Community
Wiki Posts
Search

MSP C SkyClub - Are you kidding me?

Search this Thread

Old May 24, 2022, 6:50 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, SPG/MR Plat, Kimpton IC, IHG Spire Elite, Hilton Gold
I heard from the MSP SkyClub Manager that after the new club on G opens they are going to update the C club with a more substantial food prep area and a permanent bar.
Oakshadow and Return2flight like this.
Old May 26, 2022, 5:39 am

Originally Posted by Oakshadow
When I entered and looked around I said to the lounge dragon, "Is this a 1995 time capsule?" He laughed and responded, "Yeah, about twelve years ago they switched out the 'Northwest' signs for 'Delta' ones and called it a day." It looks crazy dated and doesn't feel particularly "luxurious." Outlets, if you can find them, were non-operational for me. The mens room stall doors have cracks so wide you might as well sell tickets to the Larry Craig Fan Club. Even the public bathrooms at this airport have the nice private closets.

Sure some people probably like the look. I just think it's old.

Are there any plans to upgrade this one?
Very sorry you had to sit in an old room and see ... wood. Thoughts and prayers.
Old May 26, 2022, 7:09 am

Programs: Non-Affiliated
Originally Posted by Minnyappleus
LAX, SLC, AUS, PHX, DTW - to name a few of the very nice new clubs.
The clubs at DTW (except perhaps the new one, as I haven't been there yet) have the same look and feel of MSP C club. Other than some deltification to cram more people in and eliminate some privacy, these clubs haven't changed much since 2002 when the terminal opened. DTW still looks and feels new to me. (This was my home airport for my first 20 years of flying).
DTWflyer, Singleflyer and dtwlarry like this.
Old May 26, 2022, 8:48 am

Programs: Delta DM/3 MM; Hertz PC; National EE; Amtrak GR; Bonvoy Silver; Via Rail Préférence
Originally Posted by Beckles
There are a lot of SkyClubs I haven't been to, where are the 'particularly "luxurious"' ones I'm missing out on?
I was in the AUS club last week; it was the second time I visited there. It is a candidate for nicest airport lounge in the USA.

Among the older clubs in the Delta system, TPA is my favorite. Along with ATL A17, ATL Centerpoint and CVG Concourse B, it is one of the last Crown Rooms in the system that haven't changed much since the merger.
Old May 26, 2022, 8:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by james318
The clubs at DTW (except perhaps the new one, as I haven't been there yet) have the same look and feel of MSP C club. Other than some deltification to cram more people in and eliminate some privacy, these clubs haven't changed much since 2002 when the terminal opened. DTW still looks and feels new to me. (This was my home airport for my first 20 years of flying).
They have somewhat similar look, but there have definitely been more significant demos/space updates in the DTW clubs than MSP C (which was in pretty rough shape and still has a private cubicle area last time I went through).
Old May 26, 2022, 9:30 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Save our cubicles!

Note that this refers exclusively to airport lounge cubicles and not those in offices.
Old May 26, 2022, 9:54 am

Programs: DL PM MM, AA Platinum Pro, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Gold
I kind of like the club in MSP Concourse C. It always felt more cozy and less crazy than the one by Concourse F. Overall though, pretty much every Sky Club is much better than the Admirals Club or United Club. Especially the new clubs like SEA, LAX, LGA (soon to open), SLC, AUS, PHX, Etc as mentioned above. If you ever get the chance to see the hot mess the PHL B/C Admirals Club is, well, you'll be grateful for any Sky Club.
ilovemiles and Singleflyer like this.
Old May 26, 2022, 1:16 pm

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by DLmedalliongold
I kind of like the club in MSP Concourse C. It always felt more cozy and less crazy than the one by Concourse F. Overall though, pretty much every Sky Club is much better than the Admirals Club or United Club. Especially the new clubs like SEA, LAX, LGA (soon to open), SLC, AUS, PHX, Etc as mentioned above. If you ever get the chance to see the hot mess the PHL B/C Admirals Club is, well, you'll be grateful for any Sky Club.
To me, the decor and general ambience in MSP C is much more relaxing than F/G (since its Deltafication). The chrome, white plastic, and blue is jarring and tends to make me tense. I used to like the PMNW F/G lounge because it had cubicles near the windows that got some sunlight. The C cubicles are in a windowless room, as are the other remaining SC cubicles that I know (such as the red train endpoints at DTW, although there might be a few left in the main DTW SC that have windows over the concourse and TSA checkpoint, looking toward the new SC there).
Singleflyer, bdnyc and tvnwz like this.
Old Jun 26, 2022, 3:41 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium & Lifetime Platinum, United Platinum, Delta Silver
Originally Posted by Beckles
There are a lot of SkyClubs I haven't been to, where are the 'particularly "luxurious"' ones I'm missing out on?
I think DCA is a pretty nice and modern SkyClub with "real" plates and usually a good food spread.

