Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Would Delta operate relief flights for Southwest…?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Would Delta operate relief flights for Southwest…?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 27, 2022, 10:01 am

Programs: Marriott Gold, AmEx Plat, Agnostic on Airline Programs
Originally Posted by flyerCO
SQ has interline agreement with all *A airlines, plus many more.
I didn't know that. Thanks for the correction. Would those agreements matter in this kind of situation?
Old Dec 27, 2022, 10:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by northinsouth
I didn't know that. Thanks for the correction. Would those agreements matter in this kind of situation?
Yes. It means they can rebook you onto those carriers.
Old Dec 27, 2022, 10:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Duke787
Most people getting screwed by Southwest this week will still book them next year for their 1-2/yearly trips when they are the cheapest option.
I've rarely found them the cheapest option for the routes I want/need to take. They don't even fly to two of the airports I frequent.

I suppose I'm in the minority here, but since Covid, I've really avoided flying SQ because of these issues.
Could you elucidate further on how Southwest's policies and procedures have led you to avoid flying Singapore Airlines?
Old Dec 27, 2022, 10:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by kale73
I've rarely found them the cheapest option for the routes I want/need to take. They don't even fly to two of the airports I frequent.

Could you elucidate further on how Southwest's policies and procedures have led you to avoid flying Singapore Airlines?
Looks like poster meant to type SW and not SQ. northinsouth, to be clear, Southwest has no interline agreements and won't put people on other carriers.
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Dec 27, 2022, 10:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by xliioper
Looks like poster meant to type SW and not SQ. northinsouth, to be clear, Southwest has no interline agreements and won't put people on other carriers.
If OP meant SW, his reply to my reply makes no sense.
view-with-a-room likes this.
Old Dec 27, 2022, 10:39 am

I meant SW. I'm a moron. I wasn't paying close enough attention and tripped up this thread. My bad.
Old Dec 27, 2022, 10:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

If OP meant SW wouldn't OP have typed WN?
IggySD, MSPeconomist and hhdl like this.
Old Dec 27, 2022, 10:41 am

Originally Posted by kale73
If OP meant SW wouldn't OP have typed WN?
Again, my idiocy. Apologies for confusion.
Old Dec 27, 2022, 10:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Again, my idiocy. Apologies for confusion.
Not a problem, except that after years on FlyerTalk my brain automatically 'decodes' those two letter IATA airline abbreviations (at least the ones I know). I seriously thought you were somehow relating an experience on Singapore to one on Southwest. It's difficult to imagine two more 'different' air carriers. (Okay, maybe Emirates and Spirit, etc.).
obscure2k and MSPeconomist like this.
Old Dec 27, 2022, 11:14 am

Originally Posted by DLASflyer
They are operating relief flights in a way. Guarantee lots of DEN, ATL, SAN, MDW, LAS, BWI, MCO, etc. WN pax have bought new tickets on DL.
Yep, my flight in a couple days is to a destination with significant WN operations. My flight went from 65 empty seats on xmas eve to being sold out this morning.
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Dec 27, 2022, 12:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
As an exercise in speculation: obviously, the horse has left the barn on this disaster. But what can SW do to alleviate this situation? I'm not asking rhetorically, but as a genuine curiosity as an outside looking into the aviation industry. For instance, how realistic is it for them to implement a hub system? How hard is it for them to start inter-airline agreements? Etc.

I suppose I'm in the minority here, but since Covid, I've really avoided flying SQ because of these issues. Not to say that DL is beyond reproach--not by a long shot--but I feel a little more trusting in their reliability to get me where I need to go, even if it means flying longer and w/ connections. Perhaps I'm being too naive on this issue...
Canceling flights is actually likely their best move operationally. Since their IT melted down, canceling flights actually clears the board completely so they don’t have to figure out matching pilots manually to routes (which apparently is what they are doing).

The full scale cancel clears the tables so they can restart at some point in the next few days with the rosters that the scheduling software has queued up for January. Now of course that doesn’t take into account all the passengers getting screwed in the process but from a pure ops standpoint what they are doing is probably the best move.

Long term they clearly need to be investing in their IT and this yet again highlights the discrepancy between airlines taking large sums of money during Covid and airlines engaging in stock buybacks instead of investing in their technology stack.

If the US had EU261 type of measures in place, this would’ve been contained within 24-36 hours because the cost of investing in the technology would’ve been cheaper than the risk of EU261 style payouts
jordyn, kavok, wrp96 and 2 others like this.
Old Dec 27, 2022, 12:20 pm

Programs: DL DM
Originally Posted by Duke787
If the US had EU261 type of measures in place, this would’ve been contained within 24-36 hours because the cost of investing in the technology would’ve been cheaper than the risk of EU261 style payouts
Not sure how having a large economic impact would result in SW’s issue being contained within 24-36 hours.

I can see saying that SW would be quick to decide to upgrade their IT systems but the upgrade itself will take months to implement.
Old Dec 27, 2022, 12:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Originally Posted by cre95
Not sure how having a large economic impact would result in SW’s issue being contained within 24-36 hours.

I can see saying that SW would be quick to decide to upgrade their IT systems but the upgrade itself will take months to implement.
Yeah. OK. Months for operational software development and deployment and testing. Go with that.

I have a bridge for sale in a certain location as well as prime real estate in central Florida should anyone be interested who thinks that said software will only be a few months away.

David
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Dec 27, 2022, 12:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by cre95

To me, the point is that if the US had protection regulations in place, WN may have previously invested in its systems and wouldn’t be in this situation now. Of course it would take time.
jordyn, GUWonder, kavok and 3 others like this.
Old Dec 27, 2022, 1:06 pm

Programs: Marriott, IHG, Delta, United
The other part of this is that it’s not just a few WN stations that are hurting… it’s their entire domestic operation… ie everywhere. When one place is decimated, it’s easy to target. Again, this is WNs entire network in shambles.

So even if DL did have some spare crews and planes, where should they fly them to? It’s not like only airports X, Y, Z are having WN meltdowns, and so DL can fly a spare bird on X/Y/Z to ATL/DTW/etc.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.