Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Advice on Leaving Skymiles

Search this Thread

Old Dec 30, 2023, 6:00 pm
Original Poster

Advice on Leaving Skymiles

Looking for ideas on transitioning from Delta to American. My home airport is portland, me. I think I am going to move to american. My story I have been Diamond since 2001 and am a million miler. I booked an unaccompanied minor trip for my 10 year old daughter to visit her friends in atlanta. Booked it non stop departure was flawless but they would not let her check in at the airport because the flight arrived to late. I called and they said they could not override the airport and all they could do was book her on a flight the following day that connected through LGA. The point was to have her on a non stop. I understand that there are rules but I booked the flight with no issue and they wont let her check in on the return flight home^ Given this expereience and the other skymiles changes I it is time for me to go. I also heavily use a delta reserve amex. Any thoughts on the best programs and cards to switch to would be appreciated and if other airlines will acknowledge your previous loyalty and value you as a customer at sign on.
Old Dec 30, 2023, 6:23 pm

Programs: Delta Skymiles - Platinum; Hertz - President's Circle; Expedia - Gold
Emotional change of loyalty program is a bad business decision.
Any big company doesn’t care about emotional actions of an individual, unless it becomes a pattern for many.
And any other big company on average makes the same amount of mistakes in individual customer cases.
Only if the value of staying in the Skymiles is low for your personal case it makes sense to switch.
emma dog, dw, Mr. Tickets and 10 others like this.
Old Dec 30, 2023, 6:27 pm

Programs: DL, UA, AA
Originally Posted by Firstboss
Emotional change of loyalty program is a bad business decision.
Any big company doesn’t care about emotional actions of an individual, unless it becomes a pattern for many.
And any other big company on average makes the same amount of mistakes in individual customer cases.
Only if the value of staying in the Skymiles is low for your personal case it makes sense to switch.
Most of the people in frequent flyer programs are making emotional decisions disguised as "business decisions". it's a feature, not a bug.
m.y, notquiteaff, hhdl and 2 others like this.
Old Dec 30, 2023, 9:18 pm
dw

Programs: DL Plat, AA Plat Pro, Marriott Titanium, IHG Diamond Amb
I’m not really understanding the circumstances here, though. What does, they wouldn’t let her check in for her return flight because the “flight arrived too late” mean?
Old Dec 30, 2023, 11:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM, NR; HH Diamond, Bonvoy LT Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Diamond, others
Originally Posted by rodxmas
Looking for ideas on transitioning from Delta to American. My home airport is portland, me. I think I am going to move to american. My story I have been Diamond since 2001 and am a million miler.
Nice trick, having Diamond a decade before Delta did.
For that matter, 125K miles/year since 2001 would have you well over 2MM.
Old Dec 31, 2023, 6:31 am

Programs: DL DM
Originally Posted by dw
I’m not really understanding the circumstances here, though. What does, they wouldn’t let her check in for her return flight because the “flight arrived too late” mean?
We’ll need to wait for the OP to come back and explain. Given the option provided for having to come back the following day, my interpretation is that “they arrived too late at the airport and thus missed the flight.” It could have been too late to meet the check-in window timing requirements or totally missing the flight.
dw likes this.
Old Dec 31, 2023, 6:57 am

Programs: AA,SPG, Delta, Amtrak, JB
Originally Posted by Goodoldflyer
Most of the people in frequent flyer programs are making emotional decisions disguised as "business decisions". it's a feature, not a bug.
. Very well said
BigFishDave, jaimemayo and moondog like this.
Old Dec 31, 2023, 12:32 pm

Programs: DL Plat, Hilton Diamond
Given the recent lawsuit over American's handling of two unaccompanied minors, one might want to be cautious in jumping to AA because of the experience cited by the OP:

American Airlines Sued For 'Losing' Two Children
hhdl likes this.
Old Dec 31, 2023, 2:50 pm

