Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Downgrade from Delta one to first class

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Downgrade from Delta one to first class

Search this Thread

Old Oct 8, 2022, 12:55 pm

Programs: Bonvoy (Titanium) . Delta (Platinum)
Originally Posted by flyerCO
It's the marketing. Problem is BOG goes back and forth between D1 and FC.

Also if you bought using LATAM codeshare number, upgrades can only occur DoD, regardless of status level.
I understand there may a marketing issue but regardless of that confusion, on every flight it needs to be one or the other. They don’t presently sell both products at the same time on any individual segment . It’s now being sold as FC. And if you look that seems true now from November onward. This seems confirmed by a post earlier in this thread. So it seems I should be able to request the upgrade, correct?

BOG-ATL (and an onward domestic leg ATL-MSY FWIW) is listed on my LATAM PNR and my DL PNR with DL flight numbers. The reservation showed up on my Delta account and my upgrade request to Comfort+ on ATL-BOG-MSY was allowed (and immediately cleared). And I am on the list for a first class upgrade on the ATL-MSY domestic segment. So nothing suggests the LATAM ticketing is the issue. The only issue I see is that the BOG-ATL product changed (from D1 to First) but I can’t request an upgrade like I could had I bought the ticket today.

Last edited by defiance96; Oct 8, 2022 at 1:01 pm
Old Oct 8, 2022, 1:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by defiance96
I understand that may be the problem Delta created, but on every flight it needs to be one or the other. They don’t presently sell both products at the same time . It’s now being sold as FC. And if you look that seems true now from November onward. This seems confirmed by a post earlier in this thread. So it seems I should be able to request the upgrade, correct?

BOG-ATL (and an onward domestic leg ATL-MSY FWIW) is listed on my LATAM PNR and my DL PNR with DL flight numbers. The reservation showed up on my Delta account and my upgrade request to Comfort+ on ATL-BOG was allowed (and immediately cleared). And I am on the list for a first class upgrade on the ATL-MSY domestic segment. So nothing suggests the LATAM ticketing is the issue. The only issue I see is that the product changed (from D1 to First) but I can’t request an upgrade like I could had I bought the ticket today.
I think you're misunderstanding.

The flight goes back and forth, so neither agents, nor computer are always up to date.

If it's sold as F then, yes eligible for upgrades. However, again as it goes back and forth the system may not be setup correctly. BOG has gone from F to D1 and back again to F, at least three times that im aware of in 2 years.

Ticketing has zero to do with medallion upgrades. Marketing of the flight does. If bought with a DL code eligible for window upgrades. If buy with a partner code (LA, AF, KL, VS, etc) then only DoD upgrades, even if on a DL ticket.
Old Oct 8, 2022, 1:21 pm

I think you're misunderstanding.

The flight goes back and forth, so neither agents, nor computer are always up to date.

If it's sold as F then, yes eligible for upgrades. However, again as it goes back and forth the system may not be setup correctly. BOG has gone from F to D1 and back again to F, at least three times that im aware of in 2 years.

Ticketing has zero to do with medallion upgrades. Marketing of the flight does. If bought with a DL code eligible for window upgrades. If buy with a partner code (LA, AF, KL, VS, etc) then only DoD upgrades, even if on a DL ticket.
Well on the ticketing/marketing issue: Based on your explanation clearly what I bought was marketed as a DL flight , because otherwise I couldn’t have gotten my C+ upgrade processed already and I should be eligible for first window upgrades . Correct?

As to the “back and forth” issue: Whatever history has happened It’s been changed now . Pick any DL980 ATL-BOG flight in November 2022 and you’ll see it’s now all First. When should I expect the “computers” to be up to date ? For someone buying a ticket today it seems it’s already possible to request the upgrade, so I’m just concerned that I may be stuck in an unconsidered situation where the button the request an upgrade to first, which I couldn’t do before the product change, simply won’t appear.

Last edited by defiance96; Oct 8, 2022 at 1:27 pm
Old Oct 8, 2022, 2:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by defiance96
Well on the ticketing/marketing issue: Based on your explanation clearly what I bought was marketed as a DL flight , because otherwise I couldn’t have gotten my C+ upgrade processed already and I should be eligible for first window upgrades . Correct?

