Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Need mileage run of 5000 miles out of PHX

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 12, 2023, 9:39 am
Original Poster

Programs: Delta, UA, SW, Frontier,American

Departure Airport: PHX
Miles Needed to Plat: 5000
Airline: Delta
Old Nov 12, 2023, 10:19 am

Programs: DL Charter DM/DM/2.3MM, IHG Diamond Elite, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by night002
Departure Airport: PHX
Miles Needed to Plat: 5000
Airline: Delta
I can think of these which could work:
PHX->JFK->PHX
PHX->BOS->PHX
PHX->LAX->HAWAII->LAX->PHX
Old Nov 12, 2023, 11:14 am

Programs: Ikon Pass Full + AS Gold + Marriott Titanium + Hilton Gold. Recovering UA Plat. LT lounge AA+DL+UA
Is Plat worth doing that to your body?
fs2k2isfun and DrMilano like this.
Old Nov 12, 2023, 11:26 am

Programs: Delta 2M DM, Southwest A List and CP
Originally Posted by audidudi
I can think of these which could work:
PHX->JFK->PHX
PHX->BOS->PHX
PHX->LAX->HAWAII->LAX->PHX
PHX-JFK is 2,150 mi one way, and PHX-BOS is 2,300 mi one way, so both of them will not work for the non-stops (or even most one-stops) unless you buy first class. However, PHX-SEA-ANC R/T would get you 5,000 miles in main/C+.
Old Nov 12, 2023, 12:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Back in Reds Country (DAY/CVG). Previously: SEA & SAT.
Programs: DL PM 1MM, AA PLAT, UA Silver, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by PHXflier
PHX-JFK is 2,150 mi one way, and PHX-BOS is 2,300 mi one way, so both of them will not work for the non-stops (or even most one-stops) unless you buy first class. However, PHX-SEA-ANC R/T would get you 5,000 miles in main/C+.
With 500 MQM minimums, there are options to both JFK and especially BOS that would work from PHX for achieving 2,500 MQMs each way in Main. OP could even do PHX-JFK-BOS each way and get the 5K MQMs needed.
Old Nov 12, 2023, 12:19 pm

Programs: Delta, United
Welcome to FT. In this day and age there is no reason to spend money to gain Platinum over Gold. The benefits are just not there as there is a bloat of medallions that will get UG beforehand. The other benefits are on pair with gold.
DrMilano and busdriver11 like this.
Old Nov 12, 2023, 12:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by FlyingUnderTheRadar
Welcome to FT. In this day and age there is no reason to spend money to gain Platinum over Gold. The benefits are just not there as there is a bloat of medallions that will get UG beforehand. The other benefits are on pair with gold.
Disagree. PM status comes with C+ at booking (technically an "upgrade" but generally as long as there are open C+ seats, one can "upgrade" to C+). GM does not come with this benefit (can only get C+ at 72 hours, which often means just middle seats being left, if any at all). PM also comes with RUCs as a choice benefit which are now much easier to use. I'm not saying I'd spent a couple thousand dollars chasing PM. But one transcon mileage run? Might well be worth it for many.
Old Nov 12, 2023, 12:32 pm

Programs: AA ExPl, DL PM, UA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium, probably some others
Originally Posted by ATOBTTR
Disagree. PM status comes with C+ at booking (technically an "upgrade" but generally as long as there are open C+ seats, one can "upgrade" to C+). GM does not come with this benefit (can only get C+ at 72 hours, which often means just middle seats being left, if any at all). PM also comes with RUCs as a choice benefit which are now much easier to use. I'm not saying I'd spent a couple thousand dollars chasing PM. But one transcon mileage run? Might well be worth it for many.
OP can use the money they save from not doing the mileage run to pay for C+ seats in advance if they would like.
Old Nov 12, 2023, 12:35 pm

Programs: DL PM; IHG DIaAmb; Hilton Dia; Marriott Plat/LT Gold
It's that time of year again, it seems. Requests for help planning DL Mileage Runs belong in DL/Sky Team: 2023 Consolidated Mileage/Status/Challenge Runs help needed
DrMilano and mbluecpa like this.
Old Nov 12, 2023, 12:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by steveholt
OP can use the money they save from not doing the mileage run to pay for C+ seats in advance if they would like.
I've seen C+ price out at $100-$200 more EACH WAY over Main Cabin just for domestic flights. At these premiums, it doesn't take more than a couple round trips (or maybe even one round-trip) before you're spending more on C+ seats than you would have on one mileage run to get up to PM status. Add in the value of RUCs and being able to clear up to F - that's easily another several hundred in value there too.
indufan, beachmouse and mbluecpa like this.
Old Nov 12, 2023, 6:01 pm

Programs: Delta, United
In my experience, C+ is nothing special. I think the last time I could clear directly into C+ all that was left were middle seats. I would rather have an exit row, which is what I took. RUC are a roll of the dice. Easier to use to use does not mean better success. Chasing status was worth while at one time but no longer.
moondog likes this.
Old Nov 12, 2023, 6:32 pm

Programs: Delta DM HH Diamond
PHX-PBI-NYC-PHX should do it
Old Nov 12, 2023, 10:02 pm

Programs: AA ExPl, DL PM, UA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium, probably some others
I've seen C+ price out at $100-$200 more EACH WAY over Main Cabin just for domestic flights. At these premiums, it doesn't take more than a couple round trips (or maybe even one round-trip) before you're spending more on C+ seats than you would have on one mileage run to get up to PM status. Add in the value of RUCs and being able to clear up to F - that's easily another several hundred in value there too.
Sometimes, maybe, but not often in my experience. (I also don't agree that RUCs are anywhere near as easy to use in reality as you're suggesting, although that would be great if they were and I was mistaken.) OP can also pick and choose when they want to spend on C+ versus when they think they'll land a free upgrade in the window closer to take off. OP can also save more money over the next year by pushing more of their spend to another airline by not being so attached to DL to justify their status.
moondog likes this.
Old Nov 12, 2023, 10:53 pm

Programs: AA Plat Pro
Originally Posted by worldwidedreamer
Is Plat worth doing that to your body?
With a handle/name like yours, why are you even asking this question? Flyer obsessives do lots of unnecessary things! LOL
Old Nov 13, 2023, 12:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Rhinolicious
PHX-PBI-NYC-PHX should do it
Except DL doesn't fly PHX-PBI PHX-MCO/RSW Main fares are $20 cheaper roundtrip than PBI ($327 vs $347). Google Flights in map view is useful for finding cheaper fares. MSP, DTW, LAX, and JFK routings to MCO/RSW are all over 2500 miles each way. While JFK routings are more miles, it will likely be more challenging to find married segment inventory in lower fare classes with JFK routings and MSP and DTW routings will likely be cheaper in most cases. You can either do an immediate turn with a red-eye from PHX or something like following with overnight stay in MCO.

Last edited by xliioper; Nov 13, 2023 at 9:17 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.