Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Delta SkyMiles Program Changes (Total Revenue Based) for 2025 Medallion Year

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 13, 2023, 3:22 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: audidudi
Highlights of SkyMiles Program Changes and Status Requirement Thresholds
  • Delta and partner flights: Earn 1 MQD per $1 spent on the ticket price for a Delta-marketed flight operated by Delta or by a partner airline.
  • Flights booked and ticketed by eligible partners will earn MQDs at the same rate as they do today, based on the fare class purchased and distance flown. Delta has revamped the MQD earning charts on many partners. Notably, non-full fare Business has been reduced from 40% to 30% on a number of core partners.
  • Credit cards: Delta SkyMiles Reserve American Express and Reserve Business Card Members earn 1 MQD for every $10 spent. Delta SkyMiles Platinum and Platinum Business American Express Card Members earn 1 MQD for every $20 spent. There is no limit to how many MQDs you can earn from credit card spending.
  • Credit Card MQD Headstart: Updated 18 October 2023: Members with the Delta SkyMiles Reserve, Reserve Business, Delta SkyMiles Platinum and Platinum Business American Express Cards will also receive an MQD Headstart of $2,500 MQDs for the current Medallion Qualification Year
  • Car rentals: Earn 1 MQD per $1 spent on completed car rentals booked through Delta direct channels.
  • Hotel stays: Earn 1 MQD per $1 spent on completed stays booked through Delta direct channels.
    Hotel Stays and Car Rentals: Customers may earn MQDs through Delta flights, Delta Vacations packages, and purchases on the Delta SkyMiles Platinum, Platinum Business, Reserve and Reserve Business American Express Cards. Car rentals and hotel/vacation rentals booked through Delta Car Rentals and Delta Stays will not earn MQDs toward Medallion Status (​​​​​Updated 18 October 2023).
    **Delta will honor MQDs earned on Member car rentals and hotel/vacation rentals booked through Delta Car Rentals and Stays between September 14, 2023 and October 31, 2023, for 2024 travel.
  • Delta Vacations: Earn 1 MQD per $1 spent on the entire vacation experience, in addition to what you earn for your flight, when booking directly with Delta Vacations.
Updated by Delta 0n 18 October 2023:
Making Medallion Status More Accessible:
We will reduce the proposed number of Medallion Qualifying Dollars (MQDs) needed to earn 2025 Medallion Status.
  • Silver Medallion Status: from 6,000 to 5,000 MQDs
  • Gold Medallion Status: from 12,000 to 10,000 MQDs
  • Platinum Medallion Status: from 18,000 to 15,000 MQDs
  • Diamond Medallion Status: from 35,000 to 28,000 MQDs

Your Existing MQMs:
  • Convert to MQD at 20:1 MQDs will convert at 10:1 (updated on 18 October 2023)
    Also: Beginning in early 2024, Members will have a choice as to whether to put MQM Rollover balances toward MQDs or SkyMiles. And customers who have MQM Rollover balances over 100,000 will be given special offers to extend their earned 2024 Statusone year for each 100K Rollover MQMs. Delta will also provide an option to convert MQM Rollover balances into MQDs at a more generous ratio of 10:1 (up from 20:1). Members will also be able to convert MQMs Rollover balances to SkyMiles at a ratio of 2:1.
  • Convert to redeemable SkyMiles at 2:1
Rollover:
  • Gone after 2023.
Credit Card MQD Earnings Rates (MQD Boost benefit):
  • Delta Amex Blue: Zero
  • Delta Amex Gold: Zero
  • Delta Amex Platinum: 1 MQD per $20 spent
  • Delta Amex Reserve: 1 MQD per $10 spent
Million Miler Status
Beginning in January 2024, Million Miler status will go to BIS miles flown only.

