Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New Daytime Flight to CDG

Search this Thread

Old Jun 20, 2023, 2:40 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Newly minted free agent; MR LT(!)TE, HH SE, BA SECM, DL MM, UA PS, 2V Fanboi, CBP GE
New Daytime Flight to CDG

As various blogs (including OMAAT, where I saw it posted first) are reporting, DL appears to be adding a new daytime flight from JFK to CDG starting next spring. I'm curious what the forum's thoughts are on this.

As much as I am a huge fan of the LHR daytime flights, I'm skeptical of this one for a few reasons...
  1. The 10pm arrival is very late, unless you're staying at the airport it's at least 11pm before you get to your destination in Paris.
  2. There will be a small number of useful regional connections possible on the JFK side (nobody is going to fly LAX-JFK-CDG when they could just go LAX-CDG on a longer redeye), and almost no useful connections on the CDG side (except maybe a few late long haul flights). But NYC-PAR doesn't seem to have the same level of O&D as NYC-LON (which otherwise has the same problem). OTOH, this is just one flight a day with 238 seats to server the entire market, whereas LON has four daytime JFK departures (AA, BA, B6, and VS) and two EWR departures (BA, UA).
  3. Apparently it has been tried various times in the past (including by TWA) but never stuck. In contrast, I can't remember a time when there hasn't been at least one NYC-LON option. (Indeed, DL had scheduled a later daytime flight to follow VS26 but pulled it when the pandemic hit.)
That's not to say I wouldn't use it myself if it made sense, probably NYC-CDG/overnight/CDG-XXX, but I'm not sure what would convince me to book it over a London routing given the longer flight time and the need to clear exit immigration on a landside overnight in Paris.
bosman likes this.
Old Jun 20, 2023, 3:11 pm

Programs: DL DM MM, BIS 2.4MM, EK Gold, SQ Gold, Marriott Gold, HH Gold,
I agree with your points. I can tell you if they use a 767 on this, there is no way in HELL ill go near it with a ten foot pole. The other thing is with the ease of Eurostar, the London directs really allow the better option anyway. Can easily take an earlier night in London, and take a morning Eurostar from LON over to Paris and be there in time for a meeting the next morning anyway. Probably more rested than arriving on at 10pm to CDG.

This also assumes no delays. An hour delay and boom its after midnight before you get into central Paris.
becks1 likes this.
Old Jun 20, 2023, 5:35 pm

Originally Posted by bennos
As various blogs (including OMAAT, where I saw it posted first) are reporting, DL appears to be adding a new daytime flight from JFK to CDG starting next spring. I'm curious what the forum's thoughts are on this.

As much as I am a huge fan of the LHR daytime flights, I'm skeptical of this one for a few reasons...
  1. The 10pm arrival is very late, unless you're staying at the airport it's at least 11pm before you get to your destination in Paris.
  2. There will be a small number of useful regional connections possible on the JFK side (nobody is going to fly LAX-JFK-CDG when they could just go LAX-CDG on a longer redeye), and almost no useful connections on the CDG side (except maybe a few late long haul flights). But NYC-PAR doesn't seem to have the same level of O&D as NYC-LON (which otherwise has the same problem). OTOH, this is just one flight a day with 238 seats to server the entire market, whereas LON has four daytime JFK departures (AA, BA, B6, and VS) and two EWR departures (BA, UA).
  3. Apparently it has been tried various times in the past (including by TWA) but never stuck. In contrast, I can't remember a time when there hasn't been at least one NYC-LON option. (Indeed, DL had scheduled a later daytime flight to follow VS26 but pulled it when the pandemic hit.)
That's not to say I wouldn't use it myself if it made sense, probably NYC-CDG/overnight/CDG-XXX, but I'm not sure what would convince me to book it over a London routing given the longer flight time and the need to clear exit immigration on a landside overnight in Paris.
There has also been a daytime AC flight from YYZ>LHR which I took monthly for several years in the 90s. I was able to work productively on the plane all day then take the express train from LHR to my hotel near Paddington. I loved it as I fell asleep by 1-2am and got up at 9-10am with no jet lag. The only downside was no connections (my final destination was London) and very few dinner choices. But LHR immigration took 2 seconds and my hotel was always ready with no wait upon arrival.

