Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

It is Truly Incredible How Much Skymiles Sucks for Partner Awards

Old Jan 24, 23, 5:53 pm
Original Poster

I was just looking at one-way tickets from SFO to AMS for the rest of the month. It is incredible how bad Delta is at this very low demand time of year on joint venture partners:.

Here is what KLM shows for the rest of the month for a one-way Flying Blue ticket:

And here is what Delta shows:

Old Jan 24, 23, 6:06 pm

Originally Posted by BigFlyer View Post
I was just looking at one-way tickets from SFO to AMS for the rest of the month. It is incredible how bad Delta is at this very low demand time of year on joint venture partners:.

Here is what KLM shows for the rest of the month for a one-way Flying Blue ticket:

And here is what Delta shows:

for Y?
Old Jan 24, 23, 6:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by shoodawg View Post
for Y?
Yes. DL harmonized DL and partner metal awards from US/Canada last year (as has been covered in other threads). Cheapest Skymiles awards now require roundtrip bookings with minimum stay and have advance purchase requirements on both Delta and partner metal (this had been true of DL metal awards for some time, but now also applies to partner metal awards). If you are booking last minute flights and one-ways awards, they will be many, many more miles (mirroring last minute, one-way revenue fares which start at $1652 on this route with a less than 14 day advance purchase). Cheapest DL economy awards on SFO-AMS are seasonal and 33K miles each way and require a roundtrip booking with 7 day minimum stay and 28 day advance purchase and Mon-Thu travel. These 66K roundtrip awards largely mirror $793 roundtrip main cabin V fares on route with similar fare rule requirements.

Fare rules for $793 roundtrip VLX87SM2 V fares

lsquare likes this.

Last edited by xliioper; Jan 24, 23 at 6:48 pm
Old Jan 24, 23, 7:20 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by shoodawg View Post
for Y?
Yup.
Old Jan 24, 23, 7:24 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by xliioper View Post
Yes. DL harmonized DL and partner metal awards from US/Canada last year (as has been covered in other threads). Cheapest Skymiles awards now require roundtrip bookings with minimum stay and have advance purchase requirements on both Delta and partner metal (this had been true of DL metal awards for some time, but now also applies to partner metal awards). If you are booking last minute flights and one-ways awards, they will be many, many more miles (mirroring last minute, one-way revenue fares which start at $1652 on this route with a less than 14 day advance purchase). Cheapest DL economy awards on SFO-AMS are seasonal and 33K miles each way and require a roundtrip booking with 7 day minimum stay and 28 day advance purchase and Mon-Thu travel. These 66K roundtrip awards largely mirror $793 roundtrip main cabin V fares on route with similar fare rule requirements.

Fare rules for $793 roundtrip VLX87SM2 V fares

At those requirements might be better to just use pay with miles.

BTW, neither of the flights in your example are on the non-stop.
Old Jan 24, 23, 7:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by BigFlyer View Post
At those requirements might be better to just use pay with miles.

BTW, neither of the flights in your example are on the non-stop.

Exact same award levels/fares apply to non-stop flights. Anything involving partner metal over the Atlantic is considered a DL partner award (or at least it used to be) as in the return flights above which has AF metal over Atlantic. Finding bucket availability on KL non-stops can be more challenging (they are also less than daily until mid-March), but there are examples below.

DL formerly had different award levels for it's own metal vs. partner metal over the Atlantic. They still had 3 tiers for partner awards (for 0- 20 day advance purchase, 21 - 59 advance, and 60 day or more advance purchase), but all partner awards still priced as one-way awards and the award levels were generally much cheaper than DL one-way awards. The have now harmonized the DL/partner metal award levels to/from US/Canada to be the same and cheapest award levels will require a roundtrip purchase whether flying DL or partner metal over the Atlantic.

Last edited by xliioper; Jan 25, 23 at 5:28 am
Old Jan 25, 23, 12:18 pm

Programs: human being triple secret platinum
I got very good value (~2 cpp if I recall) just a few months ago redeeming SkyPesos on HA for interisland flights (OGG-LIH, LIH-HNL, etc).
Old Jan 25, 23, 2:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Exact same award levels/fares apply to non-stop flights. Anything involving partner metal over the Atlantic is considered a DL partner award (or at least it used to be) as in the return flights above which has AF metal over Atlantic. Finding bucket availability on KL non-stops can be more challenging (they are also less than daily until mid-March), but there are examples below.

DL formerly had different award levels for it's own metal vs. partner metal over the Atlantic. They still had 3 tiers for partner awards (for 0- 20 day advance purchase, 21 - 59 advance, and 60 day or more advance purchase), but all partner awards still priced as one-way awards and the award levels were generally much cheaper than DL one-way awards. The have now harmonized the DL/partner metal award levels to/from US/Canada to be the same and cheapest award levels will require a roundtrip purchase whether flying DL or partner metal over the Atlantic.

