Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Has any one done JFK to PRG in Delta One

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Has any one done JFK to PRG in Delta One

Search this Thread

Old Apr 11, 2023, 11:59 pm

Programs: DL DM PM
If like me you're short and narrow, with small feet, the seats are just fine. IFE screen is tiny. Food is same as on any other bird. No way I would take a connection to avoid.
SuperG1955 likes this.
Old Apr 12, 2023, 6:19 am

Programs: DL DM, 1.5MM, NEXUS, Sky Club Lifetime, Admirals Club Lifetime, LowValueCustomer everywhere
While I've never flown the JFK-PRG route, the majority of my TATL travel is in D1 on 763's a few times a year.

My recommendation, for a variety of reasons, is the nonstop.

All of the following relate to D1.
The food is the same, regardless of aircraft type. In fact, you might get better food on the return from PRG. You get the same amenity kit, pillow and comforter. so remove those as considerations.
Overhead storage on the 763 is great. It's individual for each seat. I put a suitcase and a backpack up there and have easy access during flight without taking up space in the seating area.
Row 1 is the best, particularly the center. Not only are the footwells larger but you have space in front of you to use a a shelf. Between that and the overhead I don't have the pillow and comforter taking up space before I unwrap them to use.

Yes, the IFE is inferior. What's your priority, sleeping or watching the IFE. If it's sleeping, you'll get more uninterrupted sleep on the direct flight. If you're a side sleeper, as I am, the 763 is fine. In reality, when I walk through the cabin to stretch my legs and avoid sitting for the entire flight, most people are sleeping, even on the daytime return trips. If it were so difficult to sleep, that wouldn't be the case. If your physical characteristics ae such that you're too big for the seat, you're probably too big to be comfortable in the D1 seats of any DL aircraft and should try AF La Premiere.
Most everyone travels with an electronic device so use it for your IFE either with preloaded content of the streaming stuff available from the aircraft IFE system.

Travel issues. Nonstop means no worry about connection in EU. Both AMS and CDG can be problematic. That's well documented elsewhere. With the heavy summer loads, alternate connections could be a problem. Not only is there a question of will your luggage connect but will you make your flight connection?

Labor problems both at AMS and CDG. Again, well documented. It's really smart to avoid both this summer. I would and will.

Good luck and enjoy your trip. PRG is a wonderful city.
Keith2004, NotHamSarnie and prgboy like this.
Old Apr 12, 2023, 4:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Zorak
​​​​​​That's not any different in row 1 vs any other row in that cabin though.
No, but the point is that limits the "pro" of row 1, since as I mentioned, the footwell size isn't actually a major problem, IMO.
Old Apr 12, 2023, 4:34 pm
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
Originally Posted by ijgordon
No, but the point is that limits the "pro" of row 1
OP asked if row 1 is better for sleeping; I mentioned ways in which I thought it could be considered better or worse.

The fact that it has a negative which is a common negative to every other seat in the cabin doesn't seem pertinent to me, in that context.

Originally Posted by ijgordon
since as I mentioned, the footwell size isn't actually a major problem, IMO.
For you (and me also) maybe but from comments I've seen in the 767 threads, it matters to others.

As a side sleeper, the shoulder width aspect you mention doesn't bother me at all, so I guess it's not actually a major problem either

I mean, I fully agree with you that the seat feels cramped compared to other aircraft, but unless the OP is interested in rerouting...
hhdl likes this.
Old May 29, 2023, 1:13 pm

I recently flew JFK-VCE in D1 on the 763 (old config). I was given the opportunity to upgrade to D1 at check in for $549. It was quite a disappointment.
-The IFE did not work properly, even after the FAs resetting it a few times.
-The seat was extremely uncomfortable. As others have stated, you would have to sleep like a corpse.
-The seat itself was clearly worn down and old. I flew ORD-CDG in D1 back in 2015 and it was the same seat.
-The food was good, but I had better food on AF.
-The bathrooms throughout the entire plane ran out of water in the middle of the flight, so everyone had to use water bottles/wipes for washing hands/brushing teeth. Gross.

In August, I will be flying JFK-PRG and have a Comfort+ seat given my PM status. I selected 17G (first row). I have an option to upgrade both legs to D1 for only $500 each way, which I think is a bargain, but I don't plan on doing given my experience this month on the 763 JFK-VCE.