Similarly a day flight to Paris would allow one to fall asleep by 2-3am and wake up around 10am with no jet lag. For someone who can’t sleep on planes and who prefers to work this is a home run.

Last edited by sydneyracquelle; Jun 20, 2023 at 5:44 pm
Old Jun 20, 2023, 5:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL, OZ, AC, AS, AA, BA, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott, IHG
Originally Posted by bennos

What's the lineup to clear customs at that time of the day? Also, the train to the city will probably end by the time you clear customs and get to the station.

Originally Posted by DLATL777
I agree with your points. I can tell you if they use a 767 on this, there is no way in HELL ill go near it with a ten foot pole. The other thing is with the ease of Eurostar, the London directs really allow the better option anyway. Can easily take an earlier night in London, and take a morning Eurostar from LON over to Paris and be there in time for a meeting the next morning anyway. Probably more rested than arriving on at 10pm to CDG.

This also assumes no delays. An hour delay and boom its after midnight before you get into central Paris.
What's wrong with the 767?

​​​​​​​I'm not sure if I really understand you, but are you saying take the overnight flight to LHR and then the Eurostar to Paris in the morning? It's not a bad idea, but the Eurostar is really expensive as you get closer to departure. The lowest rate is only available booked way in advance.
Old Jun 20, 2023, 6:04 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by lsquare
What's the lineup to clear customs at that time of the day? Also, the train to the city will probably end by the time you clear customs and get to the station.
Customs at CDG has rarely meant any slowdown for me when coming in from the US. Passport control is where I would have my concerns focused for slowdowns.

The RER train into the city from the airport runs until just short of midnight on the weekends? Weekdays I thought it cut out like ten minutes to eleven. Fixed price taxis into the city are not horribly priced, and the cost to get between the airport and Trocadero using Bolt cars seemed like good value compared to what I pay for taxis and Ubers elsewhere and around CDG/Paris.

I am curious to know if it will be possible to take the 6am DCA-JFK flight and make this JFK-CDG flight.
boss315 and lsquare like this.
Old Jun 20, 2023, 6:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by GUWonder
The RER train into the city from the airport runs until just short of midnight on the weekends? Weekdays I thought it cut out like ten minutes to eleven. Fixed price taxis into the city are not horribly priced, and the cost to get between the airport and Trocadero using Bolt cars seemed like good value compared to what I pay for taxis and Ubers elsewhere.
Last summer, I manage to get on the last RER before midnight. I can't remember the exact time. They have staff at the station letting everyone know it's the last train.

For me, this flight is only going to work if I can get on the RER to the city. Although the Metro will likely be closed by then. Although spending the night at an airport hotel isn't exactly a bad idea.
Old Jun 20, 2023, 6:12 pm
Suspended

If choosing a CDG area hotel for the first night, pick carefully. Too many of the “CDG” hotels only have a paid hotel shuttle, and often that too with very limited hours.

Originally Posted by lsquare
Last summer, I manage to get on the last RER before midnight. I can't remember the exact time. They have staff at the station letting everyone know it's the last train.

For me, this flight is only going to work if I can get on the RER to the city. Although the Metro will likely be closed by then.
I am usually one to default to taking public transport as much as I can when going to and from airports, but sometimes the best thing at some hours is to use the cars/drivers available for hire that head into town. For 2-4 travelers, it’s not like RER is that cheap anyway from CDG into the city.
chica likes this.
Old Jun 20, 2023, 6:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I am usually one to default to taking public transport as much as I can when going to and from airports, but sometimes the best thing at some hours is to use the cars/drivers available for hire that head into town. For 2-4 travelers, it’s not like RER is that cheap anyway from CDG into the city.
Yea, I'm aware of that. IIRC, the Sheraton is in the airport. I remember walking past it as I entered the station to take the RER. It's a lot more expensive than the other CDG hotels.

I usually lump customs and passport control together. Although my time would have been better last summer because I flew into CDG from AMS.

