Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Booking Economy Light via Delta vs Air France

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 25, 2022, 4:19 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, B6 Mosaic 2, AS MVP Gold

Looking at an upcoming AF transatlantic onto Scandinavia flight connecting through CDG (cue the groans), and have the option to book at the same price via Air France and Delta. Usually I book with the foreign carrier if they're operating the flight, also because the MQDs usually work out better that way. I was thinking about booking with Delta to just use up some pandemic-era eCredits.

This particular fare is a economy light fare, and I am a lowly Silver Medallion. When I attempt to book with Delta via my SkyMiles account, I get all of the "can't choose a seat, bags aren't free, won't earn skymiles" etc. stuff that comes up when booking DL basic economy. If I book through Air France, is all of that still the same? I couldn't seem to find any good info on the mileage earning in particular - I added my # to a trial reservation and it didn't really change anything on their website.
Old May 25, 2022, 10:19 pm

Don't have an answer to your question but wanted to note the following:
  1. Delta's Basic Economy does not provide any MQMs or MQDs
  2. For many main cabin fare classes, MQDs will generally be better when booking via Delta unless you find a good deal or are flying very far. For example, the R, G, V, and X fare classes only give you 5% MQDs for distance flown. Not sure where you're originating, but if you flew SEA-CDG-ARN-CDG-SEA that's a bit over 13,000 miles flown RT, which would be a bit over 650 MQDs. If you originate from JFK instead, it's a bit over 9,000 miles for a bit over 450 MQDs.
  3. Don't forget about free changes with Delta when booking Main Cabin. Even if you are confident that your plans will not change, this is still incredibly useful if the price of the flights go down. On a recent trip I did to MXP, one of my friends booked BE while I booked Main and the price of the flight dropped by $150, so I was able to "modify" my flight to the same flight and get $150 of eCredit so my ticket actually ended up cheaper than his.
Old May 25, 2022, 10:31 pm
VFR

Programs: AA PP, DL PM
You probably want to book the AF flight numbers because...

1. Air France charges for seat selection on both regular economy fares and basic economy fares. I believe you will receive free standard seat selection as a Silver Medallion.
2. Air France basic economy fares will earn RDMs, MQMs, and MQDs.
3. Delta.com will price a completely AF-marketed transatlantic itinerary, which may let you use your Delta eCredits. You usually have to use something like ITA Matrix PowerTools for this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.