Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 18, 2023, 2:25 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: audidudi
Thread Wiki created based on 18 October 2023 Program and SkyClub access updates

Greater Flexibility for Delta Sky Club Access

Select Card Members will benefit from increased access to Clubs during their travel days as well as the option to purchase Club access after exhausting their allotted Club entries. Starting Feb 1 2025 (except where noted eg Jan 1 2024)…updates include:
  • Redefining Club visits: A Delta Sky Club visit now includes all entries within a 24-hour period after first Club entry, including your departure city, connecting airports and arrival at your destination. If you are traveling on a same-day roundtrip and use the Club on your outbound and return flight, both would be included within the same visit.
  • Adding Club visits: Delta SkyMiles Reserve and Reserve Business Card Members will now receive 15 visits per year (up from 10). Card Members with the Platinum Card® and the Business Platinum Card® from American Express will receive 10 visits (up from 6).
    • As previously announced, Members can unlock unlimited Club access after spending $75,000 on their eligible Card in a calendar year and will have unlimited club access for both the remainder of the current program year and the following program year.
    • Beginning Jan. 1, 2024, Delta SkyMiles Platinum and Platinum Business American Express Card Members and those customers traveling in Basic Economy, regardless of card type, will no longer be eligible for Club access.
  • Additional flexibility to purchase Club access: Delta will also introduce the ability for Delta SkyMiles Reserve and Reserve Business Card Members, as well as Card Members with the Platinum Card® from American Express, to purchase Club access at a per-visit rate of $50 per person after exhausting their allotted Club visits. Medallions will also have the option of purchasing an annual individual Delta Sky Club membership for $695.
https://news.delta.com/delta-shares-...oyalty-program

Print Wikipost

SkyClub Access Changes in 2024

Search this Thread

Old Sep 13, 2023, 5:45 pm

Originally Posted by skislc
Oof. Super un-competitive against the AA/UA cards - yes the Reserve has the companion cert, but the main value on the card is the SC access.

If Amex doesn't mess with the access on the vanilla platinum, then it's a no brainer IMO to switch to that from a Reserve (and maybe keep a DL Plat only for the purpose of a MQD waiver/whatever that looks like in the new program). Though I find it hard to believe they won't, in which case the plan becomes buying a SC membership or looking at UA/AA... being hub captive makes that sort of brutal, but I'm seeing AA F fares for less than DL Y fares on a couple of my usual routes (e.g. SLC-BOS) which makes connecting a lot more paletable. Maybe low level status with two programs (DL for short hop western travel and AA for things where I'd need a connection anyway and/or adding a connection isn't a huge impact on overall travel time) is better than PM or the like with one?
the way I read it, no more MQD waiver for Platinum,
Old Sep 13, 2023, 5:50 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Delta Gold, AA Platinum, United Silver
I often fly on Delta out of DCA for their Sky Club there because it is a great place to get work done before flight. This is making me rethink my strategy and maybe switch over to American with their terrific new club there.

I just can’t believe that I’d burn one of six visits just for 30 minutes or an hour before a flight.
shoodawg, wrp96, KDCAflyer and 1 others like this.
Old Sep 13, 2023, 5:57 pm

Programs: United MileagePlus
Originally Posted by ofj
let's not forget the Amex Plat's 5x points on Airfare and Amex travel reservations, the FHR hotel program (elite-like benefits across the board); access to way more lounges than the CSR (Plaza premium, Centurion, Lufthansa, SkyClubs). I would also argue that Amex's customer service is miles ahead of Chase.
Chase has 5x air / 10x hotel rental car on their portal, as well as the Luxury Hotel and Resort Collection (also elite benefits portal). I would not argue Amex's CS is that much superior to make a note of. Lufthansa, etc lounges are a nice bonus, you're right. Despite the deval, I still highly value chase's transfer to united (with no excise tax).
manacit and tygron like this.
Old Sep 13, 2023, 6:03 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL FO, Marriott Titanium
They look very happy about being denied access to the SkyClub 😂😂😂
Spiff, Kevbeau, SteveinA2 and 15 others like this.
Old Sep 13, 2023, 6:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM & MM, Hilton DM, Marriott gold, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska 75K, Wyndham Diamond,
What I don't get is why they didn't base the visits on your status? This is absurd that a diamond that is going to spend $35K a year and probably flying weekly only gets the same number of visits someone that is probably buying a cheap fare months out that flies a couple times a year gets
dburns, metalblaze, Nolala and 3 others like this.
Old Sep 13, 2023, 6:04 pm