As to the “back and forth” issue: Whatever history has happened It’s been changed now . Pick any DL980 ATL-BOG flight in November 2022 and you’ll see it’s now all First. When should I expect the “computers” to be up to date ? For someone buying a ticket today it seems it’s already possible to request the upgrade, so I’m just concerned that I may be stuck in an unconsidered situation where the button the request an upgrade to first, which I couldn’t do before the product change, simply won’t appear.
The system needs to be told its an eligible flight. I'm not sure how this is done exactly. However you're not the 1st that has had this issue on BOG.
defiance96 likes this.
Old Oct 8, 2022, 2:28 pm

Programs: I've gone underground!
Bless the poor reservations agents… I couldn’t do their job.
Old Oct 8, 2022, 3:29 pm

The system needs to be told its an eligible flight. I'm not sure how this is done exactly. However you're not the 1st that has had this issue on BOG.
And I brought this point up to the manager I spoke with. Im sure it’s a bunch of passengers , both experiencing downgrades, but also people like me otherwise eligible to be considered for possible upgrades. I’m not optimistic about a resolution , but I’ll report back if I hear anything. I have a about a month
flyerCO likes this.
Old Jan 27, 2024, 3:05 pm

Programs: DL DM; AS 75K; Marriott Titanium Elite
Downgraded from paid D1 on 75S to regular first class on a 75D on tonight’s LAX-BOS redeye…sigh. Curious about compensation.
Old Jan 27, 2024, 4:25 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum; Hilton Diamond; Marriot Gold
Originally Posted by flightline87
Downgraded from paid D1 on 75S to regular first class on a 75D on tonight’s LAX-BOS redeye…sigh. Curious about compensation.
can they route you LAX-JFK-BOS?
Old Jan 27, 2024, 6:03 pm

Programs: DL DM; AS 75K; Marriott Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by Pianoman109876
can they route you LAX-JFK-BOS?
Only with a 3.5 hour layover in JFK. Not worth it.
Old Jan 27, 2024, 6:17 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Only with a 3.5 hour layover in JFK. Not worth it.
How about JetBlue?
Old Jan 27, 2024, 6:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

I thought LAX-BOS was only F even if on a 75S? Is it just SFO/BOS that is no longer D1?
Old Jan 27, 2024, 6:48 pm

Programs: DL PM, OZ Diamond Plus, BA Silver
Tonight's B6 redeye is showing $1168 for Mint... I might just cancel and rebook if DL isn't willing to put you on B6
Old Jan 28, 2024, 9:09 am

Programs: DL Gold, UA Gold, B6 Mosaic, Marriott Gold
I thought LAX-BOS was only F even if on a 75S? Is it just SFO/BOS that is no longer D1?
LAX has always been D1. SFO was cut when they moved it over to the A321neo in 2022, and UA dropped their premium offering on the route.
Old Jan 29, 2024, 11:50 am

Programs: Flying Blue, Hilton Honors, Amtrak Guest Rewards
Originally Posted by BostonPlanesAndTrains
LAX has always been D1. SFO was cut when they moved it over to the A321neo in 2022, and UA dropped their premium offering on the route.
SFO was dropped to F years ago (at the latest, 2019), operated by 757s before the neos.
Old Jan 29, 2024, 5:15 pm

Programs: Flying Blue Platinum; Marriott Bonvoy Platinum; Hilton Gold
Got SFO-JFK red-eye D1->FC equipment swap (was during thanksgiving so no way to re-route): we got $500 voucher proactively + refund of fare difference between D1 and FC (requested online).
Awkward was that it took about ~ 30min in the app to reflect the equipment swap after I got the $500 voucher so I was left wondering what did I get that for for a moment, lol.

On opposite note, had a few months back booked SJC-SLC-BOS in FC (red-eye), resulting in changing it to SJC-LAX-JFK-BOS in FC/D1 (yes, there were less complex / faster itineraries but had flat-bed preference )

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.