Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Anyone still doing the old Northwest BUMP?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 1, 2023, 4:56 am
Original Poster

I’ve been curious, and figure Delta forum is just as good as anyone else due to their purchase of NW

Is anyone still doing the old Northwest BUMP (bring us more passengers) thing where they would take over any ticket to a routing of their own? I know loads have been high, so probably not, but curious if there’s a modern parallel anymore.
Return2flight likes this.
Old Mar 1, 2023, 6:58 am

Programs: Non-Affiliated
Originally Posted by sea_flyer_17
I’ve been curious, and figure Delta forum is just as good as anyone else due to their purchase of NW

Is anyone still doing the old Northwest BUMP (bring us more passengers) thing where they would take over any ticket to a routing of their own? I know loads have been high, so probably not, but curious if there’s a modern parallel anymore.
I think about this old program sometimes. I used it once many years ago. The agents at DTW knew what they were doing to make it happen.
Spiff and Return2flight like this.
Old Mar 1, 2023, 7:17 am

Programs: AA Plat Pto, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Hyatt Globalist
I had thought of this program a few weeks ago but opted not to try it as my last attempt was met with utter confusion and attempt to sell a walk up fare. Hopefully NWA012 or another knowledgeable source will update us all.
Return2flight likes this.
Old Mar 1, 2023, 9:13 am

I recall a thread on this shortly after the merger. I tried the search feature, but no luck! From memory, the conclusion was that BUMP was not an option with Delta, either by policy or technology issues at the time.
Old Mar 1, 2023, 9:29 am

Originally Posted by OldAsiaHand
I recall a thread on this shortly after the merger. I tried the search feature, but no luck! From memory, the conclusion was that BUMP was not an option with Delta, either by policy or technology issues at the time.
That's not to say it wasn't done a time or two in the days of DeltaTerm. I can only imagine it would be easier these days.
Old Mar 1, 2023, 10:50 am
VFR

Programs: AA PP, DL PM
As I understand it, BUMP was possible on NW because paper tickets had a dollar value that any US carrier could claim without an endorsement. So NW was able to submit the paper tickets it collected for BUMP passengers to their clearinghouse and get paid by the other carriers. It did last into the era of e-ticketing, but my bet is that things have changed and airlines now don't want other carriers touching their e-tickets.
Old Mar 1, 2023, 1:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by VFR
As I understand it, BUMP was possible on NW because paper tickets had a dollar value that any US carrier could claim without an endorsement. So NW was able to submit the paper tickets it collected for BUMP passengers to their clearinghouse and get paid by the other carriers. It did last into the era of e-ticketing, but my bet is that things have changed and airlines now don't want other carriers touching their e-tickets.
Carriers have agreements that allow them to accept otger carrier tickets. As long as this is met, they can do it DoD. Last year, DL took over my UA ticket DTW-IAD-LAX when my DL ICN-DTW ran late. However AFAIK this is only time they can do so anymore. It's not just a walk up and ask to change.
Old Mar 1, 2023, 2:48 pm
formerly Sleepy_Sentry

Glad to know (but somehow disappointed) the Northwest bump isn’t what I thought it was. I assumed it must involve some sort of new use for old frequent flyer cards.
BigFishDave and born sleepy like this.
Old Mar 2, 2023, 4:55 am

Programs: DL DM+(segs)/MM, UA Ag, Hilton DM, Marriott Ti (life Pt), TSA Opt-out Platinum
I’d be curious to know more about this BUMP program and when/how it operated.

Having been an agent in the 2000s (for another US3 airline), I can say it’s impossible to just “take over” another carriers eticket. You can’t even see an OA (other airline) ticket unless the controlling/issuing airline has pushed control of it over to you.

Now during IROPs a lot of lazy agents would just print tickets and Rule 120.20 them to another carrier. I suppose there’s nothing to stop a pax or even OA from fraudulently doing it themselves upon receipt…but again, it’s still I initiated by the controlling/ issuing carrier printing the tickets. In the pre eticket days I suppose you could have a full fare ticket thats endorsable to any carrier, but those are exceedingly rare.
Spiff likes this.
Old Mar 2, 2023, 5:14 am

Originally Posted by OHDL1
That's not to say it wasn't done a time or two in the days of DeltaTerm. I can only imagine it would be easier these days.
​​​​​​​DL Term is still very much around - experienced reps still know how to use it. SNAPP is being used more often for new hires though.
Old Mar 2, 2023, 5:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by HDQDD
I’d be curious to know more about this BUMP program and when/how it operated.

Having been an agent in the 2000s (for another US3 airline), I can say it’s impossible to just “take over” another carriers eticket. You can’t even see an OA (other airline) ticket unless the controlling/issuing airline has pushed control of it over to you.

Now during IROPs a lot of lazy agents would just print tickets and Rule 120.20 them to another carrier. I suppose there’s nothing to stop a pax or even OA from fraudulently doing it themselves upon receipt…but again, it’s still I initiated by the controlling/ issuing carrier printing the tickets. In the pre eticket days I suppose you could have a full fare ticket thats endorsable to any carrier, but those are exceedingly rare.
Carriers with interline eticket agreements can generally takeover an eticket from the other carrier on DoD.

In my example earlier in the thread, the DL agent simply asked for UA ticket number. They couldn't of course see it, i had to give it. Now the DL couldn't touch the UA reservation, it still existed. However they could takeover the ticket. No calls, etc. Just simply created a DL PNR, and had it issue a DL ticket using tge UA ticket as payment. Same thing in past with BUMP program, just they would do it just because you walked up and asked.
Old Mar 2, 2023, 6:00 am
VFR

Programs: AA PP, DL PM
For folks wondering what we are talking about, the original thread from sixteen years ago is a good, 17-page read.
Old Mar 2, 2023, 6:35 am

Programs: Delta, Hilton, Hertz
the one thing delta got with the northwest merger that I don't like is the use of the cabin chime at 10000 ft on approach. Delta would do 4 dings. Then they adapted the northwest 2 ding.
Old Mar 2, 2023, 7:37 am
Original Member and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM/MM, AA ExPlat, Hyatt Glob, HH Dia, National ECE, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by micstatic
the one thing delta got with the northwest merger that I don't like is the use of the cabin chime at 10000 ft on approach. Delta would do 4 dings. Then they adapted the northwest 2 ding.
Surely you meant to post this in this thread?
dcadwell, hhdl and Keith2004 like this.
Old Mar 3, 2023, 6:00 am

Programs: DL DM+(segs)/MM, UA Ag, Hilton DM, Marriott Ti (life Pt), TSA Opt-out Platinum
Originally Posted by flyerCO
Carriers with interline eticket agreements can generally takeover an eticket from the other carrier on DoD.

In my example earlier in the thread, the DL agent simply asked for UA ticket number. They couldn't of course see it, i had to give it. Now the DL couldn't touch the UA reservation, it still existed. However they could takeover the ticket. No calls, etc. Just simply created a DL PNR, and had it issue a DL ticket using tge UA ticket as payment. Same thing in past with BUMP program, just they would do it just because you walked up and asked.
How did you get rebooked on DL? If someone at UA did it, then they would’ve pushed control of the ticket to DL, and that’s why DL could use it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.