Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Baggage Advice requested - arrived 21May

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Baggage Advice requested - arrived 21May

Search this Thread

Old May 23, 2023, 10:29 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM+(segs)/MM, UA Ag, Hilton DM, Marriott Ti (life Pt), TSA Opt-out Platinum
Baggage Advice requested - bag stuck at CDG

I’m hoping someone here can help or knows someone that can. I’ll try to keep this short but it’s a long story. Thankfully I have an AirTag in my bag, so when they say they don’t know what’s going on, I tell them.

20May I flew RDU-JFK-ARN all on DL metal. Flights were on time and I had a 3 hour connection in JFK. An hour into JFK-ARN I get an email saying that my bag was rerouted JFK-CDG-ARN (last flight obv on AF). My bag has been sitting at CDG since Sunday morning (Central Europe time). Most of the time it’s sitting in a Terminal 2E make up area. A few times I’ve seen it go out to the gate, only to end up back in the make up area. I’ve talked to the DM bagdesk a half dozen times. One out of 6 agents was actually useful and she told me she can see from the history that it was loaded and then unloaded from an AF ARN flight. She told me it was for security reasons…. I suspect my bag is not properly setup for forwarding and when AF scans it, it is getting rejected because it’s unknown and they cannot confirm I’m onboard.

I’ve tried explaining this to the bag desk and they just tell me it’s setup for xxx flight. Right after xxx flight leaves I see that it’s still in CDG and call them again. I’m getting no where with DL and this really isn’t that difficult. Someone needs to properly expedite the bag and tender it to AF. Does anyone have any advice on how I can escalate this? It’s pretty much ruined my whole trip. I’ve asked to talk to someone at CDG but they won’t let me.

Note: I’ve been a BSO myself. I’ve rerouted bags and I think it was a terrible idea for DL to reroute it offline through another country. That’s just asking for trouble. I would have been much better off has they just put it on the next days JFK-ARN flight…

Any help would be appreciated. Really disappointed in DLs lack of urgency here. My bag is tired of hanging out with Tom Hanks at CDG.

#frustrated

Last edited by HDQDD; May 23, 2023 at 10:42 am
Old May 23, 2023, 12:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by HDQDD
I’ve rerouted bags and I think it was a terrible idea for DL to reroute it offline through another country. That’s just asking for trouble. I would have been much better off has they just put it on the next days JFK-ARN flight…
Have you considered getting it back online CDG-JFK-ARN? Probably not the most practical solution here, but..
CPMaverick likes this.
Old May 23, 2023, 12:55 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM+(segs)/MM, UA Ag, Hilton DM, Marriott Ti (life Pt), TSA Opt-out Platinum
Originally Posted by findark;[url=tel:35272934
35272934[/url]]Have you considered getting it back online CDG-JFK-ARN? Probably not the most practical solution here, but..
I actually requested Delta send someone to get my bag and send it UPS next day air. Because it’s clearly stuck in a loop on AF. Gets setup for a flight, gets rejected and ends up back in one of two make up areas, then this repeats every few hours.
Old May 23, 2023, 2:13 pm

Do you have the current AF or DL bag tag number? You can use the DL bag tracker (https://www.delta.com/us/en/baggage/...hecked-baggage or on the app) to track bags even when loaded on AF flights. You'll at least be able to see "Checked in for AFxxx" and hopefully "Loaded on AFxxxx" and have a better sense. I get that it never seems to get loaded onto the proper AF flight for security reasons (no confirmed passenger on the flight or whatever), but at least it's another self-service data point besides the AirTag.
Old May 23, 2023, 7:43 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Explorist, Marriott Gold
Worth a try?

I speak French and will be landing Thursday early morning 5/25 at CDG. If you still need help, I could try to find someone at Air France at CDG. DM me if you think it’s worth a try.
awayIgo, HDQDD and ZenFlyer like this.
Old May 24, 2023, 1:57 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by zip10001
I speak French and will be landing Thursday early morning 5/25 at CDG. If you still need help, I could try to find someone at Air France at CDG. DM me if you think it’s worth a try.
Thank you for that. I have a colleague with me from Paris who is helping to translate and we're figuring out next steps. My AirTag is now showing in a building on the NE corner of the airport called Le Kube, which a quick google search shows is a lost baggage facility. So I fear that after 3 days floating around CDG, the tag has come off, and they've sent it to a long term lost bag facility. So as soon as DL's DM line opens this morning I plan to let them have it. I'm really disappointed at how little DL seems to care. The only thing they do is "send an email to AF".
Old May 24, 2023, 1:58 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by findark
Have you considered getting it back online CDG-JFK-ARN? Probably not the most practical solution here, but..
Well, I leave in about 36 hours, so I'd be fine if they just put it on CDG-RDU at this point.
findark and Goodoldflyer like this.
Old May 24, 2023, 2:34 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by flyerwma
Do you have the current AF or DL bag tag number? You can use the DL bag tracker (https://www.delta.com/us/en/baggage/...hecked-baggage or on the app) to track bags even when loaded on AF flights. You'll at least be able to see "Checked in for AFxxx" and hopefully "Loaded on AFxxxx" and have a better sense. I get that it never seems to get loaded onto the proper AF flight for security reasons (no confirmed passenger on the flight or whatever), but at least it's another self-service data point besides the AirTag.
DL's website shows no activity since the tracer (lost bag report was open). It did show a reroute for Sunday mornings CDG-ARN flight...but nothing after that. Apparently some of the DM Bag desk peeps can see more info than DL's public site shows because they've told me about other flights it's setup for. The Worldtracer website tells me that "Your airline is not supporting this service"...that's nice.

