Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Delta SkyMiles Program Changes (Total Revenue Based) for 2025 Medallion Year

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 13, 2023, 3:22 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: audidudi
Highlights of SkyMiles Program Changes and Status Requirement Thresholds
  • Delta and partner flights: Earn 1 MQD per $1 spent on the ticket price for a Delta-marketed flight operated by Delta or by a partner airline.
  • Flights booked and ticketed by eligible partners will earn MQDs at the same rate as they do today, based on the fare class purchased and distance flown. Delta has revamped the MQD earning charts on many partners. Notably, non-full fare Business has been reduced from 40% to 30% on a number of core partners.
  • Credit cards: Delta SkyMiles Reserve American Express and Reserve Business Card Members earn 1 MQD for every $10 spent. Delta SkyMiles Platinum and Platinum Business American Express Card Members earn 1 MQD for every $20 spent. There is no limit to how many MQDs you can earn from credit card spending.
  • Credit Card MQD Headstart: Updated 18 October 2023: Members with the Delta SkyMiles Reserve, Reserve Business, Delta SkyMiles Platinum and Platinum Business American Express Cards will also receive an MQD Headstart of $2,500 MQDs for the current Medallion Qualification Year
  • Car rentals: Earn 1 MQD per $1 spent on completed car rentals booked through Delta direct channels.
  • Hotel stays: Earn 1 MQD per $1 spent on completed stays booked through Delta direct channels.
    Hotel Stays and Car Rentals: Customers may earn MQDs through Delta flights, Delta Vacations packages, and purchases on the Delta SkyMiles Platinum, Platinum Business, Reserve and Reserve Business American Express Cards. Car rentals and hotel/vacation rentals booked through Delta Car Rentals and Delta Stays will not earn MQDs toward Medallion Status (​​​​​Updated 18 October 2023).
    **Delta will honor MQDs earned on Member car rentals and hotel/vacation rentals booked through Delta Car Rentals and Stays between September 14, 2023 and October 31, 2023, for 2024 travel.
  • Delta Vacations: Earn 1 MQD per $1 spent on the entire vacation experience, in addition to what you earn for your flight, when booking directly with Delta Vacations.
Updated by Delta 0n 18 October 2023:
Making Medallion Status More Accessible:
We will reduce the proposed number of Medallion Qualifying Dollars (MQDs) needed to earn 2025 Medallion Status.
  • Silver Medallion Status: from 6,000 to 5,000 MQDs
  • Gold Medallion Status: from 12,000 to 10,000 MQDs
  • Platinum Medallion Status: from 18,000 to 15,000 MQDs
  • Diamond Medallion Status: from 35,000 to 28,000 MQDs

Your Existing MQMs:
  • Convert to MQD at 20:1 MQDs will convert at 10:1 (updated on 18 October 2023)
    Also: Beginning in early 2024, Members will have a choice as to whether to put MQM Rollover balances toward MQDs or SkyMiles. And customers who have MQM Rollover balances over 100,000 will be given special offers to extend their earned 2024 Status—one year for each 100K Rollover MQMs. Delta will also provide an option to convert MQM Rollover balances into MQDs at a more generous ratio of 10:1 (up from 20:1). Members will also be able to convert MQMs Rollover balances to SkyMiles at a ratio of 2:1.
  • Convert to redeemable SkyMiles at 2:1
Rollover:
  • Gone after 2023.
Credit Card MQD Earnings Rates (MQD Boost benefit):
  • Delta Amex Blue: Zero
  • Delta Amex Gold: Zero
  • Delta Amex Platinum: 1 MQD per $20 spent
  • Delta Amex Reserve: 1 MQD per $10 spent
Million Miler Status
Beginning in January 2024, Million Miler status will go to BIS miles flown only.

Updated 18 October 2023:
More Recognition and Rewards for Long-Term LoyaltyDelta is giving long-term loyalists more of the recognition they deserve. Effective January 1, 2024, the airline is moving Million Miler Status up in the hierarchy for Complimentary Upgrades. And beginning February 1, 2024, Million Milers will also receive enhanced complimentary annual Medallion Status.
  • 6 million miles or more earns Delta 360o™ (previously Diamond Medallion)
  • 5 million miles earns Delta 360o™ (previously Platinum Medallion)
  • 4 million miles earns Diamond Medallion (previously Platinum Medallion)
  • 3 million miles earns Diamond Medallion (previously Gold Medallion)
  • 2 million miles earns Platinum Medallion (previously Gold Medallion)
  • 1 million miles earns Gold Medallion (previously Silver Medallion)
Million miler status moves to priority number 3 in the complimentary upgrade hierarchy
Priority order through 12/31/23:
  1. Medallion status
  2. Fare class groupings: higher-prices fares are ranked above lower-priced fares
  3. Delta Reserve AmEx card members
Priority order beginning 1/1/24:
  1. Medallion status
  2. Cabin purchased (original + paid upgrades)
  3. Million miler status
  4. Delta AmEx Reserve card members
  5. Delta Corporate Travellers
  6. MQSs earned in current calendar year
  7. Date and time of upgrade request

Official announcement from Delta Air Lines:
https://www.delta.com/us/en/skymiles...rogram-updates

18 October 2023 Rollback/Update Announcement:
https://news.delta.com/delta-shares-...oyalty-program

Print Wikipost

Delta SkyMiles Program Changes (Total Revenue Based) for 2025 Medallion Year

Search this Thread

Old Sep 13, 2023, 3:54 pm

Originally Posted by kcnwgold
There is no mention of the Delta Gold Amex card and if it will earn MQD's. Or did I miss that?
I think it’s safe to assume it will not.
Old Sep 13, 2023, 3:55 pm

