Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Can no longer use SkyMiles number at kiosk?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 1, 2023, 7:07 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta Diamond, Delta 1MM, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz President's Circle

Has anybody seen this? Went to grab a paper boarding pass from SJC kiosk because my phone was dying, and it specifically now says SkyMiles numbers will no longer be accepted. Anybody else seen that? Don’t really understand the reason.
Old Aug 1, 2023, 7:41 pm

Programs: Delta DM, MM
Same thing at MSP today
Old Aug 1, 2023, 7:43 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, UA Premier Gold
Alaska recently got rid of kiosks completely.
Old Aug 1, 2023, 9:05 pm

Programs: DL DM/2MM
Bummer. Knowing my Skymiles number by heart really saves hassle at the kiosk. Why change it?
Old Aug 1, 2023, 9:17 pm

Programs: Delta Death March, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Plat, Marriott/Hilton Gold Life
I just used mine at IAD/Dulles two weeks ago.
Old Aug 1, 2023, 9:55 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta Diamond, Delta 1MM, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz President's Circle
Originally Posted by safigan
Bummer. Knowing my Skymiles number by heart really saves hassle at the kiosk. Why change it?
yea, exactly! I usually just type it in quickly- have it memorized like my telephone number. Today I was fumbling around looking for my confirmation number. Agent even asked if it was my first time flying…
Old Aug 2, 2023, 4:50 am

Programs: DL Diamond 2MM, AA ExPlt
Wow... same thing I experienced yesterday at MSP. And I cannot find the record locator in the app (once I have checked in).
jj243 likes this.
Old Aug 2, 2023, 7:35 am

Programs: DL PM
this is unfortunate -- worked as recently as this past sunday at FLL
lindros2 likes this.
Old Aug 2, 2023, 7:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Back in Reds Country (DAY/CVG). Previously: SEA & SAT.
Programs: DL PM 1MM, AA PLAT, UA Silver, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium
I hope this isn't something permanent. If so, this seems really dumb to remove this as an option of looking up. Like others I also have my Skymiles # memorized and easily and quickly type it in. I have to wonder what DL's reasoning is here if this is indeed permanent.
hockeystl, indufan, ryw and 1 others like this.
Old Aug 2, 2023, 8:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Thats very disappointing... I've always used my skymiles number when using the kiosk, unless I have to scan my passport. Must be a new change starting Aug
pofriri, CPMaverick and lindros2 like this.
Old Aug 2, 2023, 8:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

If I run into this issue for my upcoming flight in a couple weeks, I'll be sure to write in via the "Comment/Complaint" after the trip. I realize in the grand scheme of things not a major issue but feedback that this change stinks is the only way DL may be influenced to reverse the change if it is indeed a new change.
Old Aug 2, 2023, 9:39 am

Programs: Delta Death March, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Plat, Marriott/Hilton Gold Life
Originally Posted by rylan
Thats very disappointing... I've always used my skymiles number when using the kiosk, unless I have to scan my passport. Must be a new change starting Aug
In IAD there was no way to scan my passport.
Either broken or I couldn’t find it.
Old Aug 2, 2023, 9:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
Originally Posted by jj243
yea, exactly! I usually just type it in quickly- have it memorized like my telephone number. Today I was fumbling around looking for my confirmation number. Agent even asked if it was my first time flying…
Embrace and steer toward. Most people are actually more helpful when you don't know what you are doing (whether inadvertent or for real). I am sure once the agent typed in the confirmation number, he/she realized something different
Old Aug 2, 2023, 10:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I wonder if this is a subtle cost savings thing. Many of us opt to print a paper boarding pass out of preference or convenience but not necessarily necessity and DL is trying to drive down printing costs by making it a little more inconvenient to get a paper boarding pass to where these flyers will just forgo the boarding pass. The move would also possibly lead to being able to reduce lines at the kiosk and/or reduce the required number of kiosks at an airport.
dtwtransport likes this.
Old Aug 2, 2023, 10:42 am

Programs: AA ExPl, DL PM, UA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium, probably some others
Originally Posted by ATOBTTR
I wonder if this is a subtle cost savings thing. Many of us opt to print a paper boarding pass out of preference or convenience but not necessarily necessity and DL is trying to drive down printing costs by making it a little more inconvenient to get a paper boarding pass to where these flyers will just forgo the boarding pass. The move would also possibly lead to being able to reduce lines at the kiosk and/or reduce the required number of kiosks at an airport.
Imagine DL would just go whole hog and remove the kiosks like Alaska if they were going to make that sort of shift.
CPMaverick, ExArkie and BSAChris like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.