Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Sky Club Rant

Search this Thread

Old Aug 10, 2022, 8:33 pm

Programs: Delta DM, United Silver, Marriott LT Platinum, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by TomMM
Term F can be quite if you turn left coming off the escalator.
Yeah if I have time I will go to F at ATL. Last time I was there it was pretty quiet.
Old Aug 10, 2022, 8:36 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta DM MM, HH Diamond, Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador Elite, TSA Pre-Check
I got a few F Spots I like to find when open........and E can be even better depending on the time of the day. Sadly I tried to move away from this group in the club today but the A Club was so crowded there was nowhere to go.
Old Aug 10, 2022, 8:41 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by SUPERTRAVEL
Maybe they should put a DJ in there.
Delta pax must be indicating that's what's wanted by filling the silence with their cacophony.

It's called "market research" lol.
SUPERTRAVEL likes this.

Last edited by Ghoulish; Aug 10, 2022 at 8:50 pm
Old Aug 10, 2022, 8:45 pm

Programs: Delta DM, United Silver, Marriott LT Platinum, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by turkeyRIOO
how can it be a club without a DJ?
Someone reported there was a DJ at the DFW SkyClub about a week ago.
Old Aug 11, 2022, 8:11 am

Programs: Delta DM, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, National EE, AS MVP Gold 75K, AC 75K
During pandemic, they ok with blasting an announcement about wearing your mask. They should do the same thing about wearing headphones, indoor voice, and not running around like a hooligan.... ..I sound like my grade 3 teacher.
Old Aug 11, 2022, 11:00 am

Programs: AS MVPG, Hyatt Globalist
Someone smarter than me can probably explain this better, but I do think there's a combination of decor and cultural explanations that come into play here.

We spent an absurdly long time in the Biz-class lounge in Qatar a few months back, and it was essentially whisper-quiet the whole time. Helped by the fact that they have multiple "family areas", but also I think by the overall ambiance of the space. I've had similar experience in lounges in the EU. Perhaps a cultural expectation, but when you're in a lounge that feels more like a church or library, you're more likely to behave like you're in one.

Also, as someone who both travels alone, and with kids, family areas are such a godsend on both types of trips. We work heard to teach our kids how to behave in adult environments like a lounge. But it's such a nice treat to find a closed-off family area where we don't have to constantly remind them to walk slowly, and use their library-voices. On the list of "things that cost lounges money" - a small glass room with a door, some beanbags and a TV showing kids shows doesn't seem like it'd be high on the list, and has a serious benefit for everyone involved.
Spiff, kavok, wrp96 and 2 others like this.
Old Aug 11, 2022, 12:11 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium, Hilton and Wyndham Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Delta Plat, United Silver, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by TomMM
Term F can be quite if you turn left coming off the escalator.
Quite loud or quite quiet?
FabCW likes this.
Old Aug 11, 2022, 1:15 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by atourgates
Someone smarter than me can probably explain this better, but I do think there's a combination of decor and cultural explanations that come into play here.

We spent an absurdly long time in the Biz-class lounge in Qatar a few months back, and it was essentially whisper-quiet the whole time. Helped by the fact that they have multiple "family areas", but also I think by the overall ambiance of the space. I've had similar experience in lounges in the EU. Perhaps a cultural expectation, but when you're in a lounge that feels more like a church or library, you're more likely to behave like you're in one.

Also, as someone who both travels alone, and with kids, family areas are such a godsend on both types of trips. We work heard to teach our kids how to behave in adult environments like a lounge. But it's such a nice treat to find a closed-off family area where we don't have to constantly remind them to walk slowly, and use their library-voices. On the list of "things that cost lounges money" - a small glass room with a door, some beanbags and a TV showing kids shows doesn't seem like it'd be high on the list, and has a serious benefit for everyone involved.
The problem is that these family rooms often are just costly wasted space because families don't use them even when the kids are extremely disruptive.
Old Aug 11, 2022, 4:59 pm

Originally Posted by CVFDCHIEF180
I got a few F Spots I like to find when open........and E can be even better depending on the time of the day. Sadly I tried to move away from this group in the club today but the A Club was so crowded there was nowhere to go.

E generally is my worst experience. It’s the one where the guy decided he would get out his guitar and do a concert. I will give staff credit when it was reported to them they came back and told him to put his guitar back in his bag and shut up

Any he has less talent than I do, and I would never ever dream of giving a concert in public😂
Singleflyer, photojojo and alggag like this.
Old Aug 11, 2022, 6:24 pm

Programs: Delta, United
Originally Posted by readywhenyouare
Could Delta not hire some retired Catholic nun schoolteachers to walk around with a ruler and whack these imbeciles?
Spiff and SUPERTRAVEL like this.
Old Aug 11, 2022, 7:44 pm

Programs: Blinged Out
Don’t worry… I’ll bet no DJ spinning could be as loud as those incessant loud mask wearing announcements during covid…
Old Aug 11, 2022, 7:47 pm

Programs: DL 3MM, US 972k (AA 0.0k), Marriott Lifetime Gold, Hertz G, Nurburgring in 8:29
Originally Posted by Orange County Commuter
Don’t you understand that if some of your fellow travelers don’t make a loud announcement while on the phone you don’t understand how important they are.
I used to listen to Bob and Tom a loooong time ago and one day I heard their bit character Kenny Tarmac call in. IYKYK.

It struck so close to home and grated my nerves so much I haven't listened to it since.
Old Aug 11, 2022, 7:58 pm

Programs: DL PM, BA Gold, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Gold, Radisson Premium, Global Entry, CLEAR
People really aren’t aware of their surroundings, I was in the back corner of the JAX SkyClub several months ago which is supposed to be a quiet zone but this dude with his ringer on full blast and practically yelling into the phone had other plans.

Before June I hadn’t traveled internationally since 2017 but I took a trip to South Africa on KLM and Air France this past June and was taken aback when I got to the KLM lounge in AMS, it was slam packed in there but it was still so quiet. I thought to myself is this real or is this an alternate universe? On the way home I flew AF, got to the AF lounge in Hall M at CDG at 6AM after my red eye from JNB landed. I was one of four people when I got to the lounge, went straight to the relaxation area and took about a 2hr nap since I got no sleep on the flight, woke up to the lounge slam packed and the volume level was very comparable and I was yet again shocked…
Old Aug 11, 2022, 8:44 pm

Programs: AA,DL,F9,UA,WN
Originally Posted by turkeyRIOO
how can it be a club without a DJ?
That's what I'm saying!

Originally Posted by matchbox20_is
I laughed so hard at this. Thank you, friend!
LOL, you're welcome.
I was poking fun at the recently-closed thread where a group was complaining about a DJ in the DFW Skyclub.
matchbox20_is likes this.
Old Aug 11, 2022, 10:11 pm

Programs: DL PM. 1MM
Originally Posted by matchbox20_is
Someone reported there was a DJ at the DFW SkyClub about a week ago.
Oh my. I should be in DFW lounge next week and the week after for a couple trips. Looking forward to the DJ...Do they take requests?
SUPERTRAVEL likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.