ATL Terminal T is pretty good as well.

I really want to check out SLC, AUS, and PHX.
Old Jun 26, 2022, 3:46 pm

Originally Posted by DCFlyer0306
I think DCA is a pretty nice and modern SkyClub with "real" plates and usually a good food spread.

ATL Terminal T is pretty good as well.

I really want to check out SLC, AUS, and PHX.
ATL T and A center point are terrible. The absolute worst. Its so bad that no one should go to either of them. You wanna talk about a nice ATL club? B is great. Everyone should go there. 100%. You are missing out if you waste your time on T or A center. Even if B has a line you should stay there and not cause T/A center to have lines form.
Old Jun 26, 2022, 4:12 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Gold, GlobalEntry, Admirals Club, United Club
People talk about how awesome the AUS lounge is. I'm there a lot. I like it and have no complaints, but I think it's way overrated. It's nowhere near a "luxurious lounge". Again, no complaints, but if you haven't been there, I feel like you could get this idea that it's an incredible experience based on the comments here. It's no Qantas LAX, let alone many international clubs. I also really like the LAX SC because they always seem to have great food options (even better than AUS), the employees are absolutely fantastic, and I like the people watching opportunities around the buffet line, but it's also not "luxurious". I think nothing says that more than when you try to use the bathroom there.

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Save our cubicles!

Note that this refers exclusively to airport lounge cubicles and not those in offices.
Lol I worked in a cubicle for around 5 years (actually wasn't a cubicle, was just a desk with the cubicle type walls on the back and both sides) and thought it was awful. Then they went to no cubicles and everyone was very excited, but all they did was take down the walls which reduced privacy from a little bit to none at all.
Old Jun 28, 2022, 9:23 am

Programs: Delta Skymiles
I like the small NW lounges in DTW. Almost nobody uses them. The food options are limited, but that's okay usually. I also like the CVG lounge because it is massive and nobody flies into CVG anymore.

The new DTW lounge is tiny and underwhelming. I don't know why they didn't make it bigger. It seems like it could have gone further back. The main lounge at DTW is always way too crowded.

Also MCO needs to be reopened. It is too tiny with how big MCO has gotten.
Old Jun 28, 2022, 9:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by cfabar1
I like the small NW lounges in DTW. Almost nobody uses them. The food options are limited, but that's okay usually. I also like the CVG lounge because it is massive and nobody flies into CVG anymore.

The new DTW lounge is tiny and underwhelming. I don't know why they didn't make it bigger. It seems like it could have gone further back. The main lounge at DTW is always way too crowded.

There's space behind the new DTW lounge that used to be the LH lounge, but is now used for training and possibly some office space. DL used to use it, but I think TSA is using it now. I'd hope that maybe DL could take that space over at some point and expand new lounge into it.
Old Jun 28, 2022, 11:58 am

Originally Posted by cfabar1

The problem with the smaller (PMNW) lounges in DTW at the ends of the overhead red train route is that they have limited hours which I find difficult to remember, so that I tend not to go out of my way for one. OTOH when I land at a high A or low A gate, I'll head to the lounge before taking the little train if the one on the station platform seems to be open. I've been burned a few times when I took the train, anticipating that I could use the lounge at the endpoint, but it was closed, including once where I had made plans to meet someone there (which then caused a lot of confusion about when and where we would find each other).
Old Jun 28, 2022, 12:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
The problem with the smaller (PMNW) lounges in DTW at the ends of the overhead red train route is that they have limited hours which I find difficult to remember, so that I tend not to go out of my way for one. OTOH when I land at a high A or low A gate, I'll head to the lounge before taking the little train if the one on the station platform seems to be open. I've been burned a few times when I took the train, anticipating that I could use the lounge at the endpoint, but it was closed, including once where I had made plans to meet someone there (which then caused a lot of confusion about when and where we would find each other).
The clubs on the ends of A used to be closed on Saturdays and opened later (1:30PM) on Sundays. They are now open from 6AM to 9PM every day.
dtwlarry likes this.

Last edited by xliioper; Jun 28, 2022 at 12:55 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.