Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 18, 2023, 2:25 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: audidudi
Thread Wiki created based on 18 October 2023 Program and SkyClub access updates

Greater Flexibility for Delta Sky Club Access

Select Card Members will benefit from increased access to Clubs during their travel days as well as the option to purchase Club access after exhausting their allotted Club entries. Starting Feb 1 2025 (except where noted eg Jan 1 2024)…updates include:
  • Redefining Club visits: A Delta Sky Club visit now includes all entries within a 24-hour period after first Club entry, including your departure city, connecting airports and arrival at your destination. If you are traveling on a same-day roundtrip and use the Club on your outbound and return flight, both would be included within the same visit.
  • Adding Club visits: Delta SkyMiles Reserve and Reserve Business Card Members will now receive 15 visits per year (up from 10). Card Members with the Platinum Card® and the Business Platinum Card® from American Express will receive 10 visits (up from 6).
    • As previously announced, Members can unlock unlimited Club access after spending $75,000 on their eligible Card in a calendar year and will have unlimited club access for both the remainder of the current program year and the following program year.
    • Beginning Jan. 1, 2024, Delta SkyMiles Platinum and Platinum Business American Express Card Members and those customers traveling in Basic Economy, regardless of card type, will no longer be eligible for Club access.
  • Additional flexibility to purchase Club access: Delta will also introduce the ability for Delta SkyMiles Reserve and Reserve Business Card Members, as well as Card Members with the Platinum Card® from American Express, to purchase Club access at a per-visit rate of $50 per person after exhausting their allotted Club visits. Medallions will also have the option of purchasing an annual individual Delta Sky Club membership for $695.
https://news.delta.com/delta-shares-...oyalty-program

Print Wikipost

SkyClub Access Changes in 2024

Search this Thread

Old Sep 13, 2023, 3:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Location: Back in Reds Country (DAY/CVG). Previously: SEA & SAT.
Programs: DL PM 1MM, AA PLAT, UA Silver, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by skislc
Oof. Super un-competitive against the AA/UA cards - yes the Reserve has the companion cert, but the main value on the card is the SC access.
I have to agree. The Reserve is now a "BOGO" card where you pay about as much for card as you would for the "free" ticket. And you can access the SC a few times a year with it.

I won't be shocked if there is significant Reserve card cancellations in the wake of this (and possibly AmEx Platinum card cancellations too though I suspect the impact there may be less, especially outside of DL hubs). If my DL Reserve wasn't free, I'd probably be dumping it.
ACCDraw and Duke787 like this.
Old Sep 13, 2023, 3:56 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL FO, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by ATOBTTR
I have to agree. The Reserve is now a "BOGO" card where you pay about as much for card as you would for the "free" ticket. And you can access the SC a few times a year with it.

I won't be shocked if there is significant Reserve card cancellations in the wake of this (and possibly AmEx Platinum card cancellations too though I suspect the impact there may be less, especially outside of DL hubs). If my DL Reserve wasn't free, I'd probably be dumping it.
I'm keeping my Amex Platinum until I see the crowd levels at the DCA Centurion lounge, but I'm edging toward switching to the CSR for PP lounge access.
tygron and Shadowsych like this.
Old Sep 13, 2023, 3:57 pm

Programs: DL Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by ATOBTTR

I'm almost certainly going to cancel mine. I don't value SC access at $30 a visit and aside from the upgrade tiebreaker (which honestly I don't think does much for me, I usually either clear at the PM window and or am nowhere close), that'll be the only benefit. AF posts in a couple weeks so debatable if I want to keep it for one more year or work on building AA status next year while I still have PM on DL. That'll probably get answered tomorrow once we see how brutal the medallion changes are.

Edit: Appears the Reserve is going to earn MQD at double the rate of the Plat. That makes the argument a bit more interesting if I want to stay fully in the DL ecosystem, though I think that makes the argument for going to low level status on both DL and AA a lot more appealing.
Old Sep 13, 2023, 4:09 pm

Originally Posted by matchbox20_is
Yup. 10x/year for Reserve. $75k waiver for unlimited. 6x/year for Amex Platinum.

I'm very happy about cancelling my Reserve a couple weeks ago and buying a SkyClub membership.
I mean, the change is still a year and change away. Could have kept the card another year.
Old Sep 13, 2023, 4:14 pm

Programs: DL 2MM/DM, Hilton LT Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Marriot Titanium
Originally Posted by skislc
I'm almost certainly going to cancel mine. I don't value SC access at $30 a visit and aside from the upgrade tiebreaker (which honestly I don't think does much for me, I usually either clear at the PM window and or am nowhere close), that'll be the only benefit. AF posts in a couple weeks so debatable if I want to keep it for one more year or work on building AA status next year while I still have PM on DL. That'll probably get answered tomorrow once we see how brutal the medallion changes are.

