Community
Wiki Posts
Search

buy-up status in December 2022

Search this Thread

Old Aug 16, 2022, 9:06 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL
Talking Will Delta “sell” MQD/MQM towards end of year again?

The change in attaining Delta Elite status, especially Diamond ( $250k on AMEX card!) can be a challenge. This year I’m easily back to qualifying for Diamond on miles, but alas no way to hit AMEX card waiver or segments. I project being about $4k short on MQD and recall that in past years ( pre pandemic) Delta offered to sell I think up to $4k MQM ( translated also to Miles) to help one qualify for following year.
Any word on this again? Other strategies ( Ironically one might be best to buy first class domestic trips with more fare that counts vs International where up to 1/2 of fare are taxes and fees that do NOT count towards MQD)?

I must confess to being spoiled as Diamond. Especially on international travels. Thanks
Old Aug 16, 2022, 9:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The program was called "Elevate Your Status". Might want to look at MQD runs as they will be cheaper than paying $4K to DL. SEA-SCL in AM biz is available from about $1900 roundtrip in October and later and will earn over 4K MQD. There's a dedicated thread for DL status run requests here -- DL/Sky Team: 2022 Consolidated Mileage/Status/Challenge Runs help needed

Then there's the super discount option of VS Economy Delight (DL C+ equivalent) fares on SEA-CPT for $1370 roundtrip.
spongenotbob likes this.

Last edited by xliioper; Aug 16, 2022 at 9:44 am
Old Oct 16, 2022, 11:09 pm
nrr
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA platinum; 2MM AA, Delta Diamond, Hilton Diamond
buy-up status in December 2022

I won't requalify for DM in 2023, I'll be short on MQDs (but heavy on MQMs). I recollect that DL allowed "buy-ups", I'm "sure" there must be a thread on FT discussing this issue--what $ buy-ups does DL require?
Old Oct 17, 2022, 6:33 am

Programs: DL DM
They haven't the buy up status for at least a year. With all the DM and PM's out there, i would seriously doubt they will do it this year.
Old Oct 17, 2022, 6:45 am

If they do offer it the prices are outrageous. Way better to do a mileage run on a ST airline or enjoy some time away than simply pay DL a huge amount of $ for nothing.
Old Oct 17, 2022, 6:52 am

Programs: Delta Death March, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Plat, Marriott/Hilton Gold Life
Originally Posted by sydneyracquelle
If they do offer it the prices are outrageous. Way better to do a mileage run on a ST airline or enjoy some time away than simply pay DL a huge amount of $ for nothing.
Here here... agree.
Old Oct 17, 2022, 9:43 am
formerly willbbiddy

Come to Africa for a few hours with me
Traciely likes this.
Old Oct 17, 2022, 11:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Yeah better off paying for an expensive first/business class fare depending how far off you are than handing DL cash. At least with flying you'll get miles and probably more MQMs too.

I'm sure they'll be offering this in Q4 next year with the 33% MQD increase for DM.
boss315 likes this.
Old Oct 17, 2022, 10:53 pm

Programs: DL DM/1MM, AA EXP, SPG Platinum, Hyatt Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Refresh my memory...if I need MQDs do I need to book through DL or can I book with AF? Want to fly La Premiere but cannot figure out how to book it on DL. All DL sells is D1 which is biz class on AF.
Old Oct 18, 2022, 3:43 am

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Gold, GlobalEntry, Admirals Club, United Club
Originally Posted by SOBE ER DOC
Refresh my memory...if I need MQDs do I need to book through DL or can I book with AF? Want to fly La Premiere but cannot figure out how to book it on DL. All DL sells is D1 which is biz class on AF.
Why are you posting this here?
Old Oct 18, 2022, 8:21 am
formerly willbbiddy

P/F earns 200% MQM and 60% MQD, you have to do the math on the pricing.

