Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Most Difficult DL Non-Hub Stations to Navigate

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Most Difficult DL Non-Hub Stations to Navigate

Search this Thread

Old Dec 12, 2023, 9:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
Originally Posted by ND76
T5 is the first stop on the people mover (it took a long time to get this working, but it was in fact working earlier this year when I was at ORD).
The robo-train still fails in adverse / very cold weather, requiring diesel shuttle buses to come online as replacements, which makes getting to the other terminals or CTA rail terminus a nightmare and a half. It broke last Christmas when we had polar vortex temps and gridlocked terminal access roads, so that was nice.
M60_to_LGA likes this.
Old Dec 12, 2023, 11:21 am

Programs: DL DM; HH gold
While I travel a lot, the number of airports I frequent is relatively limited, but for me CDG is far and away #1. After you do it a few times, it's no longer difficult, but it still is a massive PITA.

The worst scenario I regularly face there is when arriving on HOP (usually with some delay) at terminal G, wait for the bus, trundle like a sardine in a can for 10-15 minutes, get off at some non-descript door under terminal 2F (half the bus looking confused bc they're expecting 2E), walk, escalator, MASSIVE line waiting for another escalator, that leads to massive and slow lines for passport check, escalator back down, wait in line for another bus, trundle back in the sardine can 10 minutes into the direction you originally came from, another non-descript door, escalator and FINALLY... finding out your 2 hour connection was just not quite long enough (and forget about going to the lounge). This year I'm 1/6 in making the G>2E connection with 90-150 min connections, and that is with knowing how to navigate that torture device they call an airport. AMS isn't perfect but I'll take it over CDG any day of the week.
Old Dec 12, 2023, 11:30 am

Programs: AA LT Plat (4m+), AF Plat, A3 Gold, Hyatt Lifetime Globalist, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat/Ambassador
Originally Posted by woodenshoe101
While I travel a lot, the number of airports I frequent is relatively limited, but for me CDG is far and away #1. After you do it a few times, it's no longer difficult, but it still is a massive PITA.

The worst scenario I regularly face there is when arriving on HOP (usually with some delay) at terminal G, wait for the bus, trundle like a sardine in a can for 10-15 minutes, get off at some non-descript door under terminal 2F (half the bus looking confused bc they're expecting 2E), walk, escalator, MASSIVE line waiting for another escalator, that leads to massive and slow lines for passport check, escalator back down, wait in line for another bus, trundle back in the sardine can 10 minutes into the direction you originally came from, another non-descript door, escalator and FINALLY... finding out your 2 hour connection was just not quite long enough (and forget about going to the lounge). This year I'm 1/6 in making the G>2E connection with 90-150 min connections, and that is with knowing how to navigate that torture device they call an airport. AMS isn't perfect but I'll take it over CDG any day of the week.
I feel for you…having to connect in CDG is a pain and fortunately something I don’t have to do.
Connecting to 2G is the absolute worst of the worst.

Aéroports de Paris is laughing stock. The lines are horrendous even with an EU passport.

I’m used to it though I shudder at the idea of having to leave from 2G… even without a connection!
Synapseturquoise likes this.
Old Dec 12, 2023, 12:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Back in Reds Country (DAY/CVG). Previously: SEA & SAT.
Programs: DL PM 1MM, AA PLAT, UA Silver, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium
I found landside at DCA very confusing and difficult to navigate, especially trying to find the Rental Cars my first time arriving there. Airside is no issue and much improved after the revamp to connect all terminals airside. It took a few visits to DCA before I felt like I knew where I was going and where stuff was.
Old Dec 12, 2023, 4:53 pm

Programs: DL PM; UA 1K; AA 1MM
Originally Posted by woodenshoe101

I have always instinctively avoided any connection through CDG that might involve Hop and 2G because it just seemed like it would be a hassle. Thank you for validating my decision!
Old Dec 12, 2023, 7:10 pm
zmb

Programs: DL Gold Medallion, Avis President's Club
Originally Posted by bostontraveler
MAD for the eternal walks, escalators and trains...
I should have kept count of how many security checkpoints and duty-free shops I walked past going from the AF/KL check-in to lounge and gate. Feels like the never-ending terminal with all the turns.
​​​
Old Dec 16, 2023, 9:44 am

Programs: DM/3MM
Originally Posted by SuperG1955
Add MAD to the list. Lots of fun connecting from DL to IB.
You don’t like walking/transiting an entire airport after a shortish overnight flight? I did it every year for about 20 years and don’t miss that experience.
Old Dec 16, 2023, 10:12 am

Programs: AA LT Plat (4m+), AF Plat, A3 Gold, Hyatt Lifetime Globalist, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat/Ambassador
Originally Posted by TrojanTraveler
You don’t like walking/transiting an entire airport after a shortish overnight flight? I did it every year for about 20 years and don’t miss that experience.
Add to the fact that most US flights are placed at the last gate at the very end of the fingers... just to be extra annoying...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.