Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Do Euro Flight Delay Compensation Apply?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Do Euro Flight Delay Compensation Apply?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 1, 2022, 2:30 pm
Original Poster

Question Do Euro Flight Delay Compensation Apply?

Flew back from Rome last week 10/26-
DL 63 FCO- ATL our 10:00 am (Rome time) flight was delayed 2.5 hours.... this in turn caused us to miss our scheduled 6pm (ATL time) connection but was re-ticketed on check in for a flight for a later one at 10:50 pm.
DL 4532 ATL-AGS was delayed itself another hour and finally took off at 12:03 am and arrived at 12:39 am

After a 10 hour FCO- ATL flight, customs and such, this all made for a very long, exhausting day. Do any of the Euro rules apply here?
Old Nov 1, 2022, 3:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
Yes you are eligible for EU261 — there was a ruling earlier this year that enforced EU261 all the way to final destination in the US, not just first point if entry.

Because of this you are eligible for the full €600 (instead of the smaller amount if it was just the 2.5 hour delay).

I haven’t filed under this new ruling with DL yet but I did with UA earlier this year and it was resolved (was offered either €600 or $1000 UA eCredit) so should be similar with DL.

Submit a complaint and lead with your request for EU261 and note that you arrived at your final destination greater than 4 hours after scheduled arrival so are requesting €600/person
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Nov 1, 2022, 3:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA
It depends on the reason for the delay. If the delay was a covered reason, then yes you are eligible for EU261 compensation.
MSPeconomist and JPG3392 like this.
Old Nov 1, 2022, 4:39 pm
Original Poster

Please define "covered reason".... I actually haven't a clue why we were delayed leaving Rome?
Old Nov 1, 2022, 7:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Moyerclan
Please define "covered reason".... I actually haven't a clue why we were delayed leaving Rome?
Don't typically like linking to the bloggers but in this case this is a good summary

https://thriftytraveler.com/guides/f...-compensation/
Old Nov 2, 2022, 8:26 am

Programs: IHG Diamond, Delta PM, Hilton Gold, Accor Gold, Marriott Silver
IIRC, someone with an Expert Flyer subscription could pull up the delay codes for your flight.

There’s a split between things that are the airlines fault- mechanical problems, crew scheduling, etc. and things that are not the airline’s fault- weather, air traffic control issues, etc.

Additional compensation beyond duty of care is for things that were the airline’s fault but not for weather delays and such.

Turnaround time for that kind of complaint seems to be in the 45-60 day range this year. Do a complaint for each person and cross reference the rest of your party in each complaint (I used SkyMiles numbers for that). The people they have handling those kinds of complaints right now don’t always have a tone of experience right now and you can get very different responses based on which employee picks up which e-mail. Cross referencing can increase the odds that someone who knows the rules will give you correct resolution the first time and then also apply the correct remedy to the rest of your party.
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Nov 2, 2022, 9:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K (1MM), DL Gold (1MM), Marriott LTT
ExpertFlyer doesn't show reason codes for delays this far after a flight.
-RM

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.