came in at 236 miles.

ETA: Fare was paid FC.
josephstern and happydad100 like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.