Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 18, 2023, 2:25 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: audidudi
Thread Wiki created based on 18 October 2023 Program and SkyClub access updates

Greater Flexibility for Delta Sky Club Access

Select Card Members will benefit from increased access to Clubs during their travel days as well as the option to purchase Club access after exhausting their allotted Club entries. Starting Feb 1 2025 (except where noted eg Jan 1 2024)…updates include:
  • Redefining Club visits: A Delta Sky Club visit now includes all entries within a 24-hour period after first Club entry, including your departure city, connecting airports and arrival at your destination. If you are traveling on a same-day roundtrip and use the Club on your outbound and return flight, both would be included within the same visit.
  • Adding Club visits: Delta SkyMiles Reserve and Reserve Business Card Members will now receive 15 visits per year (up from 10). Card Members with the Platinum Card® and the Business Platinum Card® from American Express will receive 10 visits (up from 6).
    • As previously announced, Members can unlock unlimited Club access after spending $75,000 on their eligible Card in a calendar year and will have unlimited club access for both the remainder of the current program year and the following program year.
    • Beginning Jan. 1, 2024, Delta SkyMiles Platinum and Platinum Business American Express Card Members and those customers traveling in Basic Economy, regardless of card type, will no longer be eligible for Club access.
  • Additional flexibility to purchase Club access: Delta will also introduce the ability for Delta SkyMiles Reserve and Reserve Business Card Members, as well as Card Members with the Platinum Card® from American Express, to purchase Club access at a per-visit rate of $50 per person after exhausting their allotted Club visits. Medallions will also have the option of purchasing an annual individual Delta Sky Club membership for $695.
https://news.delta.com/delta-shares-...oyalty-program

Print Wikipost

SkyClub Access Changes in 2024

Search this Thread

Old Sep 13, 2023, 4:56 pm

Originally Posted by Adam1222
Flying six times per year might not equate to six visits though. On a single roundtrip with one connection, there would be 4 potential lounge visits.
Actually 6 potential visits

If you fly (For example) MEM to ATL to LGA you could use your entire allocation in 1 Round trip
lsquare, wrp96, ekozie and 2 others like this.
Old Sep 13, 2023, 5:02 pm

Programs: Marriott LTT, DL FO
Documenting for posterity's sake. The current public offer for DL Amex Reserve is 60,000 bonus miles for $5,000 spend in six months with a $550 annual fee. Individual Sky Club membership is $695.

I have the DL Amex Plat, and my private upgrade offer to go from that to Reserve is 15,000 miles for $2,000 spend in six months. Not that I would upgrade; I'd just apply outright for the Reserve if I want it.

My card renewed fairly recently, so I'll be holding on to it for a while before canceling. There's a chance a larger sign up bonus, the BOGO first class ticket, and (limited) Sky Club access still makes it a net positive value option for me to consider next year. I definitely wouldn't be putting any meaningful amount of spend on it beyond the sign up bonus threshold.

I can certainly see how the calculus changes for someone that already has the Reserve and won't be eligible for a sign up bonus. Totally understandable if the BOGO isn't enough to justify the Reserve, especially if the individual Sky Club membership cost stays the same and doesn't have any visit limits.

I'm also interested to hear what kind of retention offers people with the Reserve and DL Amex Plat will be getting, and if they are intriguing enough to keep the cards even with reduced benefits.
ryw and Langers88 like this.
Old Sep 13, 2023, 5:03 pm

Originally Posted by SteveinA2
Actually 6 potential visits

If you fly (For example) MEM to ATL to LGA you could use your entire allocation in 1 Round trip
Hm, hadn't thought about it that way. Maybe, better to have each pass good for the entire day?
esc2476 and Kerrirdh like this.
Old Sep 13, 2023, 5:06 pm

Programs: Delta PM, Hyatt Plat-ist, Bonvoyyyyyyed, Hilton $15 Daily F&B Receiver, Food Lion MVP
Originally Posted by SFTNYC
It seems for the weekly (or semi-weekly) PM traveller who wants unlimited access and isn’t able to spend $75K on a personal credit card, they’re steering us to buying memberships rather than accessing by card? I’m sure this will have a sizable impact at the hubs but do places like MCI or IND become deserted?
shifting 28k in spend to a 2.5% cashback card pays the 695 skyclub membership fee

imagine what 75k can do
Old Sep 13, 2023, 5:07 pm

Programs: DL DM; Hyatt Globalist; etc
Originally Posted by cvision
You get PP access already, though. I guess CSR has a somewhat lower annual rate.
CSR has an insanely low AF for what it is. $550 but you get a $300 travel credit, which anyone on Flyertalk spends easily. Ends up being a fraction of the Amex Plat in actual $ out of the bank.
Old Sep 13, 2023, 5:10 pm