I'm only seeing 75k awards now when TATL is on a partner. ie MEX-ATL-ATH is 180k RT. (DL metal TATL) MEX-AMS-ATH 150RT (AM/KL TATL)
Old Jan 25, 23, 3:25 pm

Programs: Rapid Rewards, Skymiles, Hilton HHonors, SPG/Marriott Rewards
Originally Posted by OhDoctor View Post
I got very good value (~2 cpp if I recall) just a few months ago redeeming SkyPesos on HA for interisland flights (OGG-LIH, LIH-HNL, etc).
Really? Must have been something going on because most inter island flights are dirt cheap these days with WN and HA.
Old Jan 25, 23, 3:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by flyerCO View Post
I'm only seeing 75k awards now when TATL is on a partner. ie MEX-ATL-ATH is 180k RT. (DL metal TATL) MEX-AMS-ATH 150RT (AM/KL TATL)
Just noticed you searched for ATH -- previous poster was looking at SFO-AMS. Different EU destinations have different award levels from US/Canada as they are route specific. SFO-ATH coach awards actually start at 58K miles roundtrip (YSVR290 awards). Like the 66K roundtrip SFO-AMS awards below, they are seasonal (good through May 15th) and have a 7 day minimum stay requirement. You perhaps assume that just because the partner awards always book into same class (X for coach), that the mileage amount will always be the same. This is not true out of US/Canada due to harmonization and the mileage amounts will be the same as DL metal on the route at the lowest DL award level that meets the various award fare rule requirements for the booking.

Searching out of Mexico/Caribbean will yield completely different award levels from US/Canada and partner metal awards have not been harmonized with DL metal awards out of Mexico/Caribbean (unlike out of US/Canada). The 75K coach awards on partner metal out of Mexico/Caribbean are YSM375 awards (37.5K each-way) and are bookable as one-ways for 37.5K miles. Awards with a roundtrip booking requirement will have an 'R' in the middle of their fare basis codes.

66K roundtrip awards (YSVR330 -- 33K each way with a roundtrip booking required) are still there on SFO-AMS. They apply to both partner and DL metal, but are only available on DL metal when the lowest DL award booking class has bucket availability (otherwise, the DL metal will price in a higher award level on route). These awards are both seasonal (they are only good through Mar 31st and then again in the Fall starting Oct 23rd) and day of week specific (Mon-Thu flights only) and have a 28 day advance purchase requirement. They also have a 7 day minimum stay requirement. So you will only see them when search very specific calendar dates (basically, you need to do a roundtrip award calendar search with a 7 day stay). If you are doing one-way searches, you will never see these levels because of the roundtrip booking requirement.

Last edited by xliioper; Jan 25, 23 at 4:24 pm
Old Jan 25, 23, 5:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Just noticed you searched for ATH -- previous poster was looking at SFO-AMS. Different EU destinations have different award levels from US/Canada as they are route specific. SFO-ATH coach awards actually start at 58K miles roundtrip (YSVR290 awards). Like the 66K roundtrip SFO-AMS awards below, they are seasonal (good through May 15th) and have a 7 day minimum stay requirement. You perhaps assume that just because the partner awards always book into same class (X for coach), that the mileage amount will always be the same. This is not true out of US/Canada due to harmonization and the mileage amounts will be the same as DL metal on the route at the lowest DL award level that meets the various award fare rule requirements for the booking.

Searching out of Mexico/Caribbean will yield completely different award levels from US/Canada and partner metal awards have not been harmonized with DL metal awards out of Mexico/Caribbean (unlike out of US/Canada). The 75K coach awards on partner metal out of Mexico/Caribbean are YSM375 awards (37.5K each-way) and are bookable as one-ways for 37.5K miles. Awards with a roundtrip booking requirement will have an 'R' in the middle of their fare basis codes.

66K roundtrip awards (YSVR330 -- 33K each way with a roundtrip booking required) are still there on SFO-AMS. They apply to both partner and DL metal, but are only available on DL metal when the lowest DL award booking class has bucket availability (otherwise, the DL metal will price in a higher award level on route). These awards are both seasonal (they are only good through Mar 31st and then again in the Fall starting Oct 23rd) and day of week specific (Mon-Thu flights only) and have a 28 day advance purchase requirement. They also have a 7 day minimum stay requirement. So you will only see them when search very specific calendar dates (basically, you need to do a roundtrip award calendar search with a 7 day stay). If you are doing one-way searches, you will never see these levels because of the roundtrip booking requirement.

I wasn't clear. D1/business is what I was looking at. I looked at multiple EU cities and multiple Central America/Caribbean countries. Unless TATL was on partner metal, there was no more 75k awards. Only if TATL was on partner (AF/KL/AM) did 75k awards come up. If DL TATL, it lowest I could find was 90k.
Old Jan 25, 23, 5:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I wasn't clear. D1/business is what I was looking at. I looked at multiple EU cities and multiple Central America/Caribbean countries. Unless TATL was on partner metal, there was no more 75k awards. Only if TATL was on partner (AF/KL/AM) did 75k awards come up. If DL TATL, it lowest I could find was 90k.
Still seeing 75K biz awards to some destinations (I found them to LHR, CDG, and FCO).

Old Jan 25, 23, 7:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Still seeing 75K biz awards to some destinations (I found them to LHR, CDG, and FCO).

The TATL is on AF.
Old Jan 25, 23, 8:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The TATL is on AF.
Okay, for DL metal awards it looks like lowest level from Mexico/Caribbean to EU is 105K miles one-way (CSM1050 awards). Although it looks like there is very little inventory availability at that level. 130K awards are somewhat more common (CSL1300 awards).
Old Jan 25, 23, 11:12 pm

Programs: Delta Diamond, American Platinum, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond,
Given you don't earn MQM on partner SkyMiles redemptions, but you do on Delta metal redemptions, aren't the Delta redemptions a better bet these days (when they are reasonably priced, which isn't that often)?

Search this Thread