Edit: Appears the Reserve is going to earn MQD at double the rate of the Plat. That makes the argument a bit more interesting if I want to stay fully in the DL ecosystem, though I think that makes the argument for going to low level status on both DL and AA a lot more appealing.
Million Status as January 1, 2024 is now the #3 tiebreaker as the Reserve gets a downgrade. Reserve earns at $10 credit card spend per 1 MQD and Delta Platinum is $20 credit card spend per 1 MQD. This is an awful earning ratio for a cobranded card.
cemlaw likes this.

Last edited by DrMilano; Sep 13, 2023 at 4:43 pm
Old Sep 13, 2023, 4:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
Not sure if we will keep our generic Amex Plats but if we do I can live with 6 visits.

Do AU cardholders get 6 visits as well?
Old Sep 13, 2023, 4:25 pm

Originally Posted by Boraxo
Not sure if we will keep our generic Amex Plats but if we do I can live with 6 visits.

Do AU cardholders get 6 visits as well?
6 sounds like a good number. In another thread, I had thought the average American flew domestically 6 times per year, only to be shown by some fellow FT'ers that it was more like 2. So, 6 seems plenty for your avg cardmember!
Old Sep 13, 2023, 4:36 pm

Programs: DL 2MM/DM, Hilton LT Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Marriot Titanium
AmEx Platinum (non-branded aka 'Vanilla") is capped at 6 visits per year unless $75,000 yearly spend will then grant unlimited access.

I believe the reduction in lounge changes for Reserve and AmEx Platinum starts 2025 (not 2024 in original post), as spending needs to be tracked for 2024.
Visconti likes this.

Last edited by DrMilano; Sep 13, 2023 at 4:44 pm
Old Sep 13, 2023, 4:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Visconti
6 sounds like a good number. In another thread, I had thought the average American flew domestically 6 times per year, only to be shown by some fellow FT'ers that it was more like 2. So, 6 seems plenty for your avg cardmember!
The average American is a VERY different universe than the average Amex Platinum cardholder.
Old Sep 13, 2023, 4:44 pm

Programs: IATA, Sabre, AvgeekAgent
Originally Posted by Boraxo
I can certainly live with it based on my current (reduced) travel patterns. I could use more but will simply visit other lounges (Centurion, Escape, Priority Pass) or arrive at the airport later. Coupled with the SkyMiles changes, there is definitely going to be a group that will meet the $75K threshold easily on their way to making Gold or Platinum with contribution from CC spend. Now, if Amex decides to cap Centurion visits too...

I can see the JFK Centurion really getting stretched with this change (and maybe others).

Last edited by NYC Flyer; Sep 13, 2023 at 4:45 pm Reason: amplification
Old Sep 13, 2023, 4:44 pm

Programs: DL PM; IHG PlatAmb; Hilton Dia; Marriott Plat; Hyatt Discoverist
Flying six times per year might not equate to six visits though. On a single roundtrip with one connection, there would be 4 potential lounge visits.
Old Sep 13, 2023, 4:45 pm

Originally Posted by DLHubber
Not sure why, since the changes don’t go into effect until Feb 2025.

because knee-jerk reactions are the way we respond on the flyer talk. That doesn’t mean we actually follow through.
SCChris and wrp96 like this.
Old Sep 13, 2023, 4:46 pm

Programs: DL DM; Hyatt Globalist; etc
I'll likely keep my card through next year given this doesn't take effect into '25, but I will certainly be cancelling after that. $75k of spend costs more in missed benefits before you even get to the AF. The rest of the card just isn't worth it to me.

Will DL continue to sell individual memberships? $695 is fine with me if I end up sticking with DL around their FF changes. Easier than wasting spend on an Amex card.
Old Sep 13, 2023, 4:47 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL PM
It seems for the weekly (or semi-weekly) PM traveller who wants unlimited access and isn’t able to spend $75K on a personal credit card, they’re steering us to buying memberships rather than accessing by card? I’m sure this will have a sizable impact at the hubs but do places like MCI or IND become deserted?
Old Sep 13, 2023, 4:54 pm

Programs: DL*DM/AA*G
Originally Posted by KDCAflyer
I'm keeping my Amex Platinum until I see the crowd levels at the DCA Centurion lounge, but I'm edging toward switching to the CSR for PP lounge access.
You get PP access already, though. I guess CSR has a somewhat lower annual rate.
Synapseturquoise likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.