Community
Wiki Posts
Search

DL to restart Berlin

Search this Thread

Old Jul 22, 2022, 1:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by underattack
I just looked at a random flight JFK->TXL and noticed the last 5 rows of economy being non-bookable. It was a 767-300. Are they already hedging for a smaller plane if demand does not work out? What would be the smaller option for that route? Can a 757 do this flight (I think Delta used it for the STR in the past but sometimes had to add a refueling stop)

As pointed out above, while TXL was a zoo running at a multiple of its designed load, TXL was super efficient. I have not had a chance to fly out of BER yet.
I'm guessing to accommodate PS mods? Does the aircraft shown have a PS cabin currently?
Old Jul 22, 2022, 2:12 pm

Programs: DL DM/2MM, UA PE, HH Gold
Originally Posted by flyerCO
I'm guessing to accommodate PS mods? Does the aircraft shown have a PS cabin currently?
This. Right now it's showing an non-PS 767 which prohably gone by next may. A B757 can make to Berlin with an fuel stop going westbound now and then, depending on winds.
Old Jul 22, 2022, 3:07 pm

Programs: DL PM, Bonvoy Gold
Or crew rest? I can't remember where FA crew rest is located on the 767s.
Old Jul 22, 2022, 3:08 pm

Originally Posted by ryanm
It's super far out (near the old SXF), with very few direct links on public transit, so from central Berlin it's easily double, maybe triple, the commuting time and also way more expensive if you take a car. It also doesn't have much more capacity than TXL and SXF did combined, which has made many folks wonder what exactly the point was. Long security lines, which of course TXL never had since every gate did its own (until the added side buildings, like for AF/KL, but those served so few gates that they were never an issue).

For me TXL was perfect: super close to the city, easily reachable on public transit, and never a problem with lines or waits. It was not fancy, obviously, but as someone who started going to Berlin in the late 90s a pointed lack of fanciness is exactly what I wanted and expected. Now BER reads like an anodyne, moderately wealthy Northern European airport, its physical distance from the city matched by a total lack of Berlin style/feel in the airport itself.

Well now you've just made me nostalgic for TXL. I mostly just disliked getting trapped in your gate area. The AF lounge was not great, though when it was not busy it was OK except for not having restrooms.
Old Jul 22, 2022, 3:34 pm
Original Poster

Programs: IATA, Sabre, AvgeekAgent
Originally Posted by BER Flyer
This. Right now it's showing an non-PS 767 which prohably gone by next may. A B757 can make to Berlin with an fuel stop going westbound now and then, depending on winds.
I've not checked every date available for sale, but on a few that I did check, the flight is showing premium select for sale and on seat maps. I suspect the seats are blocked for families/groups.
Old Jul 22, 2022, 4:07 pm

Originally Posted by jdrtravel
All 767s have a "containerized" flight attendant crew rest below the cabin. The pilots have a Delta One seat permanently blocked off.
Old Jul 22, 2022, 4:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by NYC Flyer
I've not checked every date available for sale, but on a few that I did check, the flight is showing premium select for sale and on seat maps. I suspect the seats are blocked for families/groups.
Are you sure that it is JFK-BER nonstop and not another connection?

DL only blocks the 2 last rows normally for families.
Old Jul 22, 2022, 4:58 pm
Original Poster

Are you sure that it is JFK-BER nonstop and not another connection?

DL only blocks the 2 last rows normally for families.
I am certain that JFK-BER nonstop has PS loaded for sale and that it's reflected in the seatmaps. I've not really looked at the number of economy rows blocked on any particular flight..
Old Jul 22, 2022, 5:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

I am certain that JFK-BER nonstop has PS loaded for sale and that it's reflected in the seatmaps. I've not really looked at the number of economy rows blocked on any particular flight..
The post we've been discussing is about having 5 rows blocked. I'm guessing its due to not all 763 having PS yet. Since another user states they saw seatmap without PS, there's at least some dates loaded with an unmodded 763.
Old Jul 22, 2022, 5:44 pm
Original Poster

The post we've been discussing is about having 5 rows blocked. I'm guessing its due to not all 763 having PS yet. Since another user states they saw seatmap without PS, there's at least some dates loaded with an unmodded 763.
Yes, 5 blocked rows and no PS seatmap. Every date for sale currently shows rows 54/55 blocked and shows PS seating. Looks like Mon/Wed flights are also now zeroed out, so things appear to be in flux still.
Old Jul 23, 2022, 7:06 am

FA's are below deck, pilots are D1.
Yes, 5 blocked rows and no PS seatmap. Every date for sale currently shows rows 54/55 blocked and shows PS seating. Looks like Mon/Wed flights are also now zeroed out, so things appear to be in flux still.
I wouldn't count on anything as far as PS and the 763 for next year now. Its still sort of questionable how many will get mods as there is talk that a few more will get the 76K mod and stay longer than originally planned.

The 767 and 717 fleet is still VERY fluid right now but its looking like both will be larger than originally planned and for longer.
Old Jul 24, 2022, 1:26 pm

Programs: Delta Death March, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Plat, Marriott/Hilton Gold Life
Well now you've just made me nostalgic for TXL. I mostly just disliked getting trapped in your gate area. The AF lounge was not great, though when it was not busy it was OK except for not having restrooms.
back when I flew to TXL I did what I thought normal people did - grab breakfast/drinks in the restaurant...
... cheaper than the SkyClub wine++ prices.
Old Jul 26, 2022, 4:25 am

Programs: DL DM/1MM, Natl Exec Elite, Bonvoy Plat, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Diam
Originally Posted by mlin32
Let's be honest- while Berlin is the political capital and popular with tourists, the economic capitals of Germany remain Frankfurt and Munich. That's not going to change (and neither will the business travellers). And given LH has all its logistics and contracts set up at FRA and MUC, to make yet a 3rd city within Germany a hub wouldn't work.
I was in Berlin on December 2010, big blizzard, lots of trains stopped including the S-bahn to Tegel. I arrived at TXL, late, and my plane was still on the gate, but check in had closed. If only I had checked in online and had a boarding pass, but 12 years ago, I was dumb. Despite the plane being on the stand, and this being a totally doable flight, perhaps I was pushing my luck in a blizzard. I have some spidey senses about traveling, and this one was tingling.

It was only helped by the Menzies or whoever agent at TXL when she rebooked me for TOMORROW for a 8:30AM flight. I was like... hold up... TWO capital cities in Europe and there's a SINGLE flight a day between the two?! And her non plus response I still hear in my nightmares: "To be fair sir, these are capital cities... in name only. See you tomorrow."

And she's not wrong. DUB and BER are two capital cities with little economic co-interest.
hhdl likes this.
Old Jul 26, 2022, 11:25 am

Originally Posted by lindros2
back when I flew to TXL I did what I thought normal people did - grab breakfast/drinks in the restaurant...
... cheaper than the SkyClub wine++ prices.
Not sure what you mean? There is no SkyClub in Berlin and drinks at airport lounges are included with entrance, and entrance is included in the ticket for business pax or pax with Sky Team Elite+ status.
Old Jul 26, 2022, 1:37 pm

Programs: Delta Death March, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Plat, Marriott/Hilton Gold Life
Not sure what you mean? There is no SkyClub in Berlin and drinks at airport lounges are included with entrance, and entrance is included in the ticket for business pax or pax with Sky Team Elite+ status.
Drinks are included?
https://news.delta.com/delta-serves-...elta-sky-clubs

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.