Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Can PMs use the Upper Class Wing?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 26, 2023, 8:58 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL PM & NRSA, AA Gold, ANA Plat, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold, National EC Exec, GE, CLEAR
Can PMs use the Upper Class Wing?

Hey! If there's already a thread on this feel free to merge.

I'll be having my first trip over to LHR and have been seeing mixed reports online, that despite it not being a publically listed benefit it may still be accessible.

Do Platinum Medallions get access to the Upper Class Wing for check in or just the Clubhouse?

Last edited by TheLifeOfA_NKCM; Jan 26, 2023 at 9:03 pm
Old May 2, 2023, 7:21 am

Programs: Delta Diamond Medallion
Virgin Atlantic just updated their website to make it clear who gets Upper Class Wing access - Delta Diamond and Platinum Medallions do.

• Flying Club Gold card members + a guest travelling with Virgin Atlantic or Delta
  • Delta Sky Miles Diamond and Platinum Medallions + a guest travelling on Virgin Atlantic or Delta
  • Flying Club Blue Platinum Members + a guest travelling on Virgin Atlantic or Delta
  • All other Sky Team Elite Plus members + a guest travelling on Virgin Atlantic or Delta
  • Virgin Australia Velocity Club Gold, Platinum and The Club card holders travelling on Virgin Atlantic
VFR likes this.
Old May 2, 2023, 10:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K (1MM), DL Gold (1MM), Marriott LTT
Originally Posted by Ben7
Virgin Atlantic just updated their website to make it clear who gets Upper Class Wing access - Delta Diamond and Platinum Medallions do.
That should include Delta gold then unless it's just horribly worded on VS's website. "All other SkyTeam Elite Plus" is either inclusive or exclusive of the airlines/elites already mentioned. You can absolutely make the argument it's inclusive.

-RM
Old May 2, 2023, 2:02 pm

Originally Posted by RobOnLI
That should include Delta gold then unless it's just horribly worded on VS's website. "All other SkyTeam Elite Plus" is either inclusive or exclusive of the airlines/elites already mentioned. You can absolutely make the argument it's inclusive.

-RM
I would not assume it's inclusive of gold. The fact that they're allowing OTHER skyteam elite plus in isn't really relevant, and the fact that they chose the word "other" there implies to me that leaving DL gold out was the intention. this particular benefit is not governed by skyteam status.
Old May 2, 2023, 8:27 pm

Is there anything special about this area or just a slightly quicker queue through security? You still have to remove your electronics from your carry-on bag, right?
Old May 3, 2023, 5:50 am

Programs: Delta Diamond Medallion
slobass There's two parts of the Upper Class Wing. The first is the drop-off area that drops you right outside the dedicated check-in area. This area is quicker to check-in and it's usually empty and the staff help you bring in bags, with the drop off point being right next to the entrance. This area has now been clarified by Virgin as accessible for Delta Medallions with the correct status as mentioned above.

The second part is the security which is also quicker due to the limited access for this line. You can join the quicker security line (again with the right status) if you've checked-in through the main T3 area by going up the elevator and scanning your boarding pass. This faster security was always accessible for DM/PM.

So yes the security is the same, just quicker but it is a nicer experience, especially going through the Upper Class Wing.
Old May 3, 2023, 6:00 am

Programs: DL DM, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by slobass
Is there anything special about this area or just a slightly quicker queue through security? You still have to remove your electronics from your carry-on bag, right?
Another thing to note is that it's only immediately accessible by car. If you come via the tube/Heathrow Express, you'll enter via the main check-in area. I can't say I've ever found a major line in the Upper Class check-in line in that area (which DL PM/DMs are eligible to use), so I've never bothered to schlep to the Upper Class wing if you're coming via public transportation.
Old May 3, 2023, 11:05 am

Programs: DL Platinum, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Cory6188
Another thing to note is that it's only immediately accessible by car. If you come via the tube/Heathrow Express, you'll enter via the main check-in area. I can't say I've ever found a major line in the Upper Class check-in line in that area (which DL PM/DMs are eligible to use), so I've never bothered to schlep to the Upper Class wing if you're coming via public transportation.
Out of curiosity, is there actually any way to get to the Upper Class wing from the T2/T3 train station? I tried walking around the terminal building toward that area once and all I found was a dingy alley and a sheltered smoking area, with no staircase to get up to check-in, which led me to believe it's exclusively accessible by car.

Not that it's worth the extra walking, anyway... as you mentioned, the Upper Class line is usually short. Heck, last summer, the general check-in line was the worst I'd ever seen it, and I still walked right up to the Upper Class check-in desks.
Old May 3, 2023, 11:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by ohhleary
Out of curiosity, is there actually any way to get to the Upper Class wing from the T2/T3 train station? I tried walking around the terminal building toward that area once and all I found was a dingy alley and a sheltered smoking area, with no staircase to get up to check-in, which led me to believe it's exclusively accessible by car.

Not that it's worth the extra walking, anyway... as you mentioned, the Upper Class line is usually short. Heck, last summer, the general check-in line was the worst I'd ever seen it, and I still walked right up to the Upper Class check-in desks.
Only cars can pull up outside. However you can go through the door (same one to access to security lane) and use the wing.
ohhleary likes this.
Old May 3, 2023, 1:32 pm

we will be 3 people on same reservation...do you think they will let us in? (lifetime delta club member...and currently delta diamond)...we are all on same reservation but in coach.
Old May 3, 2023, 4:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by Live4Miles
we will be 3 people on same reservation...do you think they will let us in? (lifetime delta club member...and currently delta diamond)...we are all on same reservation but in coach.
Are you talking about the UC WING or the Clubhouse? (You mention LT Delta Club so not sure) Yes to the wing. No to the club.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.