Last edited by HDQDD; May 24, 2023 at 2:52 am
Old May 24, 2023, 2:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
There has to be something weird going on. Bags are rerouted onto AF/KL all the time without issue. Routing via CDG/AMS is a regular occurrence for DL due to relationship with AF/KL.

When you oull up bag tag in DL app does it show Bag Expediated? Or does it just show bag rerouted? It should say bag Expediated.

I would simply tell DL to update file to have bag sent home at this point. (Sounds like even if made it to ARN, it would be too late)

If flying via CDG on way back, you could even ask at AF lounge or help desk for assistance. AF handles DL at CDG.
Old May 24, 2023, 8:20 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by flyerCO
There has to be something weird going on. Bags are rerouted onto AF/KL all the time without issue. Routing via CDG/AMS is a regular occurrence for DL due to relationship with AF/KL.

When you oull up bag tag in DL app does it show Bag Expediated? Or does it just show bag rerouted? It should say bag Expediated.

I would simply tell DL to update file to have bag sent home at this point. (Sounds like even if made it to ARN, it would be too late)

If flying via CDG on way back, you could even ask at AF lounge or help desk for assistance. AF handles DL at CDG.
I'll be the first to admit it's weird. Interestingly, it says both. Expedited and then rerouted... I suspect the issue is all related to DL not properly setting it up for expedite to ARN.
I'm seriously considering having DL re-route me with an overnight stop in CDG so I can get this sorted. According to reddit, that might be the only way once it goes to that lost bag joint...

• Mishandled File CreatedMay 21, 2023 08:17:00 AM
  • Bag On Plane DL 262 JFK-CDG May 20May 20, 2023 07:18:00 PM
  • Loading bag for DL 262 JFK-CDG May 20May 20, 2023 07:13:00 PM
  • Bag Rebooked with Rush Priority for
    DL 262 JFK-CDG May 20
    AF 1262 CDG-ARN May 21May 20, 2023 06:11:00 PM
  • Bag Expedited on
    DL 262 JFK-CDG May 20
    AF 1262 CDG-ARN May 21May 20, 2023 05:54:00 PM
  • Bag Off Plane DL 4993 RDU-JFK May 20May 20, 2023 02:55:00 PM
  • Bag On Plane DL 4993 RDU-JFK May 20May 20, 2023 12:29:00 PM
  • Bag Checked-In for
    DL 4993 RDU-JFK May 20
    DL 204 JFK-ARN May 20May 20, 2023 11:46:00 AM
Old May 24, 2023, 8:28 am

Programs: Delta PM
I'll be the first to admit it's weird. Interestingly, it says both. Expedited and then rerouted... I suspect the issue is all related to DL not properly setting it up for expedite to ARN.
I'm seriously considering having DL re-route me with an overnight stop in CDG so I can get this sorted. According to reddit, that might be the only way once it goes to that lost bag joint...
Ouch. Sorry that you're having to deal with this.
Old May 24, 2023, 8:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Who ever rebooked it with the RUSH priority I think is who messed it up. The bag had been correctly marked expedite (which is how it should be) and then was retagged as rush. From what i understand it needs to be marked expedite in order to be loaded by another carrier as mishandled baggage.

Someone needs to get ahold of someone at CDG to fix this. I would definitely see IF DL will reroute you if they won't call CDG.
Old May 24, 2023, 9:45 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by flyerCO
Who ever rebooked it with the RUSH priority I think is who messed it up. The bag had been correctly marked expedite (which is how it should be) and then was retagged as rush. From what i understand it needs to be marked expedite in order to be loaded by another carrier as mishandled baggage.

Someone needs to get ahold of someone at CDG to fix this. I would definitely see IF DL will reroute you if they won't call CDG.
I asked DL to let me talk to someone at CDG, they won't let me. So I called AF, who won't help me because it's DL's lost bag report (I can't blame them for not wanting to get involved in DL's mess). Just talked to DL again, AF sent them a message a little while ago that says it's setup for another CDG-ARN flight tonight...this is at least the 4th time this week I've been told that, so confidence is low. At this point I really don't think it's unreasonable for DL to contact the station GM (or their designee) at CDG and have a DL employe put eyes on the bag and make sure it's properly setup for expedite and tendered to AF...the bag desk won't do that either. They actually told me they don't have a way to call anyone at CDG...which is total BS. I don't really understand why DL even has a DM bag desk. They're completely useless.
Old May 24, 2023, 9:58 am

Programs: IHG Spire, National Exec, AA Plat
Perhaps Exec Email Carpet Bomb worthy here, if normal channels are repeatedly failing. It may be the only way to break the useless cycle.
Old May 24, 2023, 11:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

I asked DL to let me talk to someone at CDG, they won't let me. So I called AF, who won't help me because it's DL's lost bag report (I can't blame them for not wanting to get involved in DL's mess). Just talked to DL again, AF sent them a message a little while ago that says it's setup for another CDG-ARN flight tonight...this is at least the 4th time this week I've been told that, so confidence is low. At this point I really don't think it's unreasonable for DL to contact the station GM (or their designee) at CDG and have a DL employe put eyes on the bag and make sure it's properly setup for expedite and tendered to AF...the bag desk won't do that either. They actually told me they don't have a way to call anyone at CDG...which is total BS. I don't really understand why DL even has a DM bag desk. They're completely useless.
DL at CDG is totally handled by AF. If the bag is there, it is in possession of AF. Whomever at JFK switched bag to RUSH from Expedite has caused the AF system not to allow bag to be put onboard. It doesn't have the correct designation to override no passenger match. Only other issue would be if flight is weight restricted, and I doubt it would happen multiple flights in a row. Even if did, AF could forward onto KLM or even on a SAS flight if was properly marked in system.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.