Updated 18 October 2023:
More Recognition and Rewards for Long-Term LoyaltyDelta is giving long-term loyalists more of the recognition they deserve. Effective January 1, 2024, the airline is moving Million Miler Status up in the hierarchy for Complimentary Upgrades. And beginning February 1, 2024, Million Milers will also receive enhanced complimentary annual Medallion Status.
  • 6 million miles or more earns Delta 360o (previously Diamond Medallion)
  • 5 million miles earns Delta 360o (previously Platinum Medallion)
  • 4 million miles earns Diamond Medallion (previously Platinum Medallion)
  • 3 million miles earns Diamond Medallion (previously Gold Medallion)
  • 2 million miles earns Platinum Medallion (previously Gold Medallion)
  • 1 million miles earns Gold Medallion (previously Silver Medallion)
Million miler status moves to priority number 3 in the complimentary upgrade hierarchy
Priority order through 12/31/23:
  1. Medallion status
  2. Fare class groupings: higher-prices fares are ranked above lower-priced fares
  3. Delta Reserve AmEx card members
Priority order beginning 1/1/24:
  1. Medallion status.
  2. Cabin purchased (original + paid upgrades).
  3. Million Miler status.
  4. Delta AmEx Reserve card holders.
  5. Delta Corporate.
  6. MQDs earned in current calendar year.
  7. Date and time of upgrade request.

Official announcement from Delta Air Lines:
https://www.delta.com/us/en/skymiles...rogram-updates

18 October 2023 Rollback/Update Announcement:
https://news.delta.com/delta-shares-...oyalty-program

Print Wikipost

Delta SkyMiles Program Changes (Total Revenue Based) for 2025 Medallion Year

Search this Thread

Old Sep 13, 2023, 4:56 pm

Programs: Delta PM, Hyatt Plat-ist, Bonvoyyyyyyed, Hilton $15 Daily F&B Receiver, Food Lion MVP
Originally Posted by Adelphos
If there truly is a demand cliff, all of this is pointless as Delta will
simply roll back all changes. But we have gone through years of inflation, asset price increase, net worth growth, baby boomer retirement (my retired parents are on 401k, social security, pensions, etc and do nothing but travel), etc. So I would not bet on demand falling in any meaningful way
here on earth #1 total consumer credit card debt just crossed 1 trillion and delinquencies look like this:

not to mention the airlines self-reporting demand softness for this fall and into next year
Spiff and Duke787 like this.
Old Sep 13, 2023, 4:57 pm

Programs: B6 Mosaic, Bonvoy LT Titanium (x SPG LT), IHG Spire, UA Silver
Talking

Originally Posted by CVFDCHIEF180
Yeah what is DL going to do with the Skymiles Shopping portal? How will those count?
The way things are going, $10,000 in spend gets you 1 MQD
gotmilk8, ekozie, Visconti and 4 others like this.
Old Sep 13, 2023, 4:58 pm

Originally Posted by beachmouse
I think theyve hoping that liking Delta will translate into keeping an AmEx Delta credit card. And on people not doing the research and discovering if it seems impossible to chase status, it makes more sense to throw spend on an AmEx Everyday Preferred or AmEx Gold and transferring MR points into SkyMiles as needed instead of spending on an AmEx Delta card if youre one of the folks who prefers to fly Delta.
absolutely zero need here to spend on a cobranded delta card. Thanks for the push delta!
ty97, DrMilano, ekozie and 6 others like this.
Old Sep 13, 2023, 4:58 pm

Programs: Delta PM, Hyatt Plat-ist, Bonvoyyyyyyed, Hilton $15 Daily F&B Receiver, Food Lion MVP
This forgets the MQD earning aspect of spend - it may be meaningful, it may not, but many spent on Amex cards because it helped them get to that next level of status.
the carrot of 10:1 (or 20:1) spend:MQDs is far too small to be a meaningful carrot for anyone who stops and maths it out for 5 minutes. take all that cobrand spend, put it on a 2.5% cashback card, and it's likely enough to WFBF on most trips for anyone who needed cobrand spend to get status in the first place

edit: it's possible to assign a dollar value to nearly every facet of medallion status. 2.5% cashback at the same spend level can likely buy all of the things status used to include, in a more cost-effective way than putting the spend to use on achieving status, i.e. paying for perques a la cart should be more than covered by shifting spend to a cashback card.
Old Sep 13, 2023, 4:59 pm

Programs: AA Plat Pro
If you reserve $10,000 of hotels via Delta.com, you get $10,000 MQD…. but if you spend $10,000 on a Delta Reserve card, you get $1,000 MQD. Gigantic difference that most Delta customers wont be used to
Its the same with AA and their branded CC to a degree. 1 Mile and 1 Loyalty Point (LP) per dollar spent on the card (sometimes a bonus category like buying AA flights earns 2X). Use the partners AND the AA branded CC to purchase, and you get higher returns for the dollars spent (such as the hotel platform. If you don't have the AA card, then you get like 100 miles and LP, whereas if you have the card, you can get perhaps up to 30X or more, per dollar spent. Its all about pushing you to partners who have already bought millions (10's of millions? more?) of Skymiles from Delta.

