Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Don't Fly Delta

Search this Thread

Old Oct 15, 2022, 2:50 pm
Original Poster

Angry Don't Fly Delta

When I was young and growing up in the South, there was a certain pride in Delta, which had its origins in Atlanta. We figured we could show all those big boys from New York City how it’s done down in the South.

Flash forward to 2022. My humble, no-status economy transcontinental seat came with no power in the overhead panel! So that we couldn’t turn on overhead lights and sat in darkness for most of the entirety of a 5-hour journey to New York. That was not the only thing that didn’t work on my IFE controls. Conveniently we couldn’t call for a flight attendant to inform them of numerous problems, like a useless USB port that was just a hole in plastic casing. The IFE itself had to be rebooted three times and, even then, the flight tracker was the only comedy worth watching as the moving map would randomly jump to Africa or Saipan.

When we finally managed to flag down a steward his reaction was basically he couldn’t care less. When you are running a business, employee ennui is a fatal sign. Delta’s air and ground crews seemed very dispirited, as if life hadn’t turned out as hoped and, hey, this is a job I need. Though I grew up in the South, let me say there is nothing that sounds stupider than stupidity done with an Atlanta drawl.

I have yet to describe the most egregious features of this Trip. For this transcontinental route, Delta mostly flies aged 767-300s. (For one thing it means this airline does not have funds to invest in capital stock.) The thing you must remember about the 767 is that even though the interior cabin had been updated, for structural reasons the middle overhead bins could not, the updating there consisting of the equivalent of a new coat of paint. Delta’s economy cabin in a 767 is configured as a 2-3-2, meaning for 43% of the economy seats it sells, those passengers will NOT be able to fit a normal-size carry on above their seats. No wonder on the morning of the flight we suddenly receive an “offer” from Delta to check in our carry on for “free.” Beware airlines suddenly foregoing a $30 fee.

We take partial responsibility for not having planned this trip well. We were heading to our freshwoman daughter’s Parents Weekend and made the mistakes of: i/ Flying Delta; ii/ transiting through JFK; and, iii/ not building in enough of a time lag before our connection. Our juvenile jokes in youth included saying when you fail your driving test three times, they allow you to become a taxi driver. Four times? A bus driver. Now we wonder if you fail five times whether they allow you to design Air Traffic Control around JFK? Our flight was delayed due to, you guessed It, ATC. We actually made up all the time en route because we had a demon tailwind, but the approach to land at JFK was delayed because of, you guessed it, ATC. Originally my connecting flight was supposed to be close to my landing gate. By the time we arrived, it was in another concourse. We missed our connection.

Experienced travelers will know what happened next, as we queued up for Delta’s “service” desk. Because it was ATC, Delta took no responsibility but to book me on the next morning’s flight. I always wonder about the massive reparation claims that must be coming in to ATC and to that other major culprit, Weather. For ATC alone it must be enough to build another new JFK. The clubby regulatory environment the US airlines have set up must be the envy of other industries, eg pharmaceuticals. To be able to invent bogeymen like ATC (ie, your regulator) amd Weather (God) to palm off responsibility (and get federal pandemic relief to boot) must see airline CEOs chuckling themselves to sleep every night.

So $460 poorer for a hotel stay I didn’t need and 1/3 of my daughter’s college weekend wrecked later, what else do I have to complain about?

Don’t Fly Delta.
Ghoulish likes this.
Old Oct 15, 2022, 3:13 pm

Well, I hate to break the news to you but nothing in your post would make me quit flying an airline. It looks to me like you’re landing and takeoffs are equal which is the goal

There’s nothing you posted out here that couldn’t havr happened on another airline. Oh and by the way in 2022 they are flight attendants
Old Oct 15, 2022, 3:31 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta SkySponge ExtraAbsorbent, SPG Gold
I'm not sure where you got the idea that the center overhead bins on the 767-300 weren't changed. The entire cabin from nose to tail was outfitted with a new interior with BSI style pivot bins a few years ago.
Old Oct 15, 2022, 3:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, Hyatt something
Well, when you book, make sure not to choose airports that are known trouble spots. I wouldn't book JFK without a very long connection, if at all.

I book travel for all my family, and even my ex-wife. I wouldn’t even book her through JFK unless I was really mad at her.

If I’m flying domestic coach, I prefer Southwest these days. First class usually American, Alaska or United, usually award flights. I try to bring my own entertainment, and have my devices fully charged.
Old Oct 15, 2022, 3:46 pm

IBTL. Nice rant. Freshwoman, lol.
Old Oct 15, 2022, 3:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM & 2MM™, Lifetime HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by Passages
Delta, which had its origins in Atlanta.
Delta had its origins in Monroe, LA.
Old Oct 15, 2022, 4:21 pm

Programs: A3*G, LH FTL, VS Red, Avis Preferred, Hertz President's Circle, (RIP Diamond Club)
Deleted: duplicate post
Old Oct 15, 2022, 4:23 pm

Programs: A3*G, LH FTL, VS Red, Avis Preferred, Hertz President's Circle, (RIP Diamond Club)
This week’s “I had a rubbish flight and now everyone in the known universe should boycott that airline” thread. The sooner this is locked the better.

Better yet, looks like OP joined FT just to post this rant.
Old Oct 15, 2022, 4:27 pm

Programs: DL PM, Hyatt Globalist

When we finally managed to flag down a steward his reaction was basically he couldn’t care less.

