DL to restart Berlin

Old Jul 18, 2022, 5:00 pm
Original Poster

Programs: IATA, Sabre, AvgeekAgent
DL to restart Berlin

Daily JFK-BER service from 25MAY23 with the 767-300ER.

Reported by Simple Flying and already for sale in the GDS. No apparent details as to whether this is seasonal or year-round.
SUPERTRAVEL, jiburi, FabCW and 2 others like this.
Old Jul 18, 2022, 5:29 pm

Originally Posted by NYC Flyer
Daily JFK-BER service from 25MAY23 with the 767-300ER.
This would be quite useful for me .... if I could get to JFK in any sane way
Old Jul 19, 2022, 1:32 am

Programs: DL 1MM Annual Silver,AS 100K 22-24, AS 75K 15-21
Great news. Since the collapse of Air Berlin, and it’s major delay of opening of the BER airport, Berlin has lost access to so many non-stop flights. Berlin is definitely an under-served market with huge business and governmental presence. I also think LH will someday declare BER to become one of their hub (after FRA and MUC).

Eventually, I also think we will also get ATL flight to BER. Only time will tell.

Jiburi
photojojo likes this.
Old Jul 19, 2022, 1:57 am

Programs: Hhonors Gold, DL PM
STR also comes back around the same time.
JBa likes this.
Old Jul 19, 2022, 4:00 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by jiburi
Great news. Since the collapse of Air Berlin, and it’s major delay of opening of the BER airport, Berlin has lost access to so many non-stop flights. Berlin is definitely an under-served market with huge business and governmental presence. I also think LH will someday declare BER to become one of their hub (after FRA and MUC).

Eventually, I also think we will also get ATL flight to BER. Only time will tell.

Jiburi
I suspect that flights are down at CGN since the government left Bonn. LH used to run TATL nonstops to/from CGN.
Old Jul 19, 2022, 4:15 am

Programs: DL DM/2MM, UA PE, HH Gold
Well, what should i say...it's about time!
NYC Flyer, photojojo and doubleA like this.
Old Jul 19, 2022, 5:20 am

Programs: FB Gold
Let's be honest- while Berlin is the political capital and popular with tourists, the economic capitals of Germany remain Frankfurt and Munich. That's not going to change (and neither will the business travellers). And given LH has all its logistics and contracts set up at FRA and MUC, to make yet a 3rd city within Germany a hub wouldn't work.
photojojo and doubleA like this.
Old Jul 19, 2022, 6:06 am

Programs: British Airways Gold
Great news. Since the collapse of Air Berlin, and its major delay of opening of the BER airport, Berlin has lost access to so many non-stop flights. Berlin is definitely an under-served market with huge business and governmental presence. I also think LH will someday declare BER to become one of their hub (after FRA and MUC).

Jiburi
You paint a pretty picture but it simply isn't true. By German standards Berlin lacks affluence and there isn't much business traffic. Things have improved since the 'poor but sexy' days but it is still a low yield market driven by tourism.
hhdl likes this.
Old Jul 19, 2022, 6:16 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL DM, SPG Plat, Hilton Gold
Great news. Since the collapse of Air Berlin, and its major delay of opening of the BER airport, Berlin has lost access to so many non-stop flights. Berlin is definitely an under-served market with huge business and governmental presence. I also think LH will someday declare BER to become one of their hub (after FRA and MUC).

Jiburi
Not so. While Berlin is a lovely city, it is extremely low yield with almost zero business traffic. ATL to BER will not happen - although DL did fly ATL-HAM-TXL back in the 90s but DL is not going to ever bring back a tag flight!

This flight is just to apply pressure on Norse Atlantic which somehow thinks BER is going to be a barn burner of a market, apparently. By the time DL starts this flight, Norse may be already BK (again)...
Old Jul 19, 2022, 7:39 am

Programs: DL PM, Bonvoy Gold
Isn't there a growing tech presence in Berlin? The city has certainly gotten a lot more expensive than it was even 10 years ago, with lots of young people moving there. Sort of reminds me of San Francisco.

I travel there every couple of years and really wish there were at least one west coast option on any airline to fly into BER. The connections at AMS or CDG have become such a pain.
Old Jul 19, 2022, 8:44 am

Programs: FB Gold
Originally Posted by jdrtravel
Isn't there a growing tech presence in Berlin? The city has certainly gotten a lot more expensive than it was even 10 years ago, with lots of young people moving there. Sort of reminds me of San Francisco.

I travel there every couple of years and really wish there were at least one west coast option on any airline to fly into BER. The connections at AMS or CDG have become such a pain.
Germany ? Technology ? Most of us are still on DSL. Every politician has been talking about digitalisation since decades and we're still doing simple things like household and vehicle registration mostly in-person going to the city hall. Berlin might have a younger clientele but certainly it's not the next business centre of Europe = that's no business case to open a permanent flight route from LAX or SEA.

DL runs to ATL year-round with the A330 nicely with the business and US military links, and also to MUC with business and tourism. But a direct DL flight from the US west coast to Berlin I just don't see.
photojojo and hhdl like this.
Old Jul 19, 2022, 9:17 am

Programs: DL DM/2MM, UA PE, HH Gold
Originally Posted by jdrtravel

There certainly is. Berlin is now hosting more start-ups and more fin-tech's then any other city in Germany. Business is booming, Berlin is a lot different then it was in the 90's.
Old Jul 19, 2022, 9:36 am
formerly Sleepy_Sentry

I will be even more excited when MIAT returns.
Old Jul 19, 2022, 9:58 am

Programs: DL PM, Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by mlin32
Germany ? Technology ? Most of us are still on DSL. Every politician has been talking about digitalisation since decades and we're still doing simple things like household and vehicle registration mostly in-person going to the city hall.
But isn't there a difference between entrenched German bureaucracy (which will change when pigs fly) and start-up culture?
Old Jul 19, 2022, 11:50 am

Programs: DL; AA; UA; CO; LHLX; NZ; QR; EK; BA
Originally Posted by AviationFreak
STR also comes back around the same time.
STR's return has been delayed and delayed and delayed (it was also supposed to come back this winter, and now it's pushed till next summer). STR is all about business and it's clear that the business travel segment hasn't recovered to nearly the level that DL thinks they need for the nonstop to return. Delta probably believes the leisure travel segment to Europe (with US-originating pax) next summer is still going to be 'hot' and where it's at...hence they are already bringing back BER this far in advance. Unlike STR which has been rescheduled and rescheduled since the pandemic start, Berlin was completely dropped indefinitely at the start of the pandemic...

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.