I realize the programs are not the same, but in a general sense they will function similarly. However, at first glance, Delta seems to be looking to eliminate a lot of Elites with this new scheme the first year. With AA, the first year of switching to just LP, they offered ridiculous amounts of LP. If you did it right, 13 nights at hotels could earn you Platinum Pro Status for maybe $3000 spend. 20 nights and you could be EXP - this has all since been tampered down on year 2.

EDIT: For reference, AA;s levels are Gold (ruby) at 40K LP, Platinum (Sapphire) at 75K LP, Plat Pro (Emerald) at 125L LP and Executive Plat (Emerald) at 200K. But spend and partners make it relatively easy.
BSAChris likes this.

Last edited by Bradhattan; Sep 13, 2023 at 8:24 pm
Old Sep 13, 2023, 4:59 pm

Originally Posted by matchbox20_is
Is rollover gone now? For example if you get $11k MQD do you get FO and $5k rollover?
It hasnt been mentioned anywhere, so I would assume its gone.
DrMilano and hhdl like this.
Old Sep 13, 2023, 5:02 pm

Originally Posted by Adam1222
Approximately 95% of the things people said were going to happen in that thread did not actually happen. (I'd argue that the changes were worse ) No one is better off having participated in that thread than if they heard about changes today.
And thats the way the cookie crumbles.
ffI and BSAChris like this.
Old Sep 13, 2023, 5:02 pm

Originally Posted by steveholt
Right. These changes only incentivize spending $75K for lounge access if you're so tethered to Delta that you're not willing to do the math on alternatives.

I could spend $75K of unbonused spend on a DL card and earn 75,000 DL miles (~$900) and unlimited lounge access for myself.

I could spend that same $75K of unbonused spend on my Premium Rewards card and get 2.625% back, which is $1970, and buy lounge access for $675. I also get the benefits of having the rest left in cash as opposed to, you know, a currency that DL has shown little interest in propping up.

I would be implicitly be buying DL miles for 1.72 cents/mile by putting that spend on a DL card as opposed to a cash back card. No thanks.
It is never a good long term business model to assume your customers are stupid. I think Delta Intern MBA's have misjudged this. I get Delta want to address overcrowding, but they also want to expand AMEX revenue from $6B to $10B. Now anyone with a Delta Amex is throwing away money. Also in calculation above you have to include the Annual inflated fee for the AMEX compared to low or no fee cash back cards.
Old Sep 13, 2023, 5:03 pm
ffI

Programs: AA EXP2M, DL 1MM DM ext, UA PP <=> HH G/Marr PE/Hyatt G/IHG P FT RA ( Recovering Addict)
I do not think the calculations are right. The $675 gets Lounge membership; You get 2.625c cash= 1968.50
The DL Reserve card is not free - it costs 600$ at least + gets 75k DL miles worth 15% more than 1c at most = about 862.50
The loss is 1900-850 = about 1050 by going to DL Amex;
you are still buying DL miles for 2.625c and buying 1.15c of travel with each DL mile

Originally Posted by steveholt
Right. These changes only incentivize spending $75K for lounge access if you're so tethered to Delta that you're not willing to do the math on alternatives.
I could spend $75K of unbonused spend on a DL card and earn 75,000 DL miles (~$900) and unlimited lounge access for myself.
I could spend that same $75K of unbonused spend on my Premium Rewards card and get 2.625% back, which is $1970, and buy lounge access for $675. I also get the benefits of having the rest left in cash as opposed to, you know, a currency that DL has shown little interest in propping up.

I would be implicitly be buying DL miles for 1.72 cents/mile by putting that spend on a DL card as opposed to a cash back card. No thanks.
steveholt and ryw like this.
Old Sep 13, 2023, 5:03 pm

Programs: Delta DM, Marriot TE
$75K on a Delta Reserve, plus $11K in flying MQD, gets you Platinum plus unlimited lounge access.

