Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

It is Truly Incredible How Much Skymiles Sucks for Partner Awards

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

It is Truly Incredible How Much Skymiles Sucks for Partner Awards

Search this Thread

Old Jan 25, 2023, 10:20 pm

Programs: United MileagePlus Premier 1K, Delta SkyMiles Diamond Medallion
What also sucks (such a pedestrian term), is that even if you find an partner award online, especially on Korean Air in a premium cabin, the website will time out and say it is “sold out.”
This happened to me, so I called the Diamond Desk, saw the award space available. Then they put me on hold for 2 hours to reach the partner desk to get the ticket issued, only to be told after the long hold that the inventory wasn’t there.
truly dreadful experience all the way around .
Old Jan 26, 2023, 12:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by unitedbusiness
What also sucks (such a pedestrian term), is that even if you find an partner award online, especially on Korean Air in a premium cabin, the website will time out and say it is “sold out.”
This happened to me, so I called the Diamond Desk, saw the award space available. Then they put me on hold for 2 hours to reach the partner desk to get the ticket issued, only to be told after the long hold that the inventory wasn’t there.
truly dreadful experience all the way around .
KE issue usually, but notcalways, is blackout dates. DL doesn't have them. KE does, however still there's inventory in the award bucket. Thus DL sees award flights available. However when it goes to confirm inventory, KE system rejects booking.
unitedbusiness likes this.
Old Jan 26, 2023, 8:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Adelphos
Given you don't earn MQM on partner SkyMiles redemptions, but you do on Delta metal redemptions, aren't the Delta redemptions a better bet these days (when they are reasonably priced, which isn't that often)?
If award rates are same, then sure, it could tip in favor of DL due to MQM/MQD earn. With the harmonization to/from US/Canada, the partner awards always look to book in lowest applicable DL award level (which is based on advance purchase, roundtrip booking w/min stay requirements, day of travel, seasonality, etc.). But there actually has to be partner award bucket availability open on their flights. DL metal flights can book into a number of different award levels based on the fact that DL has multiple award buckets on their own flights (it's not simply binary). If there are flights on DL metal that have availability is lowest level DL award buckets, DL award pricing should match awards available on partner metal (assuming there is some partner availability on that day).
Old Jan 26, 2023, 9:02 am

Programs: DM/3MM
Originally Posted by Adelphos
Given you don't earn MQM on partner SkyMiles redemptions, but you do on Delta metal redemptions, aren't the Delta redemptions a better bet these days (when they are reasonably priced, which isn't that often)?
Related topic…if I have a skymiles redemption through Delta, and one of the flights is DL marketed but operated by another sky team carrier (say KL or AF), I will only earn MQMs/MQSs/MQDs on the DL operated flights?
Old Jan 26, 2023, 9:05 am
VFR

Programs: AA PP, DL PM
Originally Posted by TrojanTraveler
Related topic…if I have a skymiles redemption through Delta, and one of the flights is DL marketed but operated by another sky team carrier (say KL or AF), I will only earn MQMs/MQSs/MQDs on the DL operated flights?
Delta award tickets are always booked under the operating airline's code -- you will never have a DL marketed award flight operated by another carrier.
Old Jan 26, 2023, 9:11 am

Originally Posted by VFR
Delta award tickets are always booked under the operating airline's code -- you will never have a DL marketed award flight operated by another carrier.
News to me, I seldom redeem miles and it’s been many many years since I redeemed for a flight outside the US. I can understand how they would calculate the MQMs, but how would they calcite the MQDs on an award ticket for, say, JFk-MUC, where JFK-CDG is on DL and CDG-MUC in on AF?
Old Jan 26, 2023, 9:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

News to me, I seldom redeem miles and it’s been many many years since I redeemed for a flight outside the US. I can understand how they would calculate the MQMs, but how would they calcite the MQDs on an award ticket for, say, JFk-MUC, where JFK-CDG is on DL and CDG-MUC in on AF?
They will usually divvy things up on the basis of flight stage length in these cases (apply percentage flown on DL metal to number of miles redeemed).
Old Jan 26, 2023, 9:20 am

Originally Posted by xliioper
They will usually divvy things up on the basis of flight stage length in these cases.
I thought that was the case, so you likely won’t know until after completing the flights. Unless DL has programmed this to show when you are redeeming, similar to when you purchase a ticket. But with Delta’s IT…
Old Jan 26, 2023, 9:41 am

Programs: Rapid Rewards, Skymiles, Hilton HHonors, SPG/Marriott Rewards
They suck for DL awards too!
Old Jan 26, 2023, 2:54 pm

Programs: DL 1MM Annual Silver,AS 100K 22-24, AS 75K 15-21
Mileage aside, I thought KL charged fuel charges? If so, wouldn't that essentially nullify the mileage award advantage?

Jiburi
Old Jan 26, 2023, 3:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jiburi
Mileage aside, I thought KL charged fuel charges? If so, wouldn't that essentially nullify the mileage award advantage?

Jiburi
If you are talking about when redeeming KL (or other partner operated flights) using DL Skymiles, there are no surcharges for DL/AF/KL/VS metal on ex-US one-way or roundtrip DL Skymiles awards to EU. You will pay surcharges on all 4 carrier operating metal if your DL awards have an EU origin.

Last edited by xliioper; Jan 26, 2023 at 4:03 pm
Old Jan 26, 2023, 3:37 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jiburi

Jiburi
KLM does have extra charges, so let's compare.

The SFO to AMS itinerary shown in post #3 is 66,000 miles plus $113 for connecting flights in both directions departing from SFO on the outbound at 5:40 AM.

I started a dummy booking by comparison on klm.us. It is 40,000 miles plus $241 for non-stop flights in both directions leaving at civilized hours. So the KLM award flight is 26,000 miles less and $128 more than the Delta award.

I don't care about MQM any more.
jiburi likes this.
Old Jan 26, 2023, 4:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by BigFlyer
KLM does have extra charges, so let's compare.

The SFO to AMS itinerary shown in post #3 is 66,000 miles plus $113 for connecting flights in both directions departing from SFO on the outbound at 5:40 AM.

I started a dummy booking by comparison on klm.us. It is 40,000 miles plus $241 for non-stop flights in both directions leaving at civilized hours. So the KLM award flight is 26,000 miles less and $128 more than the Delta award.

I don't care about MQM any more.
The DL award levels also apply to the non-stop KL operated flights. See post #6 -- https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/34954709-post6.html
Old Jan 26, 2023, 4:09 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by xliioper
The DL award levels also apply to the non-stop KL operated flights. See post #6 -- https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/34954709-post6.html
Yes, but very difficult to find availabity and book those with DL miles.
Old Jan 27, 2023, 4:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
I thought that was the case, so you likely won’t know until after completing the flights. Unless DL has programmed this to show when you are redeeming, similar to when you purchase a ticket. But with Delta’s IT…
How hard is it to calculate a percentage? Flight length out of total ticketed miles. Simply calculate what would earn for the miles spent and multiple by that percentage.

Same way you do it when ticket is cash and have DL and OAL marketed flights on one ticket. This is MQD earned

MQM is strictly based off flight length.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.