I usually travel by myself and I don't mind walking or taking transit. I rarely take a taxi even in developing countries like Malaysia.
Old Jun 20, 2023, 6:23 pm

Programs: All of them!
EF schedule says JFK/CDG would use 764 and would operate daily. (8:30am/10:00PM).
Old Jun 20, 2023, 6:29 pm
Suspended

The Sheraton is at the airport indeed, with no need to get exposed to any outdoor weather elements. When I am not using the Sheraton CDG I’ve usually used the Hilton CDG on the cheap when needing to stay at the airport; the latter involves outside weather exposure. [I ran up a full load of nights at the HP/HH CDG this month and last month, but Hyatt is not convenient for these night arrivals at CDG.]
Old Jun 20, 2023, 6:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The Sheraton is at the airport indeed, with no need to get exposed to any outdoor weather elements. When I am not using the Sheraton CDG I’ve usually used the Hilton CDG on the cheap when needing to stay at the airport; the latter involves outside weather exposure. [I ran up a full load of nights at the HP/HH CDG this month and last month, but Hyatt is not convenient for these night arrivals at CDG.]
​​I think the Hyatt uses a paid shuttle?

Besides Hilton and Sheraton CDG, which other hotel is walkable from the airport? I think I would just spend the night at the airport if I can't take the RER.
Old Jun 20, 2023, 6:32 pm
Suspended

Hyatt uses a paid shuttle with very, very limited hours — hours useless for those intending to take this daytime JFK-CDG flight.

There is also Ibis and Novotel close to the Hilton.

Originally Posted by cs57
EF schedule says JFK/CDG would use 764 and would operate daily. (8:30am/10:00PM).
Would DL’s 6am from DCA meet the MCT for doing DCA-JFK-CDG with this flight? [It’s only sort of fun to try to work around the MCT using separately-booked tickets — something I’ve found myself doing more and more often over the years.]
lsquare likes this.

Last edited by GUWonder; Jun 20, 2023 at 6:37 pm
Old Jun 20, 2023, 8:56 pm
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA PPro/DL PLT, PPass, Marriott / Hilton Gold, JetBlue Mosaic, Hertz Presidents Circle, Amex Plat
Passport control should be empty at 10:00 PM, however, baggage delivery at 2E takes long no matter the arrival time. Last RER B departs at 11:50 PM so there should be plenty of time unless the flight is delayed.

I know this varies from company to company, but how do business travel policies normally apply for daytime Europe bound flights?

Hyatt uses a paid shuttle with very, very limited hours — hours useless for those intending to take this daytime JFK-CDG flight.

There is also Ibis and Novotel close to the Hilton.

Would DL’s 6am from DCA meet the MCT for doing DCA-JFK-CDG with this flight? [It’s only sort of fun to try to work around the MCT using separately-booked tickets — something I’ve found myself doing more and more often over the years.]
I'm a regular DCA-JFK 6:00 am flyer, connecting to SDQ at 8:40/8:50, CDG should be within MCT as well.
boss315 likes this.
Old Jun 20, 2023, 9:36 pm
Original Member

Programs: DL 3 MM/DM, Marriott Titanium Elite, Hyatt Globalist, National Exec Elite
I am enthusiastically in support of this flight. I absolutely hate redeyes. I love the VS daytime flight out of JFK. Am taking it in early August as a matter of fact.

Those bemoaning a 10 p.m. arrival in Europe fail to appreciate that your body clock will be 6 hours earlier. The sun the next morning helps reset things when you actually wake up and open the curtain of the hotel window, instead of attacking your brain when you stumble off a plane after a redeye with four hours of sleep (from JFK to Europe).
Old Jun 20, 2023, 10:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by SDQBound
Passport control should be empty at 10:00 PM, however, baggage delivery at 2E takes long no matter the arrival time. Last RER B departs at 11:50 PM so there should be plenty of time unless the flight is delayed.

I know this varies from company to company, but how do business travel policies normally apply for daytime Europe bound flights?

I'm a regular DCA-JFK 6:00 am flyer, connecting to SDQ at 8:40/8:50, CDG should be within MCT as well.
Is it 23:50 seven days a week?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.