The question is - is Platinum worth it?
Was only worth it for free, instant Comfort+.

I'll just pay for that upgrade now if needed. And lobby my employer to change their flight policy to allow it on shorter durations.
Old Sep 13, 2023, 5:04 pm

Programs: DL PM, BA Gold, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Gold, Radisson Premium, Global Entry, CLEAR
Originally Posted by shoodawg
And thats the way the cookie crumbles.
Are we talking a cookie baked fresh or a packaged cookie worth $0.41 crumbling though
Old Sep 13, 2023, 5:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by ekozie
here on earth #1 total consumer credit card debt just crossed 1 trillion and delinquencies look like this:

not to mention the airlines self-reporting demand softness for this fall and into next year
Lets not forget record breaking contracts for the pilots and no . This is a house of cards that is going to collapse in the next 18 months thats for sure.

Not to mention the airlines are going to see the cost of debt skyrocket the next time they have to issue debt
Spiff, DrMilano and becks1 like this.
Old Sep 13, 2023, 5:05 pm
ffI

Programs: AA EXP2M, DL 1MM DM ext, UA PP <=> HH G/Marr PE/Hyatt G/IHG P FT RA ( Recovering Addict)
If you cannot speculate about potential changes, you might as well shut down Flyertalk.
Originally Posted by Adam1222
Approximately 95% of the things people said were going to happen in that thread did not actually happen. (I'd argue that the changes were worse ) No one is better off having participated in that thread than if they heard about changes today.
MoonPet, renila, hoyateach and 7 others like this.
Old Sep 13, 2023, 5:05 pm

Programs: IATA, Sabre, AvgeekAgent
Majorly bummed about losing the "lock" on Platinum for a number of years, but change is inevitable.

In a way a huge reset to the relative standing of DL elite levels that will possibly breathe some value back into Platinum and Gold levels, as these are reasonably acheivable with flight and CC mix. I'd expect rolling 12-month MQD count to become a factor in complimentary upgrades. Whether people do the math on the ROI for CC spend, who knows (obviously many here will).

Based on the changes DL has made in recent years, the draconian approach initially, with givebacks implemented as needed, seems to be the preferred M.O. If things don't go as predicted, I could see DL improving the award discount for Reserve cards and/or holding temporary "sales" to help keep people engaged with the card (read: spend $75K). Also, they could add a 5-visit bonus at $35K or $40K in spend if the initial changes hurt revenue too much.

I am spending with Citi/AA right now to reach Platinum Pro, but it looks like I will now have to choose between AA and DL for 2025. The upside on spending, at least, is that I'm getting more value out of AA miles than DL. Still, I'd much rather be flying DL, and DL is obviously betting on that sentiment helping with card/loyalty retention.
Adelphos and dennypayne like this.
Old Sep 13, 2023, 5:06 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 75k, DL Silver Medallion
If I'm understanding this correctly, having just achieved(? ahem) Silver Medallion status via a challenge, next year (after Feb. 1, 2024), all I have to do is spend $6000 on Delta flights to keep it? There is now zero BIS time required? Because I sincerely doubted I would fly 25k miles (MQMs) with Delta, TBH, whereas spending $3k (MQD) was trivial in my use case.

Since I prefer Alaska and usually fly them everywhere I can, this is not such a big deal for me. I'm someone who pays (too much) cash from her own pocket for domestic F on Delta to get to all the places AS doesn't go, so this might work in my favor... I've already got a $1200 ticket to northern Minnesota on the books early in 2024. That's 20% of Silver status in one go.

Wait, that counts, right?!? Even though I booked it (spent the $$$) in 2023?

But whether or not six AmEx Business Platinum visits to the SkyClub is sufficient, I don't know. I think I was there seven or eight times in 2023. I also still have children under 21 with whom I travel regularly, so paid access is worth several times the individual traveler value when I factor in bringing my family. (I paid one access fee for my minor child at a SkyClub last month.) But does TPG have it right that the SkyClub limit for AmEx Plat starts in 2025, or is that a typo? '25 feels a LONG way off for the credit card calculation.

If I spend the $695 for a SkyClub membership in 2024 as a Silver Medallion member, will that also count toward my MQD to move the needle toward getting me another year of benefits?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.