Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Delta SkyMiles Program Changes (Total Revenue Based) for 2025 Medallion Year

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 13, 2023, 3:22 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: audidudi
Highlights of SkyMiles Program Changes and Status Requirement Thresholds
  • Delta and partner flights: Earn 1 MQD per $1 spent on the ticket price for a Delta-marketed flight operated by Delta or by a partner airline.
  • Flights booked and ticketed by eligible partners will earn MQDs at the same rate as they do today, based on the fare class purchased and distance flown. Delta has revamped the MQD earning charts on many partners. Notably, non-full fare Business has been reduced from 40% to 30% on a number of core partners.
  • Credit cards: Delta SkyMiles Reserve American Express and Reserve Business Card Members earn 1 MQD for every $10 spent. Delta SkyMiles Platinum and Platinum Business American Express Card Members earn 1 MQD for every $20 spent. There is no limit to how many MQDs you can earn from credit card spending.
  • Credit Card MQD Headstart: Updated 18 October 2023: Members with the Delta SkyMiles Reserve, Reserve Business, Delta SkyMiles Platinum and Platinum Business American Express Cards will also receive an MQD Headstart of $2,500 MQDs for the current Medallion Qualification Year
  • Car rentals: Earn 1 MQD per $1 spent on completed car rentals booked through Delta direct channels.
  • Hotel stays: Earn 1 MQD per $1 spent on completed stays booked through Delta direct channels.
    Hotel Stays and Car Rentals: Customers may earn MQDs through Delta flights, Delta Vacations packages, and purchases on the Delta SkyMiles Platinum, Platinum Business, Reserve and Reserve Business American Express Cards. Car rentals and hotel/vacation rentals booked through Delta Car Rentals and Delta Stays will not earn MQDs toward Medallion Status (​​​​​Updated 18 October 2023).
    **Delta will honor MQDs earned on Member car rentals and hotel/vacation rentals booked through Delta Car Rentals and Stays between September 14, 2023 and October 31, 2023, for 2024 travel.
  • Delta Vacations: Earn 1 MQD per $1 spent on the entire vacation experience, in addition to what you earn for your flight, when booking directly with Delta Vacations.
Updated by Delta 0n 18 October 2023:
Making Medallion Status More Accessible:
We will reduce the proposed number of Medallion Qualifying Dollars (MQDs) needed to earn 2025 Medallion Status.
  • Silver Medallion Status: from 6,000 to 5,000 MQDs
  • Gold Medallion Status: from 12,000 to 10,000 MQDs
  • Platinum Medallion Status: from 18,000 to 15,000 MQDs
  • Diamond Medallion Status: from 35,000 to 28,000 MQDs

Your Existing MQMs:
  • Convert to MQD at 20:1 MQDs will convert at 10:1 (updated on 18 October 2023)
    Also: Beginning in early 2024, Members will have a choice as to whether to put MQM Rollover balances toward MQDs or SkyMiles. And customers who have MQM Rollover balances over 100,000 will be given special offers to extend their earned 2024 Status—one year for each 100K Rollover MQMs. Delta will also provide an option to convert MQM Rollover balances into MQDs at a more generous ratio of 10:1 (up from 20:1). Members will also be able to convert MQMs Rollover balances to SkyMiles at a ratio of 2:1.
  • Convert to redeemable SkyMiles at 2:1
Rollover:
  • Gone after 2023.
Credit Card MQD Earnings Rates (MQD Boost benefit):
  • Delta Amex Blue: Zero
  • Delta Amex Gold: Zero
  • Delta Amex Platinum: 1 MQD per $20 spent
  • Delta Amex Reserve: 1 MQD per $10 spent
Million Miler Status
Beginning in January 2024, Million Miler status will go to BIS miles flown only.

Updated 18 October 2023:
More Recognition and Rewards for Long-Term LoyaltyDelta is giving long-term loyalists more of the recognition they deserve. Effective January 1, 2024, the airline is moving Million Miler Status up in the hierarchy for Complimentary Upgrades. And beginning February 1, 2024, Million Milers will also receive enhanced complimentary annual Medallion Status.
  • 6 million miles or more earns Delta 360o™ (previously Diamond Medallion)
  • 5 million miles earns Delta 360o™ (previously Platinum Medallion)
  • 4 million miles earns Diamond Medallion (previously Platinum Medallion)
  • 3 million miles earns Diamond Medallion (previously Gold Medallion)
  • 2 million miles earns Platinum Medallion (previously Gold Medallion)
  • 1 million miles earns Gold Medallion (previously Silver Medallion)
Million miler status moves to priority number 3 in the complimentary upgrade hierarchy
Priority order through 12/31/23:
  1. Medallion status
  2. Fare class groupings: higher-prices fares are ranked above lower-priced fares
  3. Delta Reserve AmEx card members
Priority order beginning 1/1/24:
  1. Medallion status
  2. Cabin purchased (original + paid upgrades)
  3. Million miler status
  4. Delta AmEx Reserve card members
  5. Delta Corporate Travellers
  6. MQSs earned in current calendar year
  7. Date and time of upgrade request

Official announcement from Delta Air Lines:
https://www.delta.com/us/en/skymiles...rogram-updates

18 October 2023 Rollback/Update Announcement:
https://news.delta.com/delta-shares-...oyalty-program

Print Wikipost

Delta SkyMiles Program Changes (Total Revenue Based) for 2025 Medallion Year

Search this Thread

Old Mar 27, 2024, 1:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
I don't understand why you mention the Diamond bonus at all - it has nothing to do with buying tickets with the card.

