Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Delta to GVA

Search this Thread

Old Jul 23, 2022, 1:42 am
Original Poster

Delta to GVA

Has DL ever flown to GVA? At the moment there are 4 transatlantic options direct from GVA which is UA(EWR & IAD), AC (YUL) and LX (JFK). All star alliance, when GVA is not really a connection hub.
It seems there is a market there so why doesn’t DL tap into it? (Or even American for that matter)
does anyone know if they ever have or could plan to do so in future?
Old Jul 23, 2022, 5:20 am

Programs: DL; AA; UA; CO; LHLX; NZ; QR; EK; BA
Yes, Delta used to serve GVA when they first inherited Pan Am’s European routes in 1991. However they dropped it (amongst others) a few years later (can’t remember when exactly).

Switzerland is difficult for an airline like Delta with no partner on the European end; Switzerland is essentially Star Alliance territory, and given its small size and status as an “expensive” tourist destination (hence small market), it’s unlikely Delta can expand much there.
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Jul 23, 2022, 6:59 am

Originally Posted by ClipperDelta
Yes, Delta used to serve GVA when they first inherited Pan Am’s European routes in 1991. However they dropped it (amongst others) a few years later (can’t remember when exactly).

Switzerland is difficult for an airline like Delta with no partner on the European end; Switzerland is essentially Star Alliance territory, and given its small size and status as an “expensive” tourist destination (hence small market), it’s unlikely Delta can expand much there.
I am also pretty sure Delta had plans for GVA (IIRC from JFK) pre-COVID with a 757. It along with BOS-MAN and BOS/JFK-LGW were dropped and so far haven't see the light of day again.
Old Jul 23, 2022, 7:42 am

Programs: Delta DM, Hyatt Globalist, AA Plat
Originally Posted by kvg01
Has DL ever flown to GVA? At the moment there are 4 transatlantic options direct from GVA which is UA(EWR & IAD), AC (YUL) and LX (JFK). All star alliance, when GVA is not really a connection hub.
It seems there is a market there so why doesn’t DL tap into it? (Or even American for that matter)
does anyone know if they ever have or could plan to do so in future?
NYC based. My last three trips to Switzerland, I've flown into Zurich and trained it to Vaud. You can take the train all the way from ZRH to GVA without transferring. IMHO, much easier than transiting via LHR or other hubs, though Swiss flies directly to GVA (or used to?).
beachmouse and catmndu like this.
Old Jul 23, 2022, 7:43 am

Programs: Flying Blue Gold, BA Bronze, Ex-skywards Platnium

Agree with the points above. The LX A330 from JFK-GVA is barely half full on a regular basis, but there's always one or two people flying in F. A large reason why this flight exists is to facilitate travel between the UN headquarters/offices in New York and Geneva.
MSPeconomist and hhdl like this.
Old Jul 23, 2022, 12:46 pm

Programs: Delta 2M DM, Southwest A List and CP
After that, DL code-shared for years on the Swissair 111 flight JFK-GVA until Swissair's end of life in 2001 or 2002.
Old Jul 23, 2022, 4:11 pm

Programs: DL DM; AFKL FBE; ITA Exec
Other than to NY, which is very much for full fare J tickets the only way to be feasible, GVA has always been tricky for transatlantic carriers. IMO, it's too close to the gravitational pull of ZHR, CDG and even others to offer much possibility. Perhaps with the 321XLR a few could make it work, but to where? GVA, like LYS, has business, but it is very EU centric, making connections to the Americas less important and viable.
I do recall the DL-SR flights will affection: there was always at least one DL cabin crew on board, as was done with SN back in the days. Had so many of these when I was a young grad student going to university in the US and returning home to BRU or being sent to GVA for research collaborations. Nostalgia aside, I don't see how they could make it work, which is a pity, as Geneva Is a very fine city to visit and live in, in its own right.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.