Don’t Fly Delta.
Lost all respectability with "steward." I really hope you feel better and get help.

Welcome to Flyertalk!!!
Old Oct 15, 2022, 4:28 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum Medallion, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond, Hertz President Circle
When I was young and growing up in the South, there was a certain pride in Delta, which had its origins in Atlanta. We figured we could show all those big boys from New York City how it’s done down in the South.

Flash forward to 2022. My humble, no-status economy transcontinental seat came with no power in the overhead panel! So that we couldn’t turn on overhead lights and sat in darkness for most of the entirety of a 5-hour journey to New York. That was not the only thing that didn’t work on my IFE controls. Conveniently we couldn’t call for a flight attendant to inform them of numerous problems, like a useless USB port that was just a hole in plastic casing. The IFE itself had to be rebooted three times and, even then, the flight tracker was the only comedy worth watching as the moving map would randomly jump to Africa or Saipan.

When we finally managed to flag down a steward his reaction was basically he couldn’t care less. When you are running a business, employee ennui is a fatal sign. Delta’s air and ground crews seemed very dispirited, as if life hadn’t turned out as hoped and, hey, this is a job I need. Though I grew up in the South, let me say there is nothing that sounds stupider than stupidity done with an Atlanta drawl.

I have yet to describe the most egregious features of this Trip. For this transcontinental route, Delta mostly flies aged 767-300s. (For one thing it means this airline does not have funds to invest in capital stock.) The thing you must remember about the 767 is that even though the interior cabin had been updated, for structural reasons the middle overhead bins could not, the updating there consisting of the equivalent of a new coat of paint. Delta’s economy cabin in a 767 is configured as a 2-3-2, meaning for 43% of the economy seats it sells, those passengers will NOT be able to fit a normal-size carry on above their seats. No wonder on the morning of the flight we suddenly receive an “offer” from Delta to check in our carry on for “free.” Beware airlines suddenly foregoing a $30 fee.

We take partial responsibility for not having planned this trip well. We were heading to our freshwoman daughter’s Parents Weekend and made the mistakes of: i/ Flying Delta; ii/ transiting through JFK; and, iii/ not building in enough of a time lag before our connection. Our juvenile jokes in youth included saying when you fail your driving test three times, they allow you to become a taxi driver. Four times? A bus driver. Now we wonder if you fail five times whether they allow you to design Air Traffic Control around JFK? Our flight was delayed due to, you guessed It, ATC. We actually made up all the time en route because we had a demon tailwind, but the approach to land at JFK was delayed because of, you guessed it, ATC. Originally my connecting flight was supposed to be close to my landing gate. By the time we arrived, it was in another concourse. We missed our connection.

Experienced travelers will know what happened next, as we queued up for Delta’s “service” desk. Because it was ATC, Delta took no responsibility but to book me on the next morning’s flight. I always wonder about the massive reparation claims that must be coming in to ATC and to that other major culprit, Weather. For ATC alone it must be enough to build another new JFK. The clubby regulatory environment the US airlines have set up must be the envy of other industries, eg pharmaceuticals. To be able to invent bogeymen like ATC (ie, your regulator) amd Weather (God) to palm off responsibility (and get federal pandemic relief to boot) must see airline CEOs chuckling themselves to sleep every night.

So $460 poorer for a hotel stay I didn’t need and 1/3 of my daughter’s college weekend wrecked later, what else do I have to complain about?

Don’t Fly Delta.
You are obviously a rookie flyer so I will edumacate you! Do you really think you were the only flight delayed that day? You said it yourself, you had "a demon tail wind". Planes from the west were probably arriving ahead of schedule into the NY area. Therefore, ATC put a ground hold on your flight and maybe even a hold enroute to clear the traffic in the area. If you flew AA you probably would have had the same result. Delta has no control of the weather nor does ATC. They can only work with it.

Last edited by SH115; Oct 15, 2022 at 5:24 pm Reason: Punctuation
Old Oct 15, 2022, 4:37 pm

Programs: Marriott Gold, AmEx Plat, Agnostic on Airline Programs
Though I grew up in the South, let me say there is nothing that sounds stupider than stupidity done with an Atlanta drawl..
I grew up in the Mid-Atlantic, but this take on "stupidity" is ironically one of the stupidest--as well as blatantly offensive--takes I've read on FT in a while.

Dude, the world doesn't revolve around you. Take your rage elsewhere.
Old Oct 15, 2022, 4:42 pm

I think you are all being trolled!
Old Oct 15, 2022, 4:58 pm

Programs: AA, DL Platinum, AS, AF/KL, UA, VS, HA, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz Presidents Circle
Agree with most others. While you have had issues and some that are arguably valid, going as far to say you won't use this business any more is a bit over the top. I've had crap experiences with DL before but even so, and after reading your post, I'm still going to be flying DL.
Old Oct 15, 2022, 5:16 pm

Don't let the door hit you on the way out.

And, the grass is not always greener on the other side of the fence, unless it is from the septic tank! (to paraphrase Erma Bombeck)
Old Oct 15, 2022, 5:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Back in Reds Country (DAY/CVG). Previously: SEA & SAT.
Programs: DL PM 1MM, AA PLAT, UA Silver, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.