Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

JFK -> KOA . Should I go via HNL, SEA, or LAX?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 24, 2023, 1:57 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta DM, Marriot TE

If I go via HNL, it's better equipment for most of the majority of the flight with PS and D1 as options. (also odd quirk, Delta.com won't let me book PS, but, I see 99% of the seats available on the map...huh?)

Via SEA it's an A321neo on both legs. 3 hour layover, but, SEA Delta lounge is nice.

LAX will have the shortest duration overall, but, I hear the LAX -> KOA equipment is ancient.
Old Sep 24, 2023, 2:01 pm

Programs: DL PM, DL MM
Originally Posted by p0rkbelly
If I go via HNL, it's better equipment for most of the majority of the flight with PS and D1 as options. (also odd quirk, Delta.com won't let me book PS, but, I see 99% of the seats available on the map...huh?)

Via SEA it's an A321neo on both legs. 3 hour layover, but, SEA Delta lounge is nice.

LAX will have the shortest duration overall, but, I hear the LAX -> KOA equipment is ancient.
I would not choose a route for a lounge you may or may not be able to get into
SFO777 likes this.
Old Sep 24, 2023, 2:06 pm

Programs: DL,US
LAX-KOA aircraft (the 75H) are being upgraded. Even chance you get a nicer onboard experience. As it is, it’s basically the Song interior from the 75x days. Additionally, they are starting to bring in A321Neo planes on LAX-Neighbor Islands as well.

If it’s a ways out I would book LAX and just change it later if you need to. Operationally, LAX is the most together of all the connection points you describe. The interline connection at HNL is fine until your JFK departure is delayed, then it’s a big headache.

I’m sitting in SEA right now and the place is bursting at the seams, lots of cancelled long-hauls, 1 hour TSA Pre wait and lots of departures held because people arrived at the airport 3 hours early and still couldn’t get on the plane.
Old Sep 24, 2023, 2:13 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by PupManS
LAX-KOA aircraft (the 75H) are being upgraded. Even chance you get a nicer onboard experience. As it is, it’s basically the Song interior from the 75x days. Additionally, they are starting to bring in A321Neo planes on LAX-Neighbor Islands as well.
Probably not in 2 months when I'm thinking of going though...
Old Sep 24, 2023, 2:14 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by FlyAO2
I would not choose a route for a lounge you may or may not be able to get into
Fair enough, that's not my primary reason. The new LAX lounge is even nicer. Focused on the best experience in the air.
Old Sep 24, 2023, 2:19 pm

Programs: DL PM; UA 1K; AA 1MM
What cabin do you plan on flying? If D1, then probably take the D1 flight JFK-HNL connecting to the short hop HNL-KOA.
Old Sep 24, 2023, 2:30 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ty97
What cabin do you plan on flying? If D1, then probably take the D1 flight JFK-HNL connecting to the short hop HNL-KOA.
I don't see myself buying D1, but, if they offer me a decent upgrade for $...it's for a big birthday (my 40th) so considering dropping a lot of points. Would rather have a nicer hotel though or stay longer.

Normal first class via SEA is $3K less than D1 vai HNL, which seems like a decent deal (about $2400)

Trying to figure out the price for PS via HNL, but, not showing up delta.com...
Old Sep 24, 2023, 4:41 pm

Programs: Delta DM/2MM, Flying Blue Gold, Hertz Platinum
I flew LAX-KOA in June on a 321 Neo. It was nice except for the broken J seat which forced an involuntary downgrade for a member of my traveling party. Good times!
Old Sep 24, 2023, 4:57 pm

Programs: Delta DM, United Silver, Marriott LT Platinum, Hyatt Discoverist
I don't see myself buying D1, but, if they offer me a decent upgrade for $...it's for a big birthday (my 40th) so considering dropping a lot of points. Would rather have a nicer hotel though or stay longer.

Normal first class via SEA is $3K less than D1 vai HNL, which seems like a decent deal (about $2400)

You can get that PS seat by booking C+.
Old Sep 24, 2023, 5:42 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by matchbox20_is
Thanks. I'm PM, so, I usually book economy for the instant upgrade to C+. Would that upgrade me to PS?
Old Sep 24, 2023, 5:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Back in Reds Country (DAY/CVG). Previously: SEA & SAT.
Programs: DL PM 1MM, AA PLAT, UA Silver, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium
OP, you can consider buying FC on a route via SEA and hope for a schedule change and then switch to JFK-HNL-KOA.

That said, if it’s a consideration I would recommend booking JFK-HNL-KOA from the get go. That’s going to be the best equipment of the options listed. Additionally, I would argue this option offers the best protection in IROPS. If your JFK-SEA flight is delayed and you miss the SEA-KOA leg, your options for getting to Hawaii that day become pretty limited if any at all. But if you take JFK-HNL, even if JFK-HNL is delayed and you miss your original HNL-KOA, leg, HA has so many flights a day to all of the neighbor islands that you’ll still be likely to get to KOA that day.

DL is now selling Premium Select on routes to HNL with aircraft equipped with a PS Cabin. No more “get a PS seat to Hawaii by paying for C+” (at least not from anywhere from SLC or points East).
Old Sep 24, 2023, 5:54 pm

Programs: DL PM; UA 1K; AA 1MM
I'm don't think that's correct. DL sells Premium Select distinctly from Comfort+ on the JFK-HNL non-stop, at least on the 764 (sample dates 12/11-12/15)

I think DL's systems get confused because there is no PE/PS on the Hawaiian Airlines inter-island codeshare flight. You would probably have to buy the JFK-HNL and HNL-KOA separately (the latter via Hawaiian) in order to book PS on the JFK-HNL. Separating the itinerary like that carries risks, of course. Or perhaps an agent is capable of booking the combine itinerary you want, but I'm not sure if they'll have any more luck than you are (doesn't hurt to call and check)
Old Sep 24, 2023, 6:06 pm

Programs: Delta DM, United Silver, Marriott LT Platinum, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by ATOBTTR
DL is now selling Premium Select on routes to HNL with aircraft equipped with a PS Cabin. No more “get a PS seat to Hawaii by paying for C+” (at least not from anywhere from SLC or points East).
Originally Posted by ty97
I'm don't think that's correct. DL sells Premium Select distinctly from Comfort+ on the JFK-HNL non-stop, at least on the 764 (sample dates 12/11-12/15)
Oh, I didn't know that. Last I heard that was only from ATL and DTW to Hawaii.
Old Sep 24, 2023, 6:09 pm
Original Poster

Think I might have just answered my original question.

So for JFK -> HNL -> KOA it looks like if I change my date of travel by a day I can use a RUC certificate to get confirmed D1 on the way there. Was not expecting that.

Can't say no to that.
ty97 and ATOBTTR like this.
Old Sep 24, 2023, 7:43 pm

Programs: DL*DM/AA*G
Think I might have just answered my original question.

So for JFK -> HNL -> KOA it looks like if I change my date of travel by a day I can use a RUC certificate to get confirmed D1 on the way there. Was not expecting that.

Can't say no to that.
And with SDC could even get something different than the 763 though it'd involve a layover in DTW/ATL.

Do make sure though it's RUC into D1, not PS. Not sure which time they officially start selling PS on JFK-HNL

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.