Wiki Posts
Search

Thinking of finally leaving Delta

Search this Thread

Old Jul 24, 2022, 9:28 am
Suspended
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Delta Gold Medallion, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond
Star Alliance or OneWorld while keeping ATL as your home base? You're in for a bad time and bad awakening if you're not going to relocate + change your name.
Originally Posted by jtatlanta
Thanks for all the responses that added value by offering fact based opinion. This was the intent of my post to see what I was missing specifically between BA and Delta.

Seems like Star Alliance also worth looking at before jumping.
DrMilano likes this.
Old Jul 24, 2022, 9:33 am

Programs: Delta Death March, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Plat, Marriott/Hilton Gold Life
Thanks for all the responses that added value by offering fact based opinion. This was the intent of my post to see what I was missing specifically between BA and Delta.

I did about 550k miles on Continental pre-United, so if I go back over, I'm only a couple good years from million mile (as if).
Star in Europe is excellent - I absolutely love the SAS lounges (hope they're updated after bankruptcy)
However, United out of Atlanta and Minneapolis (not to mention the EWR debacle) are terrrrrrriiiiiiiible.
Old Jul 24, 2022, 10:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by scubadu
I'm curious if you recognize the irony, that in trying to be cute, you posted a link to a clip of a song which asserted that America would "go back" to England/Great Britain. But... of course... it actually didn't... so not sure how that supports your thesis...

Regards
I mean, do you also think Zorak was claiming Delta was going to kill your friends and family?
hhdl likes this.
Old Jul 24, 2022, 10:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by lindros2
Please don't torch/flame me, but we flew Spirit RT from ATL to ACY (avoiding Newark) this weekend and it was exceptional.
I'm tired of Delta domestically - late, rude FA's, nasty pilot/captains (to me personally, not the plane), and failed service recovery.

Yeah, Spirit is cheap (not inexpensive, but low rent). Carry on? $68. Checked bag? $74. Early boarding? $35. And so on.
Seat recline? Forget about it.

But you know what? We boarded super early. Airbus A319 is a great small plane (I've flown them mostly in Europe; Delta's are ooooold).
Flight attendants? Pleasant. Early both ways - even in bad weather.

The other passengers are kind of dodgey - we had a mix of drunk people and people without a lot of cash.
Pre-pandemic Spirit had improved its on-time performance substantially, to the point I might have considered it, especially in a big front seat or exit row (I think seat pitch is 28" elsewhere . But I'm pretty sure they've fallen quite a bit in the operational stats since the recovery. I just don't want to risk IRROPS because of the lack of recovery options. Also, if you do need to check a bag (which I thought was usually cheaper than a cabin bag), expect a good chance of a long line.

(And FWIW, I've had 4 great cabin crews in a row on DL in F over the past month).
Old Jul 24, 2022, 1:28 pm

Programs: Delta Death March, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Plat, Marriott/Hilton Gold Life
Originally Posted by ijgordon
Pre-pandemic Spirit had improved its on-time performance substantially, to the point I might have considered it, especially in a big front seat or exit row (I think seat pitch is 28" elsewhere . But I'm pretty sure they've fallen quite a bit in the operational stats since the recovery. I just don't want to risk IRROPS because of the lack of recovery options. Also, if you do need to check a bag (which I thought was usually cheaper than a cabin bag), expect a good chance of a long line.

(And FWIW, I've had 4 great cabin crews in a row on DL in F over the past month).
oh and right after I typed this, my family (sans me) had both ATL >> CHI (first MDW, then ORD) cancelled today...
Old Jul 24, 2022, 8:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by lindros2
oh and right after I typed this, my family (sans me) had both ATL >> CHI (first MDW, then ORD) cancelled today...
That’s why I try to look at data not anecdotes.
PanAmSam likes this.
Old Jul 24, 2022, 10:34 pm

Programs: UA GS>1K>Nothing; DL DM 2MM; AS 75K>Nothing>MVP
Bottom line... How do I get to where I want to go as fast as possible in the best seat at the lowest possible price. Loyalty is a lot less important variable in this equation than it used to be.
Old Jul 25, 2022, 4:24 am

Programs: DL 3MM, US 972k (AA 0.0k), Marriott Lifetime Gold, Hertz G, Nurburgring in 8:29
Unrelated yet slightly related... I've been trying to book my first trip since 1998 on United.com and holy snots; I will never - ever - again speak negatively of DL.com again.

The grass ain't always greener.
PanAmSam likes this.
Old Jul 25, 2022, 6:54 am

Originally Posted by ijgordon
That’s why I try to look at data not anecdotes.
In case I forgot the most important part - ATL to Chicago on Delta was cancelled...
Terrible situation, too...
Old Jul 25, 2022, 7:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Numerous flights cancelled into Chicago yesterday morning as thunderstorms were rolling through. It wasn't just DL . https://flightaware.com/live/airport...ed_destination
PanAmSam likes this.
Old Jul 25, 2022, 9:41 am

Originally Posted by sydneyracquelle
I am flying more and more SW domestically and enjoying it these days.
Honestly, if I am doing a short flight where I can't justify buying F, I think I might prefer SW these days. We flew it for a short flight this weekend and it was super efficient. It left on time (not a single Delta flight has left on time for me this summer), the crew was great, the pilot was great. I think I even like the lining up part. I pay th $15 fee to guarantee a spot in the first group and it is so painless. Nobody crowds the gate. There is no crush of people trying to merge at the last minute. Everyone just sits until they say "line up" about 5 minutes before boarding. Everything is orderly. You get on knowing there will be easy overhead space since you are in the first group.