I hope this helps a little for those of you out there. I will be flying soon on a new config 763 from JFK-LAX with PE, so I am hoping that will be a better experience.
Old May 29, 2023, 2:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by pofriri
I recently flew JFK-VCE in D1 on the 763 (old config). I was given the opportunity to upgrade to D1 at check in for $549. It was quite a disappointment.
-The IFE did not work properly, even after the FAs resetting it a few times.
-The seat was extremely uncomfortable. As others have stated, you would have to sleep like a corpse.
-The seat itself was clearly worn down and old. I flew ORD-CDG in D1 back in 2015 and it was the same seat.
-The food was good, but I had better food on AF.
-The bathrooms throughout the entire plane ran out of water in the middle of the flight, so everyone had to use water bottles/wipes for washing hands/brushing teeth. Gross.

In August, I will be flying JFK-PRG and have a Comfort+ seat given my PM status. I selected 17G (first row). I have an option to upgrade both legs to D1 for only $500 each way, which I think is a bargain, but I don't plan on doing given my experience this month on the 763 JFK-VCE.

I hope this helps a little for those of you out there. I will be flying soon on a new config 763 from JFK-LAX with PE, so I am hoping that will be a better experience.
Note 763 disnt get new D1 seats, only PE. Only 764 got new D1.

Also DL doesn't fly ORD-CDG. Would've been AF which doesn't have the same seat.
Old May 29, 2023, 3:37 pm

Originally Posted by flyerCO
Note 763 disnt get new D1 seats, only PE. Only 764 got new D1.

Also DL doesn't fly ORD-CDG. Would've been AF which doesn't have the same seat.
I saw a video of the 763 with PS, and the D1 seats on that plane looked much newer than the ones I experienced:

Also, DL DID fly from ORD-CDG nonstop on DL 122/123. This was back in 2015. This route no longer exists.
https://flight-report.com/en/report/...G-Chicago-ORD/
Old May 29, 2023, 3:40 pm

Programs: Flying Blue, Hilton Honors, Amtrak Guest Rewards
As part of the PS mods, the D1 seats got new covers, IIRC. Same seat otherwise.
pofriri likes this.
Old May 29, 2023, 5:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by pofriri
I saw a video of the 763 with PS, and the D1 seats on that plane looked much newer than the ones I experienced:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EmQU19GxQBA

Also, DL DID fly from ORD-CDG nonstop on DL 122/123. This was back in 2015. This route no longer exists.
https://flight-report.com/en/report/...G-Chicago-ORD/
How long did the ORD/CDG service run? I knew DL has done some one-off to CDG from some smaller markets, but nothing as big as ORD.

As for 763 D1, only the seat covers were updated. The 763 is planned for retirement starting in 2025, so they didn't want to invest heavily in new D1 seats.
Old May 29, 2023, 7:12 pm

Programs: AA ExPl, DL PM, UA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium, probably some others
I have not found the 763's to be incredible in J, but on flights from the East Coast to Europe, I think they do the job just fine. Set your expectations appropriately and you'll enjoy the experience.
Old May 30, 2023, 8:52 am

Originally Posted by flyerCO
How long did the ORD/CDG service run? I knew DL has done some one-off to CDG from some smaller markets, but nothing as big as ORD.

As for 763 D1, only the seat covers were updated. The 763 is planned for retirement starting in 2025, so they didn't want to invest heavily in new D1 seats.
Not too sure how long the service lasted but I was lucky enough to get on that flight back then.
Old May 30, 2023, 9:24 am
Original Member

It was for a fairly short period of time--doubtless when just having to fill 160 or so 767 seats out of ORD was preferable to the 200-ish on an AF plane. Remember with both UA and AA having flights to CDG in that time frame, Skyteam was definitely the laggard on that route (even with connection possibilities out of CDG/AMS)

The smaller 767 capacity is useful for Skyteam for some of the more esoteric flights (IND/CVG/...) into CDG (as well as facilitating the obvious N/S JFK-secondary Europe routes, as the aircraft are generally owned, not leased). Remember they're sharing revenue---for Skyteam optimization transatlantic is using all of the possible AF and DL and KL fleet options to match demand as closely as possible (and why a 321 extended range could be a real boon from secondary eastern US markets)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.