Even using a vanilla Platinum and transferring the MR to Delta (itself a poor value of MR) yields higher return for airfare.
hhdl likes this.
Old Mar 27, 2024, 2:45 pm

Programs: DL DM
Originally Posted by findark
I don't understand why you mention the Diamond bonus at all - it has nothing to do with buying tickets with the card.

Even using a vanilla Platinum and transferring the MR to Delta (itself a poor value of MR) yields higher return for airfare.
I can see that it might have been clearer if I'd noted 2 distinct components to the total reward: points earned from paid airfare and points saved on award travel. However, even at base (5 miles per dollar) the net is 4.4%. Between silver and diamond there is a range that tops out around 5.5% (includes only the ~17% on 7-11 miles per dollar accrued from TAKEOFF15.) And more obviously, it's only worth it to the extent you find the award travel deals to be better than cash rebates.

I agree Diamond has nothing to do with getting Skymiles related to using Reserve vs another credit card, but total miles are relevant related to how many additional trips you can get when booking awards at a discounted rate. From the extent that an equivalent Skymiles balance goes further, earning more skymiles means a larger net benefit.

I am not familiar with the "vanilla" Platinum benefits or conversion ratio, so it's very possible that based on conversion ratio it may be a better deal than the Reserve when considering only award tickets. I'd have to admit this is a small consideration for me compared to the savings from companion tickets and lounge access. It's hard to imagine I'd pay for the card if TAKEOFF15 was the only benefit.

Last edited by gm1955; Mar 27, 2024 at 3:07 pm
Old Mar 27, 2024, 2:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
My point is that you can hold a Reserve while using a different credit card to purchase your Delta tickets. You still get the 15% discount on awards, companion certificate, etc. regardless of whether you spend a single dollar on the card. So any appreciation of these benefits is an argument to hold the card, not an argument to put spend on it. Many of us sock-drawer our Reserve cards, and even when I am putting spend on it (I plan for some ~$100k spend this year so I can hit DM), none of my Delta tickets will be part of that total.

The Amex Platinum (not Delta) earns 5x Membership Rewards points on airfare, which can be transferred as SkyMiles 1:1 for a fee (or to other mileage programs at what is generally seen as better value). It is one of a number of options to earn on airfare which is better than 3 Delta miles per dollar.
Old Mar 27, 2024, 5:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

My point is that you can hold a Reserve while using a different credit card to purchase your Delta tickets. You still get the 15% discount on awards, companion certificate, etc. regardless of whether you spend a single dollar on the card. So any appreciation of these benefits is an argument to hold the card, not an argument to put spend on it. Many of us sock-drawer our Reserve cards, and even when I am putting spend on it (I plan for some ~$100k spend this year so I can hit DM), none of my Delta tickets will be part of that total.

The Amex Platinum (not Delta) earns 5x Membership Rewards points on airfare, which can be transferred as SkyMiles 1:1 for a fee (or to other mileage programs at what is generally seen as better value). It is one of a number of options to earn on airfare which is better than 3 Delta miles per dollar.
Right - and if you have a personal Amex Plat to get 5x on the charges, and then a Business Amex Plat to get the 35% rebate on bookings (assuming you select Delta as your preferred airline) you end up with each MR point that would otherwise become 1 Delta mile as instead being worth 1.54 cents toward Delta airfare. Plus, since you're booking with money as far as Delta is concerned, you earn your RDMs too (which I think would be worth about another .15 cents per point here, bringing the total value for a Diamond pretty close to 1.7 cents - not 100% sure on the math for this last bit).
Old Mar 27, 2024, 8:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by josephstern
Right - and if you have a personal Amex Plat to get 5x on the charges, and then a Business Amex Plat to get the 35% rebate on bookings (assuming you select Delta as your preferred airline) you end up with each MR point that would otherwise become 1 Delta mile as instead being worth 1.54 cents toward Delta airfare. Plus, since you're booking with money as far as Delta is concerned, you earn your RDMs too (which I think would be worth about another .15 cents per point here, bringing the total value for a Diamond pretty close to 1.7 cents - not 100% sure on the math for this last bit).
This makes sense if you are spending many $1K's a year on travel and flights. But it's kind of hard to justify the annual fees if you are only spending a few $1K a year. (Yes, there are other benefits that come with these cards, but it's not always possible/realistic to make use of all of them).
Old Mar 29, 2024, 8:14 am

Programs: Delta Skymiles

Thanks for this post. I was just mulling over adding (well - adding back) my Amex Reserve for business to get the $2500 MQD annual boost. I had two Reserve cards for years - initially because of the 30k MQM cap per card. I kept the business Reserve for longer than needed, but I'm wondering if getting it again is worth the $2500 - even if I keep it in my sock drawer. Thoughts?
Old Mar 29, 2024, 8:17 am

