Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

"Turbulence" resulting in no in-flight service

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

"Turbulence" resulting in no in-flight service

Search this Thread

Old Feb 21, 2024, 6:42 am

Originally Posted by Adam1222
If you didn't expect different service, then seems odd to post about the following year or to be unsupported by other data points. If a free ginger ale is that important to you, perhaps ask a flight attendant next time.
The OP commented on how there’s been reduced cabin service on their flights and cited examples. I did the same: I thought a 4h30min flight with no meaningful turbulence in which there was no cabin service was on topic. But thanks for your valuable policing and input.
Old Feb 21, 2024, 8:57 am

Programs: DM/3MM
I’ve had a domestic flight we’re service was delayed due to turbulence. After a bit the coach FAs were in the aisle with their service. In first there was no service, not even water. Perhaps the turbulence was only in first
moondog, hurnik, cmd320 and 1 others like this.
Old Feb 22, 2024, 4:25 pm
Formerly known as scootr29

Flight 1036 RDU to DTW today…haven’t even taken off yet and the pilot is already calling a turbelance audible. Express service only for coach..

This is beyond ridiculous at this point. Delta cutting corners.
Old Feb 22, 2024, 4:30 pm

Originally Posted by Adam1222
If you didn't expect different service, then seems odd to post about the following year or to be unsupported by other data points. If a free ginger ale is that important to you, perhaps ask a flight attendant next time.
You have missed the point of this thread.
Old Feb 22, 2024, 5:08 pm

Originally Posted by SSF556
Flight 1036 RDU to DTW today…haven’t even taken off yet and the pilot is already calling a turbelance audible. Express service only for coach..

saves delta quite a bit $$
cmd320 likes this.
Old Feb 22, 2024, 5:39 pm

Programs: $9 Fare Club
Originally Posted by SSF556

Yeah that's crazy making that call for that length of flight.

There's definitely something underneath the surface here if we have this many datapoints in one FT thread.
BigFishDave, SSF556, Ascii and 2 others like this.
Old Feb 22, 2024, 6:08 pm

Originally Posted by shoodawg;[url=tel:36022781
36022781]saves delta quite a bit $$
Originally Posted by ChurnieEls;[url=tel:36022824
36022824]Yeah that's crazy making that call for that length of flight.

There's definitely something underneath the surface here if we have this many datapoints in one FT thread.
Seatbelt light off for almost 3/4 of the flight. Also corny pilot got on the mic and made a speech and ended it with “lets get this boeing going”.

Old Feb 22, 2024, 6:50 pm

Originally Posted by ChurnieEls
Yeah that's crazy making that call for that length of flight.

if delta truly cared about passengers they would offer a snack / drink bag during boarding. But it’s all about profits.
Old Feb 22, 2024, 8:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by shoodawg
if delta truly cared about passengers they would offer a snack / drink bag during boarding. But it’s all about profits.
The old AA days
Spiff and cmd320 like this.
Old Feb 22, 2024, 11:12 pm

Programs: DL - PM, (NW - Plat), AA - Gold, Marriott - Plat, Avis - First
Been flying AA a bit this year, and honest I've been impressed with their in-flight service. Way better in domestic F than DL.

The only downside is no PTVs (which is not a deal breaker), their apps sucks, and no free wifi.

However their domestic F is pricing cheaper than DL in Y so its a no brainer. ($200 less for AA F vs DL Y)
GagaPilot likes this.
Old Mar 26, 2024, 5:35 pm

Programs: Marriott LTP, Hilton Diamond, Accor Gold, Hyatt Explorist,, Delta Plat,
New one for me 3.26 flt 850 DCA-ATL

Currently on a flight DCA-ATL. The seat belt sign is off. The seat belt sign has been off. Pilot has announced it is smooth. Three flight attendants are standing chatting in the front galley. First class has been served drinks and the snack basket.

The lead FA makes an announcement that there will be no service in coach because of turbulence making it unsafe....

(I'm in C+ so can see it all.)
Old Mar 26, 2024, 6:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Report it to DL with those details that pilot said smooth, seatbelt sign off and you saw them providing service in F and then doing nothing but standing around chatting. Using fake 'turbulance' as an excuse to do nothing has to stop and only way is if people report it.
Spiff, mbluecpa, ecaarch and 7 others like this.
Old Mar 27, 2024, 7:18 pm

Programs: Bellevue Lifetime Premiere Mega Elite Supreme
Mid-flight DL2378 ATL>JFK (in F, if that matters). Had literally 3-4 minutes of mild chop immediately after departure. Been smooth as glass ever since.

Flight deck announced FAs will remain seated for duration of the flight for everyone’s safety.

I was looking forward to an IPA and a nap before our connection to ACC.

Welp… someone must’ve read my post.

Last edited by TheHorta; Mar 27, 2024 at 7:36 pm
Old Mar 27, 2024, 7:39 pm

Programs: DL PM, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hertz Presidents Circle
I’ve definitely noticed a trend of having the FAs sit down and secure the cabin ridiculously early before landing. Flew MCO-RDU recently and the pilots had the flight attendants do final cabin checks/buckle-in 35 minutes before landing due to “turbulence.” There was a bit of turbulence on approach but nothing crazy or out of the ordinary and none of it came until the final 10 minutes before landing.
cmd320 likes this.
Old Mar 27, 2024, 9:17 pm

Programs: DL DM MM, BIS 2.4MM, EK Gold, SQ Gold, Marriott Gold, HH Gold,
One of my true loves about not flying in the US with all these lazy FAs is how the seatbelt sign is treated seriously; when its on its because there is moderate chop and you better sit your a** down. QF is one of my favorites, it will go off once you reach 5k feet unless its rough and remain off until 10k feet on descent. Yesterday SYD-AKL the pilot left it off from 4 minutes after takeoff until 10 minutes before landing. Some periodic light chop but nothing worth actually using the seatbelt sign.

Others have echoed that one of the reasons for the hypersensitive in the US is the overly litigious ambulance chasing nature of our society as a whole and I tend to agree, but what we are talking about with DL here is just laziness and cutting corners. Lets be honest, the majority of these FAs dont want to work, theyd rather sit on their phones and get paid, then use non-rev priveldges and brag about being world travelers. There are some good eggs, absolutely, but more often than not with US carriers it the opposite.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.