Community
Wiki Posts
Search

C+ pax and the F lav (domestic)

Search this Thread

Old Jun 22, 2023, 9:14 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM+(segs)/MM, UA Ag, Hilton DM, Marriott Ti (life Pt), TSA Opt-out Platinum
C+ pax and the F lav (domestic)

Currently, I’m seated in Comfort Plus on an Airbus. I got up to use the head and headed to the back. A nice FA stopped me and told me, “you know: C+ pax can use the F lav”. I responded with: “Oh?, well I saw the curtain was closed so I just assumed..”. He said: “on domestic flights it’s fine for C+ to use the F lav, just not on international flights”.

I’ve never heard this before. Is this an official policy? I’m good with whatever, but this was news to me.
Old Jun 22, 2023, 9:17 am

Programs: I've gone underground!
Yes, you can use whatever bathroom is most convenient on domestic DL flights.
HDQDD and Synapseturquoise like this.
Old Jun 22, 2023, 9:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
have the FAs quit making the "Please use the lav in the cabin in which you are seated" announcement as part of the preflight spiel?

regardless, it sure sounds like we're in the "Policy isn't what's written or announced; policy is what's practiced" zone again
Old Jun 22, 2023, 9:38 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM+(segs)/MM, UA Ag, Hilton DM, Marriott Ti (life Pt), TSA Opt-out Platinum
Originally Posted by jrl767
have the FAs quit making the "Please use the lav in the cabin in which you are seated" announcement as part of the preflight spiel?

regardless, it sure sounds like we're in the "Policy isn't what's written or announced; policy is what's practiced" zone again
No, I still hear that announcement quite often on domestic flights. And it’s usually “use the lavs in your assigned cabin” or some such.
Old Jun 22, 2023, 10:54 am

Programs: DL PM, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hertz Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by jrl767

Thats only on INTL or widebody flights. Domestic can typically use any lav, although on some 757s I’ve seen FAs reserve the front lav for FC and crew as there’s a Lav right next to 2L for Y and C+.
emma dog likes this.
Old Jun 22, 2023, 11:00 am

Programs: DL Gold, HHDiamond, IHG Plat Regular Joe Everywhere Else
Just flew in C+ from LAX to MSP. My daughter (age 15) used the bathroom in F with no issues at all.
Old Jun 22, 2023, 12:27 pm

Programs: Mucci de Guardian des Celliers des Grands Crus 1e Classé, plus BAEC.
Thank goodness I wasn’t on this flight in F. I’d have been choking into my G&T seeing non-F pax using the forward lavatory 😁😁

(tongue partially in-cheek for the avoidance of doubt &#128513
indufan, benmo13, _fx and 5 others like this.
Old Jun 22, 2023, 12:39 pm

Programs: Marriot TE, Delta DM, UA Gold, Hilton Diamond
Never had any issue using any Lav on a Domestic flight. Policy and practice for myself and most others is "look which is occupied". I have been flying regularly since I was a teen and never had an issue on domestic lol.
Old Jun 22, 2023, 1:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Well, for international flights (and I think technically it's just flights INTO the U.S.), it's an FAA requirement that passengers stay in their ticketed cabin. Of course that doesn't really prevent J pax from wandering through Y in practice, but I don't think the spirit of that rule was really aimed at that (it was keeping pax away from the cockpit).

Domestically as there's no federal rule, it's really just a customer service issue. Yes, ideally Y pax should use the Y lavs and F use F, but on a single-aisle aircraft with no mid-cabin lavs that becomes very difficult to enforce when there are carts in the aisle. So what's the point of having a policy that's often difficult to reasonably enforce? Thus, no policy.

FWIW, on my last inbound DL int'l flight, one of the two lavs in the front of business class was inoperable, so there was no way I was waiting behind even one person in line, so I went back through Y and used the Y lavs at least once. Too bad.
Keystone likes this.
Old Jun 22, 2023, 1:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM & 2MM™, Lifetime HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by ijgordon
Well, for international flights (and I think technically it's just flights INTO the U.S.), it's an FAA requirement that passengers stay in their ticketed cabin.
What's the technical part? Let's see the F.A.R.
Old Jun 22, 2023, 1:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Back in Reds Country (DAY/CVG). Previously: SEA & SAT.
Programs: DL PM 1MM, AA PLAT, UA Silver, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium
The rules or at least the way it should be:
When I’m in Y or C+, I should be allowed to use any lav on the plane, even the one in F.
When I’m in F, the peasants in Y need to stick to using the lav in their cabin so I don’t have to wait behind them.

Old Jun 22, 2023, 1:47 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum, American Gold, JetBlue Mosaic 4, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond,
For the most part, when sitting in C+, I am using the front lavatory. I have walked all the way back when the front was occupied, and there was a clear path to the back. But practicality demands that the front 1/3 of the plane (which basically includes F and C+) use the front lav.
Old Jun 22, 2023, 1:56 pm

Programs: Delta PlM, 1M
On planes with no lavs in C+ then clearly the pax can use another cabin.

There has never been any rule saying "if your cabin does not have a lav you must go to the back".
Old Jun 22, 2023, 2:00 pm

When lavatories get really busy, I think people should be able to use whichever is free. Sometimes, nature calls and you gotta go. 🤣
Keystone likes this.
Old Jun 22, 2023, 3:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by indufan
What's the technical part? Let's see the F.A.R.
Ok, I guess maybe outdated, not from FAA and maybe not even real, but not pulled out of my rear.
Actual FAR to remain in ticketed cabin?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.