Originally Posted by manacit
CSR has an insanely low AF for what it is. $550 but you get a $300 travel credit, which anyone on Flyertalk spends easily. Ends up being a fraction of the Amex Plat in actual $ out of the bank.
I think CSR is probably a better value proposition, unless there's a CL in one's home airport. The one thing Chase can't match with Amex is the proprietary airport lounges, at least not thus far.
lsquare, tygron and hedberg1661 like this.
Old Sep 13, 2023, 5:14 pm

Programs: DL*DM/AA*G
And some of the MR transfer partners are not available on Chase (and vice-versa?)
Old Sep 13, 2023, 5:15 pm

Originally Posted by ekozie
shifting 28k in spend to a 2.5% cashback card pays the 695 skyclub membership fee

imagine what 75k can do
Imagine a 3.5% cash back with no or low annual fee
That said AMEX has always been a bad deal financially (For customers and merchants)
ekozie likes this.
Old Sep 13, 2023, 5:16 pm

Originally Posted by Rd3
https://thepointsguy.com/news/delta-...ccess-changes/

From the TPG article-Beginning on Feb. 1, 2025, Delta will limit how many times you can visit a Sky Club in each program year, as follows.
  • The Platinum Card® from American Express — six annual visits.
  • The Business Platinum Card® from American Express — six annual visits.
  • Delta SkyMiles® Reserve American Express Card — 10 annual visits. (Two annual guest passes will still be provided.)
  • Delta SkyMiles® Reserve Business American Express Card — 10 annual visits
Also-" Note that if you have multiple versions of the same credit card, visit allotments are additive."
Wait, so.... do the annual guest passes on the Business Reserve card go away?
Old Sep 13, 2023, 5:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM & MM, Hilton DM, Marriott gold, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska 75K, Wyndham Diamond,
Nothing like hosing your most loyal flyers twice. Now you are expected to spend $35K a year for diamond and you only have access to the clubs 10 timesa == a yeear? Wonder if you can use the guest passes for yourself for visits.
lsquare, cemlaw and hedberg1661 like this.
Old Sep 13, 2023, 5:18 pm
ofj

Programs: AF/KLM Platinum, Marriott Platinum
let's not forget the Amex Plat's 5x points on Airfare and Amex travel reservations, the FHR hotel program (elite-like benefits across the board); access to way more lounges than the CSR (Plaza premium, Centurion, Lufthansa, SkyClubs). I would also argue that Amex's customer service is miles ahead of Chase.
Old Sep 13, 2023, 5:22 pm

I now understand why Delta reversed their initial decision to not let you have lounge access on Arrival. They must be hoping folks burn all the access coupons on one round trip.
demkr, ryandc99, DrMilano and 2 others like this.
Old Sep 13, 2023, 5:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC, Avis PC
DL really outdid themselves walking off the cliff with this one. 75k for unlimited visits is a kick to the teeth and beyond insulting. Sorry, who in their right mind is going to direct that much spend to the card for the SC?
Also, 10 visits per year is a total JOKE. That can be gone in a few roundtrips with connections.

Hoping for a massive backlash of cancellations. Would not be surprised if many skyclubs end up being empty from this and no longer having sufficient revenue generation to sustain themselves.
Spiff, DCFlyer0306, ekozie and 6 others like this.
Old Sep 13, 2023, 5:42 pm

Someone please explain in what universe does this increase spend on co-brand cards? You are way better off with a no fee cash back card.
Boraxo, SteveinA2, demkr and 7 others like this.
Old Sep 13, 2023, 5:45 pm

Programs: DL GM, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by rylan
DL really outdid themselves walking off the cliff with this one. 75k for unlimited visits is a kick to the teeth and beyond insulting. Sorry, who in their right mind is going to direct that much spend to the card for the SC?
Also, 10 visits per year is a total JOKE. That can be gone in a few roundtrips with connections.

Hoping for a massive backlash of cancellations. Would not be surprised if many skyclubs end up being empty from this and no longer having sufficient revenue generation to sustain themselves.
I very much agree with your sentiments, but they must have at least done enough math to understand how many people are already spending that or close enough that this encourages them to spend a little more.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.