Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Delta RUC (or GUC) upgrades being closed in your account without you using them?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Delta RUC (or GUC) upgrades being closed in your account without you using them?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 6, 2023, 3:39 am
Original Poster

Programs: AS, UA, DL
Lightbulb Delta RUC (or GUC) upgrades being closed in your account without you using them?

Hi FlyerTalk family!

I had recently earned some RUCs as a platinum medallion last year when I requalified for status in 2023. When I was checking my account today, I noticed that one of the certificates were used (3 of them were still valid). The weird thing is that I have not flown much with Delta, and for the past two reservations that I had with Delta (since earning the certs), I didn't use any certificates. Has anyone experienced this before, where one of your certificates got closed when you didn't even use them? I called customer support and they couldn't figure out either, and had to open a ticket. Curious to see if anyone had an experience like this.

Any guidance or past experience sharing would be helpful! Thanks!
Old Mar 29, 2023, 9:02 am

Programs: DL Plat, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Similar issue - I’ve used one but noticed two are closed. Super annoyed to have to deal with this. :/
Old Mar 29, 2023, 9:51 am

Programs: DL DM 1MM; IHG Diamond Amb
About 4-5 years ago, I had an instance of this. After some investigation by an agent, it was found that one of my RUCs was applied to a ticket for someone that I did not know, to a destination that I never went before. This was an obvious mistake, since if I wanted to give one to another passenger I would have to be on the same flight as them. They ultimately wound up opening a fraud case and giving me a new RUC to make up the one that was erroneously taken/used. I suspect that an agent transposed/changed a number when applying someone else's RUC and it just happened to correspond with one of mine.

Though I would say good luck these days with getting a knowledgeable agent to investigate your specific case...
Old Apr 12, 2023, 2:29 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by WannabePBA
About 4-5 years ago, I had an instance of this. After some investigation by an agent, it was found that one of my RUCs was applied to a ticket for someone that I did not know, to a destination that I never went before. This was an obvious mistake, since if I wanted to give one to another passenger I would have to be on the same flight as them. They ultimately wound up opening a fraud case and giving me a new RUC to make up the one that was erroneously taken/used. I suspect that an agent transposed/changed a number when applying someone else's RUC and it just happened to correspond with one of mine.

Though I would say good luck these days with getting a knowledgeable agent to investigate your specific case...
Thanks for the advice WannabePBA. This is helpful. I will be a bit more adamant with follow up on this issue.
Old Apr 18, 2023, 3:21 am

Programs: Delta DM
Just noticed that an extra RUC was closed when I only used 2 for my last trip JFK-LAX. Tracked down the cert # and am on the phone with an agent to get it back. Crossing my fingers but not holding my breath.

I suspect my issue has something to do with the SDC I did. But I've done them before and never had an issue.

After investigating a bit, the agent on the phone says one of the certificate will be opened back up in a few days. Let's see...

Last edited by golfr; Apr 18, 2023 at 3:44 am
Old Apr 18, 2023, 7:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by golfr
Just noticed that an extra RUC was closed when I only used 2 for my last trip JFK-LAX. Tracked down the cert # and am on the phone with an agent to get it back. Crossing my fingers but not holding my breath.

I suspect my issue has something to do with the SDC I did. But I've done them before and never had an issue.

After investigating a bit, the agent on the phone says one of the certificate will be opened back up in a few days. Let's see...
It's normal to take 24-78 hours to reopen.
Old Apr 26, 2023, 12:10 pm
Original Poster

Wow, I probably should just call Delta instead. The ticket that they opened for me on 3/6 is still not answered. Probably is sitting in their queue and not being picked up by anyone since it's too difficult to figure out lol
Old May 19, 2023, 9:44 pm

Programs: Delta DM
Um, ok. I think Delta is messing with me. I got a RUC reopened after it was closed erroneously. I check back and see it closed again. Called in again to reopen it. What the heck is going on? The agent I spoke with said something to the effect of "there must be a ticket attached to it". I mean how do they not see that 2 were used for 1 flight? I gotta use this thing before it closes on me again.
Old May 20, 2023, 10:57 am

Every aspect of DL’s “certificate” routine - RUC, GUC, Amex Companion Cert - is such a pain. It really is rarely worth it. So many hidden traps, so many obscure manual processes, so much babysitting required.
Spiff and JojaFlyer like this.
Old May 20, 2023, 2:04 pm

Programs: DL-Diamond/2MM, Alaska Gold, Marriott Titanium, LT Plat.
Questions about GUC - when are they pulled ? When you actually fly or when your itinerary indicates the upgrade ?
Thnx in advance
Old May 20, 2023, 2:43 pm

Originally Posted by whereishome?
Questions about GUC - when are they pulled ? When you actually fly or when your itinerary indicates the upgrade ?
Thnx in advance
In my experience:
-- If booked using the new process where you can add a GUC upon website checkout when upgrade space is listed as available: immediately upon booking and clearing (did this twice and both times I was cleared and cert was closed during checkout process).
-- If added later, or if you add it upon booking but are waitlisted due to no space: when the ticket is reissued.
Old May 20, 2023, 5:33 pm

Programs: DL-Diamond/2MM, Alaska Gold, Marriott Titanium, LT Plat.
Thnx ! Going on memory here as I am pretty sure that I called in. Reason is that one tix is on miles; spouse is on $$. Upgrades were available and "my trips" shows upgraded seats both coming/going for both of us. Yet GUC still showing as available for use on the DL website. Any thoughts ? The reason for my question is that there is only THREE GUC listed and the last thing I want is for one of us to not fly in D1 on the return home.

Interesting that there is only three certs left in my file when I haven't used one. :-(
Old May 20, 2023, 8:26 pm

Originally Posted by whereishome?
Thnx ! Going on memory here as I am pretty sure that I called in. Reason is that one tix is on miles; spouse is on $$. Upgrades were available and "my trips" shows upgraded seats both coming/going for both of us. Yet GUC still showing as available for use on the DL website. Any thoughts ? The reason for my question is that there is only THREE GUC listed and the last thing I want is for one of us to not fly in D1 on the return home.

Interesting that there is only three certs left in my file when I haven't used one. :-(
If you applied over the phone, that doesn't guarantee the ticket will be reissued. Most agents won't do it automatically or (more likely) are not aware this is a thing. Agent just applies and clears space, but not all of them will reissue the ticket. They would have put you on hold for a while as they were talking to the ticketing desk.
Check the receipt on line. If it still shows your original fare class that you booked, the ticket was not reissued. You should call back and ask for the reissue so there are no problems upon checking in. Some agents will try to tell you it will happen automatically...it won't. HUCA until you get someone that will do it upon request.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.