Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

I am surprised that there are so many MM, 2MM, 3MM, etc

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 23, 2023, 8:38 am
Original Poster

Programs: Delta Platinum, American Gold, JetBlue Mosaic 4, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond,

I fly a good amount - I am in my upper 30s, sitting on about 500K lifetime Delta MQM and about 100K American lifetime miles. I guess I will hit 1 MM in a few years based on current travel patterns.

Who are all these people with 2 MM, 3 MM miles? It does seem odd that no matter what status level I achieve, I will always be behind an apparently high level of million milers on Delta...
Old Oct 23, 2023, 8:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by Adelphos
I fly a good amount - I am in my upper 30s, sitting on about 500K lifetime Delta MQM and about 100K American lifetime miles. I guess I will hit 1 MM in a few years based on current travel patterns.

Who are all these people with 2 MM, 3 MM miles? It does seem odd that no matter what status level I achieve, I will always be behind an apparently high level of million milers on Delta...
DL has included all MQM earned till now. This includes those earned from DL AMEX Reserve card. You can have a personal and business version, doubling the MQM . All of this earned even without flying single flight.
Old Oct 23, 2023, 8:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM & 2MM™, Lifetime HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by flyerCO
DL has included all MQM earned till now. This includes those earned from DL AMEX Reserve card. You can have a personal and business version, doubling the MQM . All of this earned even without flying single flight.
That isn't completely true. There was BIS period before MQMs.
Old Oct 23, 2023, 9:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM & 2MM™, Lifetime HHonors Diamond
Who are all these people with 2 MM, 3 MM miles?
Speaking for me, I am just a guy who started flying 100,000+ miles a year in 1998. I think my peak was about 175,000. The company I used to work for (~300 employees before being bought out by Fortune 500 company) had at least 50 million milers. I have six segments this year, to-date.
Adelphos and Synapseturquoise like this.
Old Oct 23, 2023, 9:16 am

Programs: DL DM & MM, Hilton Diamond, IC Plt Amb , Marriott LTP, Hertz President's Circle
I started back in the mid 1990s as a NW WP FF and then to DL when the merge happened. It was nice that my NW LT miles transferred with me, but it was all BIS earnings back then. I now sit at 1.75MM and hopefully will hit 2MM a little bit longer than I anticipated with the changes. Nice they recognize the loyalty that many of us have given over the years, mine are 99.5% NW/DL/KL/AF and I have been happy (most of the time) with them, so the new DL MM perks are definitely a welcome addition.
DrMilano likes this.
Old Oct 23, 2023, 9:19 am

Programs: DL DM/2MM

Maybe I'm misunderstanding you, but I don't think this is true. MillionMiler status will now be the 3rd priority tiebreaker, i.e. after (1) current medallion status, and (2) fare class purchased.
The enhancement is that it puts MM status ahead of Delta Reserve status. It's not going to have a huge impact.
Old Oct 23, 2023, 9:19 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, AA PPro, Hyatt Globalist, Amex Plat
<snip>It does seem odd that no matter what status level I achieve, I will always be behind an apparently high level of million milers on Delta...
Why does this matter? Is it a contest?

Regards
DrMilano likes this.
Old Oct 23, 2023, 9:22 am
Original Poster

Programs: Delta Platinum, American Gold, JetBlue Mosaic 4, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond,
Originally Posted by 18sas
Maybe I'm misunderstanding you, but I don't think this is true. MillionMiler status will now be the 3rd priority tiebreaker, i.e. after (1) current medallion status, and (2) fare class purchased.
The enhancement is that it puts MM status ahead of Delta Reserve status. It's not going to have a huge impact.
Originally Posted by scubadu
Why does this matter? Is it a contest?

Regards
Maybe I am wrong - but my understanding is that MM status went to the top of the upgrade list?

For example, someone who earns 2MM will have permanent Platinum Status... which, due to tiebreakers, effectively ranks them above all Non 2MM Platinum members on the upgrade list?

EDIT - the change here is that a non MM Platinum had upgrade priority over 2MM and 3MM, presuming they were just Gold and didn't earn Platinum. Now - a non MM Platinum is behind all 2MM and 3MM regardless of how much those 2MM and 3MM have flown in recent years. That may be a meaningful devaluation of "non MM Platinum" status.
emma dog and Goodoldflyer like this.

Last edited by Adelphos; Oct 23, 2023 at 9:31 am
Old Oct 23, 2023, 9:22 am

Programs: Delta 2M DM, Southwest A List and CP
It all has to do with how long you have been at it... After 35 years of PanAm/NWA/Delta flying it adds up. So, just wait, and you will be up there as well in a couple of decades.
pbjag, halls120, Hepsaint and 3 others like this.
Old Oct 23, 2023, 9:23 am

I have been flying since the 90s and have been doing about 150k miles per year for the past 15 years. Sitting on 2.3MM now. All of my miles are BIS, most of them on economy (there is no credit card in Germany and for the few years there was one, it was very unattractive). About 80% of my miles are paid privately (the fun of intercontinental relationships).
NOLAnwGOLD, EqualOpp and 22H like this.
Old Oct 23, 2023, 9:31 am

Programs: DL DM, 2 MM; OW Emerald; MVP Gold 100k;Marriott/SPG LTPlat; HH Diamond
I've been at it almost as long as you've been alive! Will hit 2MM by year end, retiring next year.
rcsgeorgia likes this.
Old Oct 23, 2023, 9:33 am

Maybe I am wrong - but my understanding is that MM status went to the top of the upgrade list?

For example, someone who earns 2MM will have permanent Platinum Status... which, due to tiebreakers, effectively ranks them above all Non 2MM Platinum members on the upgrade list?
No, that's not correct. MM status is the third sort priority, after medallion status and fare class.

If you're a DM/0MM, you outrank a PM/2MM or a GM/1MM.

The chart is here -> https://www.delta.com/us/en/skymiles...llion-upgrades
Old Oct 23, 2023, 9:35 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by 18sas
No, that's not correct. MM status is the third sort priority, after medallion status and fare class.

If you're a DM/0MM, you outrank a PM/2MM or a GM/1MM.

The chart is here -> https://www.delta.com/us/en/skymiles...llion-upgrades
The point is - the recent MM changes created additional, permanent DM/PM/GM who will always outrank 0MM at the same Medallian level. That is the big change. I'm not even focusing on the change in Delta Reserve ranking.
Old Oct 23, 2023, 9:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by indufan
That isn't completely true. There was BIS period before MQMs.
Right. Before MQM there was no such thing as MQM, so statement is true. Till now any MQM earned counted towards MM. OP asked why DL has so many MM, not for a history of what the earnings process was since Wilbur and Orville 1st flew.
Old Oct 23, 2023, 9:51 am

The point is - the recent MM changes created additional, permanent DM/PM/GM who will always outrank 0MM at the same Medallian level. That is the big change. I'm not even focusing on the change in Delta Reserve ranking.
I'm sorry but if that was your point, it wasn't at all clear from your first posts.

Permanent or annually recurring status isn't a new feature of the MM program.

Also the 2nd tiebreaker after medallion status is fare class, not MM status.
Adelphos likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.