Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Belligerent passenger story; should FA's have been more forceful?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Belligerent passenger story; should FA's have been more forceful?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 21, 2022, 11:30 am

Definitely. But to be fair to the FA you wouldn't want to personally deal with it either.
Old Oct 21, 2022, 11:46 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by Steve M
After reading this thread, it refreshes my memory as to one of many reasons the 787 is a superior aircraft.
In most cases you can defeat FA dimming of the 787 windows by repeatedly hitting the brighten button while the window dims, and it will reverse.
Old Oct 21, 2022, 11:50 am

Originally Posted by bocastephen
In most cases you can defeat FA dimming of the 787 windows by repeatedly hitting the brighten button while the window dims, and it will reverse.
Have fun in jail for disobeying crew member requests!
Old Oct 21, 2022, 12:17 pm

Programs: I've gone underground!
Originally Posted by DLHubber
Hyperbole much?
JoeDTW and wrp96 like this.
Old Oct 21, 2022, 12:29 pm

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
I suggest educating yourself on the actual rules vs just tossing out kneejerk conjecture.
WillBarrett_68 likes this.
Old Oct 21, 2022, 12:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I find it obnoxious when the person in front of me reclines their seat. But I also realize that its their seat, and they are free to recline it if they wish.

I always open up my window. Its my window, and Im free to open it if I wish. Be considerate of my enjoyment, I paid to be on the flight.
Talking a bit out of both sides of your mouth, eh?

On the seat recline, you can always recline yourself as well, then you have just as much space as if neither were reclined. I dont get why this is an issue. I do wonder whether the OPs adversary had her seat back upright while she was complaining about the seat in front. My back hurts when the seat is fully upright.
indufan likes this.
Old Oct 21, 2022, 12:44 pm

Programs: AS MVP, AA MM, HH Diamond, MR Gold
Originally Posted by ijgordon

On the seat recline, you can always recline yourself as well, then you have just as much space as if neither were reclined. I dont get why this is an issue. I do wonder whether the OPs adversary had her seat back upright while she was complaining about the seat in front. My back hurts when the seat is fully upright.
And my back feels better when I'm upright. The reclining into you is not usually a problem until you need to get up. I'm sure the guy in the aisle (husband?) got up to let her out, but with the seat reclined into you it's very difficult to contort your body to squeeze under it, especially if the armrests are stationary and not able to lift up - believe me, I've been in that position and it's very difficult, especially if you're not 22 years old and 100 lbs. So unlike many here my sympathy rests with the woman, not the OP who had all the room in the world fully reclined in the bulkhead.

But I still want to know when the woman asked him to unrecline momentarily so she could get out whether he did or not. I think that would be very telling as to her attitude about the window.
Segments likes this.
Old Oct 21, 2022, 12:45 pm

Originally Posted by emma dog
Hyperbole much?
Originally Posted by bocastephen
I suggest educating yourself on the actual rules vs just tossing out kneejerk conjecture.
I thought the sarcasm would be obvious, but I guess it wasnt.
emma dog likes this.
Old Oct 21, 2022, 12:48 pm

I thought the sarcasm would be obvious, but I guess it wasnt.
No, sorry that went completely over us - these window shade and recline threads seem to put us all on edge
emma dog likes this.
Old Oct 21, 2022, 12:50 pm

Originally Posted by ijgordon
Not at all. I realize that the fact that I find the person in front of me reclining to be obnoxious doesnt change the fact that they are allowed to do it. This original point of this thread was to say that people should not open their windows so the vampires can sleep.

I have never said people should not recline their seat. I just dont like when they do it in front of me.
Old Oct 21, 2022, 1:17 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum, American Gold, JetBlue Mosaic 4, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond,
EDIT - I misread, I though the OP's flight was SEA to AMS...
Old Oct 21, 2022, 2:47 pm

Originally Posted by andrewk829
A little self-awareness of social conventions and kindness would be a good thing.
boy this is ironic

news flash, not everyone has the same preferences as you, and it seems your view of "kindness" only flows in one direction

you've got a passenger who is clearly agitated and probably has severe anxiety and you're basically looking for reasons to amp up the tension.
indufan, emma dog, IggySD and 2 others like this.
Old Oct 21, 2022, 10:05 pm

I find it obnoxious when the person in front of me reclines their seat. But I also realize that its their seat, and they are free to recline it if they wish.

I always open up my window. Its my window, and Im free to open it if I wish. Be considerate of my enjoyment, I paid to be on the flight.
You'll have a great time talking and singing loudly on your earbuds as you walk around the club after landing. Be sure and let us know how important your next business deal is going to be, because we are all curious! And feel free to push others aside to stage yourself before the flight. After all, the D1 people generally enjoy pushing through the crowd to board, after the folks with small kids.

All of this is /s, of course.
Old Oct 22, 2022, 12:59 am

Programs: Alaska MVPG, Delta PM, AA EXP, Wannabe SkyWest 1K
She was not belligerent, overstating it like that makes it seem like you were the one contributing to the issue.

I rarely shut my window shade during cruise unless the sun is blasting in, which is much more of an issue if you're on the left side of the plane on a Westbound flight. UA's approach of leaving it to the pax is the right one. At some point, it's like masking now. People make their own choices, but don't have the right to cause a scene because they disagree with other's choices. Re: following crewmembers instructions is for safety issues, not sleep or watching movies.
Old Oct 22, 2022, 4:12 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL Platinum, "alum" of high status with UA but not any more
Originally Posted by Eujeanie

But I still want to know when the woman asked him to unrecline momentarily so she could get out whether he did or not. I think that would be very telling as to her attitude about the window.
Yes, I did un-recline. And, for the record, I do not recline when I'm on a 2 PM flight from Minneapolis to Chicago. But on a long-haul intercontinental flight on which I paid for PS so I could sleep, I am not going to feel guulty about reclining.
FabCW likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.