Programs: DL PM, 1.1MM
Any idea what's going to happen to MMs? or what the thresholds will be?
Old Sep 13, 2023, 3:56 pm

Programs: Delta DM, Marriot TE
Originally Posted by arunhn
RIP DL Reserve card.
If both DL RSRV and normal AMEX Plat gives you the same 10 visits per year, and both allows for unlimited visits after $75K spend annually, what is even the point (serious question) of having a DL branded AMEX RSRV card?
No point in the Delta Platinum either.
Old Sep 13, 2023, 3:57 pm

Programs: DL GM, HH Diamond
RIP DL Reserve card.
If both DL RSRV and normal AMEX Plat gives you the same 10 visits per year, and both allows for unlimited visits after $75K spend annually, what is even the point (serious question) of having a DL branded AMEX RSRV card?
Double the MQD earning on the reserve card would be the only benefit.
Old Sep 13, 2023, 3:57 pm

Programs: DL PM
Originally Posted by p0rkbelly
No point in the Delta Platinum either.
companion certs still potentially pays for the AFs on Delta Plat
DiverDave likes this.
Old Sep 13, 2023, 3:59 pm

Originally Posted by WheelsFirst
I am surprised at how much higher this is compared to AA which is 40k, 75k, 125, and 200k
Seems to be more or less in the same ballpark, when you consider AA’s sliding scale based on current status. It’s a bunch less than each AA tier starting from nothing, a bunch more than you need if you already have high status with AA.
Old Sep 13, 2023, 3:59 pm

Programs: DL/HH/IHG/BW/Caesar's Diamond (Select), UA 1K, AA EXP, Marriott/MGM Gold, Hertz/Avis PC
I'm going to argue that the new changes are actually really good for a subset of customers which includes me so of course I am happy. I'm a Diamond medallion who mostly credits partner long haul business class flights to Delta. MQDs have never been an issue and 35k won't be an issue. However, now the amount of competition for upgrades/better service is going to greatly be reduced let alone the platinums and golds in the SkyPriority lane. Almost nobody is going to get status through a credit card ($120k for gold, $180k for platinum, and $350k for Diamond) meaning again less "elites" with 25k of spend and 4 segments. The credit card access policies are a non issue as my Amex Platinum gets well over $75k in spend but the lounges are about to get way emptier. The only sad thing as a partner airline earner is the Million Miler changes but I will take that for the other benefits and I am excited for these new choice benefits. Diamond might be the new 360!
msp_flyer, DrMilano and hhdl like this.
Old Sep 13, 2023, 4:01 pm

Programs: BA Silver, UA 1K, DL Platinum
This is pretty wild but I half expected this given Delta used to be a leader rather than a follower so they were unlikely just to copy the AA program.

So I will join the queue to downgrade by Reserve to a much cheaper product unless there is some additional news from the Amex side. I will gain because when I fly DeltaOne I get the dedicated one in JFK anyway (only a few times a year so Silver maybe?).
Old Sep 13, 2023, 4:02 pm

Programs: DL DM, 2 MM; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Airborne Brat
The only sad thing as a partner airline earner is the Million Miler changes but I will take that for the other benefits and I am excited for these new choice benefits. Diamond might be the new 360!
Wait, what is the parter airline earner related to Million Miler changes?
Old Sep 13, 2023, 4:02 pm

RIP DL Reserve card.
Sounds like the non-branded one is six, not ten. And other than that one benefit, the cards are otherwise completely distinct in terms of what they offer.
Old Sep 13, 2023, 4:03 pm

Programs: DL Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
Brutal... off to AA most likely for this SLC based hub captive. With the prices DL is charging here, combined with SC access getting nuked, the idea of taking a layover becomes a lot more appealing, especially since I've heard upgrades for Plat Pro on AA (which should be very doable for me given current travel patterns/spend) are a lot more consistent than for PM on DL.

Though as someone who hit PM on ~$6k of spend last year plus the Amex waiver, I'm sure I'm the exact customer they're trying to get rid of with these changes. Nicely done, DL.
uanj, brianm27, LovePrunes and 3 others like this.
Old Sep 13, 2023, 4:06 pm

Programs: Delta DM, United Silver, Marriott LT Platinum, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by michab
Sounds like the non-branded one is six, not ten. And other than that one benefit, the cards are otherwise completely distinct in terms of what they offer.
Can't imagine the Amex lounge guests being too happy about this!
lucycan likes this.
Old Sep 13, 2023, 4:10 pm

Wonder if you can still earn MQDs on tickets booked with miles
Old Sep 13, 2023, 4:11 pm
zmb

Programs: DL Gold Medallion, Avis President's Club
I'm SEA-based so I guess it's time to evaluate AS's MVP program, which is still distance-based and has absolutely zero credit card component.

So much for buying all my personal flights with SkyMiles and using the Amex MQD waiver to reach Medallion status, it lasted me one year (this year).
DiverDave, ffI, LovePrunes and 3 others like this.
Old Sep 13, 2023, 4:11 pm

Programs: AA GLD Skymiles DM MM, a+ rewards lifetime elite, AS, Marriott plat, PC plat, HH gold
No need for a personal and business card now for multiple MQM bonuses. Companion ticket is only benefit for more than one card/annual fee.

Status grants from Choice benefits will be more valuable. I will probably send more family spend to hotel card and use a choice benefit to save $120k in spending for kids FO.
ffI likes this.

Last edited by turkeyRIOO; Sep 13, 2023 at 4:18 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.