Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Thinking about going for Reserve... hoping to get some feedback about my situation.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Thinking about going for Reserve... hoping to get some feedback about my situation.

Search this Thread

Old Oct 17, 2022, 1:58 pm
Original Poster

Hey all,

I am thinking about going for the business reserve. (or non business). I live in NYC, we are a family of 4, we fly about 3-4 times a year altogether.

The reason I am thinking about it is since I will be able to use the companion certificate quite easily once a year - the annual fee won't matter.

Now for my business I use my cards very heavily. I put about 200k a month on them. So my thinking is that by putting 120k on reserve I will reach Gold and with roll over maybe even hit platinum every other year.

So my thinking is that since the 120k doesn't really matter to me, and the companion will get used for sure once a year, then even if I get upgraded for free once a year (all of us? or is that a stretch? ) then maybe it is worth it.

If I do not do that then that 120k will go on freedom unlimited or partially on amex bbp or platinum business so doesn't seem like such a huge tradeoff.

My main question is really how likely I am to get a free upgrade once when traveling 4 of us - 3/4 times a year on delta? I usually travel on kids holiday from school of course...
Old Oct 17, 2022, 2:05 pm

It'll never happen. With two or more companions, everyone has to have Medallion Status in order to be eligible for an upgrade.
emma dog likes this.
Old Oct 17, 2022, 2:09 pm

If youre spending $200k/month, you could do $250k in your name and $250k your spouses name (if appropriate given your business, I assume you are the owner) and you would both be diamond. As a DM in NYC, Id say I clear into FC about 50% of the time (used to be higher even as a PM in 2019) and thats often with one companion. This would get you RUCs and GUCs to use on your travels as well as sky club and centurion lounge access.

IMO, your best bet is using your points from Amex or Delta reserve or other travel ccs to buy first for special vacations especially if theres only a few per year.
beachmouse and MSPeconomist like this.
Old Oct 17, 2022, 2:15 pm

Originally Posted by coast_2_coast
If youre spending $200k/month, you could do $250k in your name and $250k your spouses name (if appropriate given your business, I assume you are the owner) and you would both be diamond.
They'd hit the MQD waiver, but nobody's hitting Diamond with only 3-4 flights per year.
Old Oct 17, 2022, 2:31 pm

Why not just do a 2% cash back card, and just PAY for the flights in the class of service you want?

2% of 200K = $4000/month. That adds up to some real vacation money in 12 months. At least do the math on a cash back card.
Old Oct 17, 2022, 2:32 pm

Originally Posted by DLHubber
They'd hit the MQD waiver, but nobody's hitting Diamond with only 3-4 flights per year.
Ah yes I forgot you can only get 60k MQMs with the card spend
Old Oct 17, 2022, 2:33 pm
Original Poster

oh if all need medallion status then it is not worth it.
Old Oct 17, 2022, 3:54 pm

Programs: Delta Miles Diamond , Marriot Bonvoy Platinum, Accor Plus Silver
might be better to get a hotel affiliated credit card. at least you'll get to stay for free at your location
Old Oct 17, 2022, 4:10 pm

Originally Posted by DLHubber
On 2 reserves (personal/corporate) you can earn 120,000 MQMs with $240,000 of spend. And after $150,000 you earn 1.5 skymiles per dollar. Spouse can do the same.
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Oct 17, 2022, 6:13 pm

I know two people who were not able to use the companion certificate in 2022 for First Class flights. I am not sure if was because one of the legs had no First Class but you may want to research as I think you can find a thread on flyertalk.
coast_2_coast likes this.
Old Oct 17, 2022, 6:18 pm

Yes but then youre looking at $2400 in annual fees and have to decide if that is worth it to you to get DM + 600k redeemable miles which depending on the destination might cover 3 domestic main cabin round trips for the whole family or would rather have the $48k in cash back. I guess on my calculation it wouldnt be worth it for only 3-4 flights per year and I would spend on a different card but to each their own. With that volume of spend you could always have the reserve in the mix to get some skymiles in the bank.
Old Oct 17, 2022, 6:49 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by coast_2_coast
Yes but then youre looking at $2400 in annual fees and have to decide if that is worth it to you to get DM + 600k redeemable miles which depending on the destination might cover 3 domestic main cabin round trips for the whole family or would rather have the $48k in cash back. I guess on my calculation it wouldnt be worth it for only 3-4 flights per year and I would spend on a different card but to each their own. With that volume of spend you could always have the reserve in the mix to get some skymiles in the bank.
How do you get $48,000 cash back on $500,000 spend? That's over 9%.
Old Oct 17, 2022, 9:52 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Gold, GlobalEntry, Admirals Club, United Club
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
How do you get $48,000 cash back on $500,000 spend? That's over 9%.
200k/mo is 2.4mm annually. Which is 2%. Though I would argue that the absolute baseline for almost anyone doing this spend per year is 2.625%. So it's closer to $60k.
Old Oct 18, 2022, 8:18 am

Originally Posted by jetsfan92588
200k/mo is 2.4mm annually. Which is 2%. Though I would argue that the absolute baseline for almost anyone doing this spend per year is 2.625%. So it's closer to $60k.
yes was going off OPs total spend and conservative cash back estimate.
Old Oct 18, 2022, 12:14 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by jetsfan92588
The discussion was about whether OP and spouse should each get DL credit cards and put $250,000 spend times two on them for two DM cards. I don't anyone is suggesting that they put all of their annual spend on DL AmEx cards.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.