When flying economy on Delta, I often pick an Exit row over my free Comfort plus upgrade. So I am often boarding with the Sky group, but they forget to call it half the time. I am left in that awkward position of trying to decide if I should just board with Comfort+ and risking being rejected or chastised by the gate agent, or risking boarding with Main 1 and not finding overhead space near my seat. There is also the crowding of the gate and lack of a normal line at most airports, where everyone is jockeying to merge in front of you. And like I said, Delta hasn't been on time for a single flight for me this summer.

Frankly, SW was just easy and efficient. The plane was actually nicer and cleaner than a few Delta planes I have flown on recently too.

I usually buy first outright for anything longer than two hours, and would still prefer Delta in those cases, but I think I will default to SW for my short for awhile. I wish Delta would find some way to make boarding more efficient and orderly. I am not sure what it is, but I am sure there is a better way, even with reserved seats. Heck, maybe assign line spots based on class and status, with a Sky Priority lane for first to be used at any time (they don't even seem to use those lanes most of the time now). Or have dedicated lines for each boarding group like KLM uses. I would also welcome the day where they charge for crayons for economy, unless you have status. I think people worrying about finding a spot is a big part of the problem.
audidudi, ryw and DCAhome like this.
Old Jul 25, 2022, 10:12 am

Originally Posted by Duke787
+100000. If you are buying D1, just take the carrier you like the best and stop chasing status.

Also just a few thoughts on this:
  • Google "LHR" or "Heathrow" and then decide if you really want to have that be your primary connection point (admittedly AMS isn't much better)
  • Let me know if those non-existent BA upgrade instruments are worth any more than the DL GUCs
  • Check out those fuel surcharges that go with BA Avios redemptions -- they aren't pretty
Yep. My wife and I individually signed up for AAdvantage credit cards as they were offering the best sign-up bonus at the time and we were paying for wedding stuff. Booked a trip to Europe when it was all said and done. Ended up being on BA metal for all segments (ORD-LHR-KRK and MUC-LHR-ORD) and we paid several hundred for our "award tickets" due to those fuel surcharges (and this was in 2019). AA customer service was sympathetic and let us know we could book AA metal for the TATL flights to save some of that cost. We ultimately stuck with the all BA itinerary for convenience purposes but won't forget the experience.
Old Jul 25, 2022, 1:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond

I would take *A over OW just about any day if Europe is your typical destination.

The OW folks are going to tell you that OW is better because OWE gives you F lounge access while *A tops out at J/*G lounge access (depending on airport and what is actually there). The big drawback IMO is back to the LHR is your primary connection point into Europe piece.

Yes you could go via MAD or HEL but that's not really all that realistic, you are basically either on AA metal or are connecting on BA via LHR and you still are stuck with the fuel surcharges.

Benefits of *G in Europe is that you have a TON of different connection points (FRA, MUC, ZRH, GVA, YYZ, YUL, BRU, VIE, IST) and a lot more flexibility in mid-tier to upper tier airlines (LH group, UA of course, Air Canada, TK). Award redemptions vary but at least on UA while mileage can range (same as DL) they only pass along taxes/fees no fuel surcharges.

The biggest challenge (same as with AA) is that you are based at ATL you go from direct (or single-stop) flights with DL/ST to having to connect (and at time double connect) to get just about anywhere (although there is an ATL - FRA and ATL - IST that can help depending on when/where you are going)
jtatlanta likes this.
Old Jul 25, 2022, 2:19 pm
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
Originally Posted by photojojo
Unrelated yet slightly related... I've been trying to book my first trip since 1998 on United.com and holy snots; I will never - ever - again speak negatively of DL.com again.

The grass ain't always greener.
Just curious what you found worse about the UA website compared to DL? IMO while the UA site has its faults too, I can think of a number of advantages of the UA site off the top of my head
  • it remembers multiple recent searches
  • shows fares for adjacent dates too, easy to switch and compare using a tabbed format
  • the display is more compact, showing more results at once
  • see seat maps/details via expanding sections directly in the search results, not a slow pop-up that takes forever to load
  • you can enable expert mode to see full revenue bucket inventory
  • you can apply the equivalent of upgrade certs yourself, even on partner airlines
  • it shows you partner PNRs on applicable bookings
  • it shows FF program accruals for upcoming trips, not just during the booking process
unitedbusiness and ATOBTTR like this.
Old Jul 25, 2022, 3:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Silver
Same boat as OP. 2m lifetime BIS miles but find myself flying cheaper airlines when I pay and more reliable ones when company pays.
They screw you over and say too bad. They have slashed customer service to the bone.
And they don’t care. My last 4 flights have had cancellations due to crew shortages and I got no compensation. (Including today).
Flying TATL in a month. Delta $400-600 more than the competition. Can upgrade on other airlines and have a better experience.
They won’t care, but I do.
jtatlanta likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.