Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Delta mistakenly gave me an open eCredit

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Delta mistakenly gave me an open eCredit

Search this Thread

Old Jun 13, 2023, 9:37 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL Diamond
Smile Delta mistakenly gave me an open eCredit

Delta seems to have given me an eCredit which allows for international round trip for $0.00. I've priced out round-trip full fare international first from LAX-EZE and LAX-SYD, and once I apply the eCredit the $25,000 price goes to $0.00. I'm pretty pumped... and yet, not sure where to go!

I would a) love suggestions and b) would love to hear if this has happened to anyone else and if so - will Delta honor it when it comes time to fly?
Spiff, catmndu and SkyLich like this.
Old Jun 13, 2023, 10:01 am

My suggestion: shut up, book a trip and enjoy!
Old Jun 13, 2023, 10:02 am

Tell no one and travel as soon as you can.
Old Jun 13, 2023, 10:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
I can’t wait to see how this ends.
Spiff, hotturnip, cbd_sea and 17 others like this.
Old Jun 13, 2023, 10:18 am

Programs: DL DM, Marriott Plat
You can try booking something and seeing if it actually tickets - if it works, don't say a word to anyone and enjoy the trip. If it doesn't work, well, I doubt DL is going to try and fix that for you.
Spiff, cbd_sea, DiverDave and 7 others like this.
Old Jun 13, 2023, 10:27 am

Programs: US CP, SPG Gold
You're leaving tomorrow, right?
Old Jun 13, 2023, 10:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
I would be picking my destination and making plans for a long weekend right now. SYD, HND, AKL, LHR -- take your pick and get going
Spiff, kthomas, DLASflyer and 4 others like this.
Old Jun 13, 2023, 11:52 am

I guess I am the outlier here. I would never spend money that I wasn't entitled to. My dad used to say that "integrity is how you behave when nobody is looking". For me, the appeal of getting away with something is far outweighed by the knowledge that I did something that I knew was wrong and that I failed to be the kind of person that my dog believes me to be.
Old Jun 13, 2023, 12:15 pm

Originally Posted by Qwkynuf
I guess I am the outlier here. I would never spend money that I wasn't entitled to. My dad used to say that "integrity is how you behave when nobody is looking". For me, the appeal of getting away with something is far outweighed by the knowledge that I did something that I knew was wrong and that I failed to be the kind of person that my dog believes me to be.
OP is apparently entitled to some sort of credit, just not the all-encompassing one he received.

I suggest a middle ground. Wait a decent interval to see whether Delta corrects the credit. If not, OP is entitled to use it as he should not feel any obligation to descend into telephone hell to fix someone else's mistake.
Old Jun 13, 2023, 12:17 pm

Programs: It's Complicated...
Originally Posted by Qwkynuf
While the OP seems surprised at this turn of events. I am not sure I have seen enough info posted to make me confident that it was an error on DL's part.

With regard to the OP's post.....be careful on asking people on this board to tell you where to go. That typically doesn't end well. They will oblige though. haha

Edited to add: I just noticed the title does refer to a mistake on DL's part. Sorry I missed that.
kthomas likes this.

Last edited by mcgahat; Jun 13, 2023 at 12:35 pm Reason: Just noticed the title
Old Jun 13, 2023, 12:19 pm

Programs: UA PP (2MM), BA gold
Just in case you only make it there and not back, pick a place you do not mind getting stuck.
Old Jun 13, 2023, 12:20 pm

Originally Posted by malbik
OP is apparently entitled to some sort of credit, just not the all-encompassing one he received.

I suggest a middle ground. Wait a decent interval to see whether Delta corrects the credit. If not, OP is entitled to use it as he should not feel any obligation to descend into telephone hell to fix someone else's mistake.
OP also seems to be pricing out $25k flights. I wouldn't have a problem (my internal problem) with using this error credit to get the credit I am entitled to, but there is no way I'd consider buying D1 to JNB just because the system erroneously lets me do that, when my credit was supposed to be for a canceled BOI-SEA flight or something.
ATOBTTR likes this.
Old Jun 13, 2023, 1:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
I've gotten $3k ecredits accidentally a couple times. However never an unlimited "Amex" basically.

In my case issue arise when buying a ticket from AF/KL and using PayPal for payment. Then DL takes over ticket at some point and reissues on 006 stock. If I then cancel and request refund (refundable fare or still in 24hr window) AF/KL process a refund to PayPal. However the DL system doesn't understand a PayPal refund done by another carrier. Thus DL system eventually shows an ecredit for the price of ticket.

I called in and talked with ticketing support even. They appreciated my honesty, but there was nothing they could do. The DL system couldn't see a refund, so accounting wise it had to remain as an unused eticket available to me. The agent even went ahead and booked new ticket for me. In all I've had 3 tickets this happened with, coming out to tune of $9k approximately.

Last edited by flyerCO; Jun 13, 2023 at 1:30 pm
Old Jun 13, 2023, 1:16 pm

Programs: BA Gold, UA Plat (1mm),Marriott LT Plat, Avis PC, National Exec Elite, Hertz PC
Can you describe exactly how to do this?
Old Jun 13, 2023, 1:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by rjburns
Can you describe exactly how to do this?
No. Im not out to purposefully scam the airline. (There's a few other things i left out - type of payment method used via PP, etc) I only used after letting them try and fix it and them saying they can't do anything about it.

Last edited by flyerCO; Jun 13, 2023 at 9:02 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.