Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Frequent problem: In-flight live TV suddenly rewinds about 90 seconds

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 1, 2022, 9:57 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL Platinum, "alum" of high status with UA but not any more

Mods: I tried to search the forum to see if this has been covered before, but could not find any such thread. If there is such a thread, feel free to move this post, or delete it.

This has now happened to me on enough flights that I am convinced it isn't "just me" and is in fact recurrent glitch: I'm (passively) watching live TV aboard a DL flight, and suddenly it rewinds about 60-90 seconds. This is independent of any in-flight announcements, has nothing to do with the timing of commercial breaks, has no connection to any simultaneous engagement by me with the IFE, or any other correlate. Most commonly when I watch live TV, it is CNBC or CNN; it has happened on both of those networks. It seems to happen about once or twice an hour.

Any ideas what this is all about? Is Delta aware of it? It's rather annoying.
Old Jun 1, 2022, 10:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by andrewk829
Any ideas what this is all about?
Sounds like a glitch in The Matrix.
Old Jun 1, 2022, 11:15 pm

Mods: I tried to search the forum to see if this has been covered before, but could not find any such thread. If there is such a thread, feel free to move this post, or delete it.

This has now happened to me on enough flights that I am convinced it isn't "just me" and is in fact recurrent glitch: I'm (passively) watching live TV aboard a DL flight, and suddenly it rewinds about 60-90 seconds. This is independent of any in-flight announcements, has nothing to do with the timing of commercial breaks, has no connection to any simultaneous engagement by me with the IFE, or any other correlate. Most commonly when I watch live TV, it is CNBC or CNN; it has happened on both of those networks. It seems to happen about once or twice an hour.

Any ideas what this is all about? Is Delta aware of it? It's rather annoying.
As a flight attendant I have never seen this glitch or been made aware of it. Curiously - Have you had this issue on both viasat and gogo planes? If I had to guess the system probably buffers a certain amount of content To keep a continuous stream given connection is not entirely lossless and perhaps something happens during that process?
Old Jun 1, 2022, 11:23 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, UA Premier Gold
Ive noticed it. Only an issue on Viasat birds.
Flyer0889 likes this.
Old Jun 1, 2022, 11:37 pm

Originally Posted by DLASflyer
Ive noticed it. Only an issue on Viasat birds.
Good data point - I believe the sat tv is streamed via the wifi provider. Ill keep an eye out and write it up on my trips if I notice it
diniasi and andrewk829 like this.
Old Jun 2, 2022, 5:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Sometimes known as [ARG:6 UNDEFINED]
Sounds like Viasat is buffering 60-90 seconds to handle transient outages in the air, but instead of always being 60-90 seconds behind, it's jumping back 60-90 seconds when it loses signal.
flyerCO likes this.
Old Jun 5, 2022, 5:00 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL Platinum, "alum" of high status with UA but not any more
Originally Posted by Flyer0889
As a flight attendant I have never seen this glitch or been made aware of it. Curiously - Have you had this issue on both viasat and gogo planes? If I had to guess the system probably buffers a certain amount of content To keep a continuous stream given connection is not entirely lossless and perhaps something happens during that process?
I've refrained from reporting this to a flight attendant because it is really not that big of a deal and I hate to bother FAs with something relatively minor . . . especially when I doubt there is much they can do about it. But, when it happens again, perhaps I'll report it in the context of "FYI".
DLASflyer likes this.
Old Jun 5, 2022, 6:50 pm

Programs: DL DM & 5MM, WN
This is a new feature. There is a tiny camera in the seat back. When it sees you losing attention, it rewinds a short segment so you can catch up.
Goodoldflyer likes this.
Old Jun 5, 2022, 7:46 pm

I actually had this happen to me today on a LAX-DTW flight. Dont know if it was a Viasat or Gogo bird.

All I know is that it was during the NY-TB playoff game and I had to watch the same damn goal over again.
DenverBrian and doubleA like this.
Old Jun 5, 2022, 8:09 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, UA Premier Gold
Originally Posted by pmblinn
I actually had this happen to me today on a LAX-DTW flight. Dont know if it was a Viasat or Gogo bird.
A321 = Viasat
Old Jun 7, 2022, 11:17 pm

Had this happen once Pre-Covid (2019, maybe?) to my seat only. FA scanned my boarding pass and gave me 15k miles. Switched seats with my spouse who only wanted to sleep and watched that tv instead.
Old Jun 8, 2022, 2:05 am

Programs: DL, UA, AA
Originally Posted by Justin026
This is a new feature. There is a tiny camera in the seat back. When it sees you losing attention, it rewinds a short segment so you can catch up.

* Also if you haven't complained about anything lately... Trying to give you an excuse to visit the "Rants" thread.
Old Jun 8, 2022, 2:26 am

I'm (passively) watching live TV aboard a DL flight, and suddenly it rewinds about 60-90 seconds. ... It seems to happen about once or twice an hour.
Perhaps the playback engine in your seat's IFE is running slightly fast? When the player runs out of buffered video, it may replay the buffer instead of showing a blue screen.

Lets do some math: Assume it happens every 45 minutes, and the player jumps back 90 seconds. That means it played 2700 seconds of video in 2610 seconds, and then repeated the last 90 seconds. That's 3.4% fast. Hmmm, that's right in the range of the 4% "PAL speed-up" when a 24 frame-per-second film is played on 50Hz based PAL TV's.

FYI, I think I've experienced this TV rewind while watching news on a Delta 739.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.