Already have purchased several BE early next year expecting lounge visits using my vanilla Amex plat. Am I screwed? When DL eliminated BE lounge visits for elites earlier this year, does anyone know if DL honored those who purchased BE tickets before the announcement?
Old Sep 13, 2023, 6:07 pm

Originally Posted by jamesteroh
What I don't get is why they didn't base the visits on your status? This is absurd that a diamond that is going to spend $35K a year and probably flying weekly only gets the same number of visits someone that is probably buying a cheap fare months out that flies a couple times a year gets
Probably Diamond will get access at $50 a pop? Either way its outrageous.
Old Sep 13, 2023, 6:07 pm

Originally Posted by MotelRomeo
I'm also interested to hear what kind of retention offers people with the Reserve and DL Amex Plat will be getting, and if they are intriguing enough to keep the cards even with reduced benefits.
As someone who just was approved for DL Plat I will be calling first thing in the morning. I wouldn't have gotten the card had I known about these changes, which is a huge bummer. Otherwise I'll just use the 80k in miles and close the card.
Spiff, rylan, MotelRomeo and 1 others like this.
Old Sep 13, 2023, 6:11 pm

Programs: Delta PM, Hyatt Plat-ist, Bonvoyyyyyyed, Hilton $15 Daily F&B Receiver, Food Lion MVP
Originally Posted by bobbybrown
Already have purchased several BE early next year expecting lounge visits using my vanilla Amex plat. Am I screwed? When DL eliminated BE lounge visits for elites earlier this year, does anyone know if DL honored those who purchased BE tickets before the announcement?
looks like the BE restrictions start in 2024

edit: sorry, i forgot it's 2023 and not 2022

Last edited by ekozie; Sep 13, 2023 at 7:24 pm
Old Sep 13, 2023, 6:48 pm

Programs: Fly paid F/J. DL 2MM+.
As soon as I saw the Millennials barging in with backpacks on a few years ago I knew it was over.

Gen X
Old Sep 13, 2023, 6:49 pm

Programs: BA Silver, UA 1K, DL Platinum
I only used the chat to get my renewal date but maybe delta and Amex share customer service agents. I guess I wait till it’s more official and call. I guess I could use it in 2024 but since UA will probably follow and I can only pick one to put that kind of spend on I think it’s decided

Langers88 likes this.
Old Sep 13, 2023, 7:19 pm

Programs: DL PM MM, Marriott Titanium
As someone who holds the Delta Platinum card, I feel like my options are to upgrade to Reserve or another card NOT associated with Delta. Not being able to buy SkyClub access is a deal breaker. Getting 1 MQD per $20 of spend is a joke IMO.
wrp96 and Langers88 like this.
Old Sep 13, 2023, 7:31 pm

Originally Posted by KeepDeltaMyDelta
As soon as I saw the Millennials barging in with backpacks on a few years ago I knew it was over.

Gen X
It's like the Hippies are back!
jimrpa likes this.
Old Sep 13, 2023, 7:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM & MM, Hilton DM, Marriott gold, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska 75K, Wyndham Diamond,
Surprised they aren't limiting membership visits to the centurion lounge with the reserve card. Watch for long lines when the new CL club opens at Atlanta.

Its asinine that a reserve delta card holder can have unlimited access to the centurion lounge but only 10 visits a year to the skyclub.

If I find out I won't need the reserve for the MQD's I'll just cancel the reserve and use the $200 airline credit on the platinum and the $250 airlien credit on my Hilton card towards a skyclub memberhsip It'll be cheaper than paying fpr the reserve annual fee.
ryandc99, ACCDraw and cemlaw like this.
Old Sep 13, 2023, 7:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by SJC ORD LDR
As someone who holds the Delta Platinum card, I feel like my options are to upgrade to Reserve or another card NOT associated with Delta. Not being able to buy SkyClub access is a deal breaker. Getting 1 MQD per $20 of spend is a joke IMO.
You'll only get 10 visits with the reserve (I still haven't found out if you can use the two guest passes towards an entrance or not).

You may as well just pay the extra $145 for the vanilla platinum and use the $200 airline credit towards a skyclub membership. You'll also get the $200 a year in streaming credits and $200 a year in uber credits (If you dont use ubers jsut order take out from your favorite place on uber eats and the credit applies) and there's the $200 FHR credit and if you go to Vegas, usually you can find a room at the Cosmo for that price.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.