This will be the last year I bother earning Platinum, and I am considering dropped my Delta Platinum and just keeping the Delta Reserve because I don't fit in main cabin seats and the upgrade "offers" to C+ from main always cost way more than just buying C+, so the companion ticket isn't worth it. The only upshot would be if Silvers actually get C+ upgrades. So, in the new status economy have Silvers been finding it is pretty sure to get upgraded to C+ or no?
Old Mar 29, 2024, 8:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by CrazyEddie
Thanks for this post. I was just mulling over adding (well - adding back) my Amex Reserve for business to get the $2500 MQD annual boost. I had two Reserve cards for years - initially because of the 30k MQM cap per card. I kept the business Reserve for longer than needed, but I'm wondering if getting it again is worth the $2500 - even if I keep it in my sock drawer. Thoughts?
IMO the companion certificate is make-or-break with the card. The AF is a lot to pay just for $2,500 MQD if you use no other benefits.
CrazyEddie likes this.
Old Mar 29, 2024, 9:48 am

Programs: Delta Diamond; HHonors Diamond
Rollover MQMs Conversion??

Has Delta announced when and how you must elect whether to convert your rollover MQMs to skymiles or extended status?
Old Mar 29, 2024, 9:52 am

Originally Posted by flyerfirsts
This will be the last year I bother earning Platinum, and I am considering dropped my Delta Platinum and just keeping the Delta Reserve because I don't fit in main cabin seats and the upgrade "offers" to C+ from main always cost way more than just buying C+, so the companion ticket isn't worth it. The only upshot would be if Silvers actually get C+ upgrades. So, in the new status economy have Silvers been finding it is pretty sure to get upgraded to C+ or no?
IIRC 4/10 of the legs I booked in Feb and March had no C+ available at the time of booking, typically 2-4 weeks in advance. On all but 1 of those flight I got upgraded as Diamond to C+ prior to check-in, but only rarely before the 120-hr window. On only 2 of those legs did I eventually get UG to FC. On an ATL-RDU 3/22 I only got upgraded to C+ at the gate, and I was 2 of ?? for 2 available C+ seats

I would infer that C+ would NOT be something to expect as an upgrade within the Silver upgade window for C+ on many flights. It obviously will depend on how many rows of C+ and day/route details.
flyerfirsts likes this.
Old Mar 29, 2024, 9:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by GatorBlues
Has Delta announced when and how you must elect whether to convert your rollover MQMs to skymiles or extended status?
Conversion link has been up for several weeks now on website -- https://www.delta.com/myskymiles/convertmqms
If you don't make a selection by 12/31/24, they will autoconvert to MQDs.
Status extension only applies to status level earned during 2023. If happen to attain a higher status level during 2024 earnings year, you will not be able to use status extension option to extend it.

happydad100 and GatorBlues like this.
Old Mar 31, 2024, 3:07 pm

Thanks for this reply; it led to additional investigation related to future planning. The only AMEX cards I have currently are both Delta-branded: a personal platinum and a business reserve. I plan on keeping a Delta-branded reserve and applying for either the personal or business non-Delta PLATINUM AMEX. It looks like the sign up offer is usually better for the Business card.

I know based on my spouse's experience that one option is to drop the DL Business Reserve and elevate the DL Personal Platinum to a Reserve card (apparently even if you have both it wasn't an option to simply convert the business card to a personal card.) I haven't had any other AMEX cards since 2016.

Does anyone have knowledge on how having a Delta Business Reserve would impact the odds of success for the Business PLATINUM AMEX? Would I be better to convert my single DL AMEX to a personal Reserve before applying?
Old Mar 31, 2024, 9:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by gm1955

Does anyone have knowledge on how having a Delta Business Reserve would impact the odds of success for the Business PLATINUM AMEX? Would I be better to convert my single DL AMEX to a personal Reserve before applying?
I have a personal Reserve an attempted to apply for for a personal Platinum. They rejected signup promo mileage bonus due to holding the personal Reserve, but was given the option to apply for the card without the bonus. Was mostly interested in Headstart Bonus, to save about 60K MQMs from rollover conversion to MQD for DM (to use for conversion to 30K RDM). But doesn't seem to make much sense to spend $350 to save 30K RDM. Will keep Reserve for time being mostly for lounge access, companion cert, and 15% awards discount.

Last edited by xliioper; Mar 31, 2024 at 9:08 pm
Old Apr 1, 2024, 7:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by gm1955
There is a little bit of uncertainly here - your application for the Platinum Card (not Delta) should not be affected by your Delta card accounts, unless you are generically in Amex popup jail.

Applications for a Delta Platinum Card may be impacted by other Delta card accounts.
Old Apr 1, 2024, 11:23 am

Programs: DL Gold, HHDiamond, IHG Plat Regular Joe Everywhere Else
I applied for the Delta Platinum in October of 2022 and applied for the Delta Reserve in Jan of 2023 and got both welcome bonuses without any issues. These were personal cards though and not business.

Last edited by Dracarys; Apr 1, 2024 at 11:46 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.