If for example your flight was $1000 and 1000 miles booking through Delta would get you 1000 MQD while AF would be 600 MQD. If the flight was $1000 and 10,000 miles that changes to DL 1000 MQD, AF 6,000 MQD.
Old Oct 18, 2022, 8:37 am

Programs: Flying Blue Gold, BA Bronze, Ex-skywards Platnium
Go on google flights and occasionally there's a booking option with DL. Once you go in there you can "upgrade" to LP there.
Old Oct 18, 2022, 9:37 pm

Originally Posted by BirdLawyer
P/F earns 200% MQM and 60% MQD, you have to do the math on the pricing.

If for example your flight was $1000 and 1000 miles booking through Delta would get you 1000 MQD while AF would be 600 MQD. If the flight was $1000 and 10,000 miles that changes to DL 1000 MQD, AF 6,000 MQD.
This is why I'm posting the question here, @jetsfan92588
Old Oct 18, 2022, 9:46 pm

This is why I'm posting the question here, @jetsfan92588
Question might have been based on your post in a different recent thread where you said, “Ar revior [sic] Delta.

This is the straw the broke the camel's back for me. A 33% increase in required MQDs to hit DM is yet another kick in the groin that started with the devaluation of SkyPesos and continued with the increase of the DM MQD waiver to a ridiculous $250K. I like DL, but enough is enough
When AA introduced their loyalty points system I was skeptical. I will say that, if you use their credit card, it works pretty darn well. Cancelling my DL AMEX and moving all of my business over to UA and AA. Never thought in a million years I would ever say that, but here we are.”

Followed a couple hours later by, “The stupidity of this [the change in MQDs I assume] is mind-numbing. But, hey, maybe I'm wrong and people will keep chasing one-sided loyalty for a free cocktail and the occasional upgrade.”

I too was wondering why you’d chase MQD if you’re leaving DL. Maybe you changed your mind though. I change my mind all the time 😀

Last edited by El Boocho; Oct 18, 2022 at 9:52 pm
Old Oct 19, 2022, 10:58 am

Originally Posted by El Boocho
Question might have been based on your post in a different recent thread where you said, “Ar revior [sic] Delta.

This is the straw the broke the camel's back for me. A 33% increase in required MQDs to hit DM is yet another kick in the groin that started with the devaluation of SkyPesos and continued with the increase of the DM MQD waiver to a ridiculous $250K. I like DL, but enough is enough
When AA introduced their loyalty points system I was skeptical. I will say that, if you use their credit card, it works pretty darn well. Cancelling my DL AMEX and moving all of my business over to UA and AA. Never thought in a million years I would ever say that, but here we are.”

Followed a couple hours later by, “The stupidity of this [the change in MQDs I assume] is mind-numbing. But, hey, maybe I'm wrong and people will keep chasing one-sided loyalty for a free cocktail and the occasional upgrade.”

I too was wondering why you’d chase MQD if you’re leaving DL. Maybe you changed your mind though. I change my mind all the time 😀

Well, I guess we could focus on calling people out with gotchas or thinking through things, exploring options and adding to the discussion or we could provide people with information that helps them sort through the noise and think about what choice is best for them. (this is a general observation and not an attack on you, @El Boocho - I make a point to try and avoid attacking people personally on FT as it adds no value to the conversation). There is a vocal minority of folks on FT (not you, @El Boocho) who seem to think they are the only ones who have relevant POVs.

Right now I have top-tier published status on all three legacy carriers. I already hit AA and UA 2023 qualification requirements and am doing the calculus to see if it makes sense to shoot for DM on DL this year and see how the program plays out in 2023 or just walk away now and not worry about / only fly DL when AA and UA can't provide what I need when I need it. I may make sense, and it may not. I may think it's worth doing it today and something may change tomorrow that will cause me to rethink my decision tomorrow. That's the funny thing about life. Finding a potential option that could lower the cost for me to keep my status may change what I do and I am always open to revisiting a decision when presented with new information.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.