Programs: OZ Diamond *A Gold / Delta Gold
Originally Posted by cre95
We’ll need to wait for the OP to come back and explain. Given the option provided for having to come back the following day, my interpretation is that “they arrived too late at the airport and thus missed the flight.” It could have been too late to meet the check-in window timing requirements or totally missing the flight.
My interpretation would be more: Delta somehow arbitrarily decided, unless it is a rule somewhere in their policy, to not let an unaccompanied minor board a flight because it would land at a time deemed too late for a minor to be in an airport, unaccompanied.
Old Dec 31, 2023, 3:14 pm

Programs: DL DM
Delta's Unaccompanied minor program is pretty well documented. There is a lot of responsibility and liability for accepting an Unaccompanied minor.
https://www.delta.com/us/en/children...-minor-program
Old Dec 31, 2023, 4:19 pm

Programs: I've gone underground!
Originally Posted by Gasolin
My interpretation would be more: Delta somehow arbitrarily decided, unless it is a rule somewhere in their policy, to not let an unaccompanied minor board a flight because it would land at a time deemed too late for a minor to be in an airport, unaccompanied.
Theres a rule saying unaccompanied minors (in the program) can’t fly on flights after 9p. IDK if that’s the situation here since OP hasn’t come back after his rant.
moondog, Gasolin and dw like this.
Old Dec 31, 2023, 4:24 pm

Programs: AA,DL,F9,UA,WN
AA just changed a future flight of mine from the 9:00am departure I purchased to a new 6:58am departure.
That's a huge change in my eyes but the only options they offered were to move to the new flight or a later flight.
I wanted either a full refund on my non-refundable ticket or to give me a Travel/Trip credit.
No, they said. Flight changes require a difference of 4 hours to get such an option.
On Delta it's only 2 hours.
Point is, any airline you choose is going to have plusses and minuses.
AJNEDC and hhdl like this.

Last edited by SUPERTRAVEL; Jan 1, 2024 at 8:56 pm
Old Dec 31, 2023, 4:26 pm

Originally Posted by SUPERTRAVEL
AA just changed a future flight of mine from the 9:00am departure I purchased to a new 6:58m departure.
That's a huge change in my eyes but the only options they offered were to move to the new flight or a later flight.
I wanted either a full refund on my non-refundable ticket or to give me a Travel/Trip credit.
No, they said. Flight changes require a difference of 4 hours to get such an option.
I cannot begin to count how many waivers and favors DL has given me over the past 30 years. Even with one minute schedule changes. The grass isn’t always greener.

And there are no more change fees for NA flights so by definition you can get a flight credit even without the schedule change probably even if you bought a BE ticket.
AJNEDC likes this.

Last edited by sydneyracquelle; Jan 1, 2024 at 5:22 am
Old Dec 31, 2023, 4:51 pm

Originally Posted by sydneyracquelle
I cannot begin to count how many waivers and favors DL has given me over the past 30 years. Even with one minute schedule changes. The grass isn’t always greener.

And there are no more change fees for NA flights so by definition you can get a flight credit even without the schedule change.

the grass looks greener

That is because it’s different manure.
dw, lindros2, EVA777 and 4 others like this.
Old Dec 31, 2023, 5:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Back in Reds Country (DAY/CVG). Previously: SEA & SAT.
Programs: DL PM 1MM, AA PLAT, UA Silver, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by SUPERTRAVEL
AA just changed a future flight of mine from the 9:00am departure I purchased to a new 6:58m departure.
Originally Posted by sydneyracquelle

And there are no more change fees for NA flights so by definition you can get a flight credit even without the schedule change.
Unless one books a Basic Economy ticket.

SUPERTRAVEL if you didn't book a Basic Economy ticket, you can cancel your flight and get an eCredit for the full value. If you did book Basic Economy, you can always try "HUCA" and see if another agent will give you a different resolution.
IggySD likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.