Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Here is why they will get away with it in the short term

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Here is why they will get away with it in the short term

Search this Thread

Old Oct 12, 2023 | 4:16 pm
10 Countries Visited20 Countries Visited30 Countries Visited10 Years on Site

Programs: Amtrak Guest Rewards (SE), Virgin America Elevate, Hyatt Gold Passport (Platinum), VIA Preference
Originally Posted by sydneyracquelle
Generous signup bonuses can be clawed back if you dont keep the card for a full year. Plus the companion cert comes just before the one year anniversary and you can keep it without renewing. Shrewd cardholders keep the card in a sock drawer until renewal time. Acting with emotion can be expensive.
I think that it might be possible to contest a clawback under the present circumstances given the degree to which the card's benefits are changing (e.g. the DL Plat losing paid lounge access and both losing Basic Economy lounge access as of early next year), especially if you got the card close to the massive wave of changes - say, on that last promotion before the devaluation. This has come up elsewhere, but I'd argue that in that narrow set of circumstances, where Amex was pretty obviously not clueless as to the impending changes but kept hawking cards regardless, bait and switch probably applies. This is likely a very narrow subset of people, FWIW (probably a few thousand at most).

That being said, I have to wonder - if someone already spent the DL miles, flew the flights, and had no plans to fly DL again, would it be possible for them to just leave the account balance negative and walk away?
Old Oct 12, 2023 | 6:04 pm
10 Years on Site

Programs: Delta Skymiles - Platinum; Hertz - President's Circle; Expedia - Gold
Originally Posted by hhdl
Basic Economy loses lounge access on January 1, 2024. Probably not relevant to most.

​​​​​​
That's relevant for AmEx Platinum holders who didn't have to earn status on delta and worry about Main Cabin tickets

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.