FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Thinking of finally leaving Delta
View Single Post
Old Jul 25, 2022, 1:19 pm
Duke787
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by jtatlanta
Thanks for all the responses that added value by offering fact based opinion. This was the intent of my post to see what I was missing specifically between BA and Delta.

Seems like Star Alliance also worth looking at before jumping.
I would take *A over OW just about any day if Europe is your typical destination.

The OW folks are going to tell you that OW is better because OWE gives you F lounge access while *A tops out at J/*G lounge access (depending on airport and what is actually there). The big drawback IMO is back to the LHR is your primary connection point into Europe piece.

Yes you could go via MAD or HEL but that's not really all that realistic, you are basically either on AA metal or are connecting on BA via LHR and you still are stuck with the fuel surcharges.

Benefits of *G in Europe is that you have a TON of different connection points (FRA, MUC, ZRH, GVA, YYZ, YUL, BRU, VIE, IST) and a lot more flexibility in mid-tier to upper tier airlines (LH group, UA of course, Air Canada, TK). Award redemptions vary but at least on UA while mileage can range (same as DL) they only pass along taxes/fees no fuel surcharges.

The biggest challenge (same as with AA) is that you are based at ATL you go from direct (or single-stop) flights with DL/ST to having to connect (and at time double connect) to get just about anywhere (although there is an ATL - FRA and ATL - IST that can help depending on when/where you are going)